• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's up with crazy prices for RAW books?

79 posts in this topic

Am I missing something here? Sub Mariner 8 RAW 4.5X guide for a raw Subby book? I've been looking at that book since it went up but I figured 100-120 at most. WAY off. Granted it looked sweet and is probably the best Subby cover but it's raw. A raw MS 5 went for 3X guide, there's a post about it somewhere and then there's the JGreen bidding. Are prices for NM raw books going up or are these abberations? Curious to see what Hammer thinks the grade was on that Subby 8 since he was bidding on it. Hammer?

I think it's just this issue. Highest grade is a CGC 9.6 and only 6 so far. This copy from boojiwbucket looks to possible be better. or a 9.6 at least...a potential blockbuster top census bronze issue sale in the making.

a potential blockbuster top census bronze issue sale in the making.

We all know that the best books are bought in person! I have never gotten a 9.6 or better top census book that was not bought in person! I guess people are starting to take chances with their $$! cool.gif

Funny...I have never gotten a 9.6 or better top census book that WAS bought in person!

OK, I mean buying it raw and then having it graded. frown.gif

are you not one of the elite submitters to have submitted 9.9 and even 10.0 moderns

One of many, but not one of my "elite world class high grade 9.9 and 10.0s" were ever bought over a dealers table or over the comic shop counter.

Based on the image, I thought that the Sub 8 was accurately graded. Like FF112, the Sub 8 is a VERY difficult late silver/early bronze "transition" age acquisition. I was hoping that the book-in-hand would match the quality evident in the image and that it would be free from the all too common black area color touch when it arrived, if I had won it. For $200+, I thought that the book and seller posed a viable "gamble" that I was willing to take.

Finally got your Valiants back eh? BWAHAHAHAHA!

Now, you'll never get your filthy hands on that Marvel Feature 1 CGC 9.8! tongue.gifmad.gif

I thought your books were top-secret info g???

Screw it! Anything to tease poor Darth. Unfortunately your link is for the far inferior non-squarebound 1975 issue! I'm keeping this book so it doesn't really matter man! wink.gif

Good auction description, describes his grading criteria, great feedback, and he offers refunds. Risk of restoration on a book like this is fairly low, although present, especially since it's a black cover. Had this been a Spidey 28, the restoration risk would've been thru the roof, so I doubt it would've fetched multiples in that case.

This one's not all that surprising. I pay multiples on unslabbed myself when the risk seems low.

Because it's Sub-Mariner #8. I wouldn't CGC any book with an Overstreet NM value under $100 myself; the risk of restoration is low on those types of books. If you get it, and isn't a 9.6, return it. No big risk on an apparent solid seller like this.

But in this case, Overstreet has no bearing on the CGC 9.6 price, and from his comments, the seller knows this. As others have stated, this has the "potential" of being a windfall for the buyer, and in most ways, it doesn't make sense.