• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers 47 and 48

18 posts in this topic

I just sent Avengers 47 and 48 to CGC to get graded. Pristine copies and I am reasonably certain they'll come back with at least a 9.4 each. 

My question: does anyone feel that the Black Knight hype and run-up in price for these books will have any staying power?

I would like to sell them and put the $ towards buying a lower grade major key.

Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on the topic?

3 hours ago, EPiehler said:

I just sent Avengers 47 and 48 to CGC to get graded. Pristine copies and I am reasonably certain they'll come back with at least a 9.4 each. 

My question: does anyone feel that the Black Knight hype and run-up in price for these books will have any staying power?

Sell after the first trailer

16 hours ago, EPiehler said:

IMO I think a books staying power is relative to how well the movie does, if the bump in price is from the Movie hype, etc... But generally selling after the first trailer release is probably a good peak to sell. 

8 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

IMO I think a books staying power is relative to how well the movie does, if the bump in price is from the Movie hype, etc... But generally selling after the first trailer release is probably a good peak to sell. 

Or, its "staying power" is relative to how good the comic actually is.

Idk. Food for thought.

Just now, theCapraAegagrus said:

Or, its "staying power" is relative to how good the comic actually is.

Idk. Food for thought.

yeah for sure staying power is related to how good the comic is too. This is why I said in my OP " if the bump in price is from the Movie hype".. as in the movie hype increase in price would be influenced by how well the movie does as well.

1 minute ago, Krismusic said:

yeah for sure staying power is related to how good the comic is too. This is why I said in my OP " if the bump in price is from the Movie hype".. as in the movie hype increase in price would be influenced by how well the movie does as well.

I disagree.

Infinity War and Endgame are tremendous movies, yet the comics they derive from (mainly Infinity Gauntlet and Infinity) have fallen in prices since Endgame has left theaters.

That's a small sample size, and I have also seen many Marvel keys continue to drop in price in the last few months, but I don't think movie hype bumps last long-term (regardless of film quality). Has there ever been a "spec book" that didn't drop?

2 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I disagree.

Infinity War and Endgame are tremendous movies, yet the comics they derive from (mainly Infinity Gauntlet and Infinity) have fallen in prices since Endgame has left theaters.

That's a small sample size, and I have also seen many Marvel keys continue to drop in price in the last few months, but I don't think movie hype bumps last long-term (regardless of film quality). Has there ever been a "spec book" that didn't drop?

Not sure haven't done any research on that my thoughts were Black panther, Dr strange where I believe their books are holding their increased value I mean its obviously a up and down at times but the increase gains haven't completely vanished from the small examples I have seen.  But I haven't done much research on this as I dont really buy much spec books I buy stuff I like, think is cool and for nostalgia, etc.. 

Just now, Krismusic said:

Not sure haven't done any research on that my thoughts were Black panther, Dr strange where I believe their books are holding their increased value I mean its obviously a up and down at times but the increase gains haven't completely vanished from the small examples I have seen.  But I haven't done much research on this as I dont really buy much spec books I buy stuff I like, think is cool and for nostalgia, etc.. 

It's just that stuff like The Dark Knight Returns was always going to increase in value, regardless of Dawn of Justice's hype, and also regardless of BvS' subsequent 'downturn' because of the Theatrical Cut.

On the flip side, Death of Superman saw a bump, and a subsequent fall. I personally love the series, but some don't, and it was printed in abundance.

Movie hype will always get a rise and fall because of the 'sugar crash'. People aren't talking about it anymore. People aren't speculating about it anymore. There are always outliers, but this is my detective observation lol.

I think there are plenty of comics that have 'held value' (worth significantly more than before the movie was announced), but very few that have plateaued at their highest point.  Unless you think there's a chance they spinoff Black Knight into its own movie, I wouldn't hold it past the opening weekend (if you think he's gonna be the breakout character), otherwise sell after the first trailer he's heavily featured in.

5 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:
16 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

Think about how well GOTG did! They were D-list too.

This is true, but, IMO it's easier to made a D-list team into a successful venture than a single character.

But it does present a reasonable case study if a person was into doing all the maths.  I think there's enough of a sample size now. 

Get the data sample points for GPA (or whatever pricing service you want) for 1st appearance comics at various points in the process:

1.  Movie announcement

2. Casting News:

3.  Trailers

4.  Month before opening

5.  2 weeks before opening

6. 1 week before opening

7.  Opening weekend.

8.  2 weeks after opening

9.  1 month after opening.

10. 6 Months after opening

11.  1 year after movie.

12.  Sequel announcement

You can then sort by age of comic, member of team, villain or hero, men or women, whatever, major/minor character, Marvel/DC/Other, etc. Of course would could also take as many grade data points as they could handle.

Of course some industrious people might already be doing this and not sharing with the public.

Does 'staying power' simply mean that a book's value will always rise (or plateau) and never drop some? Or can a book rise in value drastically but come back down in value to a point higher than before (maybe much higher)?

8 minutes ago, Gaard said:

Does 'staying power' simply mean that a book's value will always rise (or plateau) and never drop some? Or can a book rise in value drastically but come back down in value to a point higher than before (maybe much higher)?

I am very confused by this question...

7 minutes ago, Gaard said:

That part is kind of subjective to everyone.  I would say that if it can sustain 75% of the absolute growth from before the announcement to the peak, that would definitely be sustaining for my personal definition.