• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's up with crazy prices for RAW books?

79 posts in this topic

Maybe its time to revolt against the mighty Arch. Cmon Bug, we can take him!

Didn't the oysters have similar thoughts about the Walrus and the Carpentar?

"O Oysters," said the Carpenter,

"You've had a pleasant run!

Shall we be trotting home again?'

But answer came there none--

And this was scarcely odd, because

They'd eaten every one.

Sorry DARTH. There is no way in hell that book would grade out as a 9.6. Unless the defects I see are artifacts of the scanner, there is far too much blunting and wear of outer edges along the top, the lower left corner, and some crimping on the lower right corner. Take a close look at the top edge (just above Prince Namor the -- especially just above Namor). There is also one tick -- transverse spine tick that just barely breaks colour just below the Things forearm. This book may grade out a VF+ 8.5 at best, but I think that there is a lot to be desired with this copy -- I have a feeling the buyer will be severaly disappointed with this one when he gets it back from CGC. Dark backrgound covers are usually grade harshly, and I think the defects of this books front cover will look a lot different under light.

There is no way in hell that book would grade out as a 9.6.

After going back to the videotape, my final review concurs with Comicwiz - I should have enlarged the pic and also copied it and magnified it with my own software available. I spot the flaws Joseph so expertly pointed out. I must have been asleep when I posted that first reply tongue.gif

After going back to the videotape, my final review concurs with Comicwiz - I should have enlarged the pic and also copied it and magnified it with my own software available. I spot the flaws Joseph so expertly pointed out. I must have been asleep when I posted that first reply

lol.

20/20 with the benefit of hindsight, I guess. I'm just a sucker for detail; I've been buying raw ever since eBay came around and even when I buy slabbed, I always ask for close-up scans -- which isn't always met with kindness. Remember, I'm mostly buying undergrounds (UG's) -- books which at some time or another were tucked away under peoples mattress (UG humor for pressing techniques), or wound-up in peoples washrooms. Some sellers either don't bother respoding, make some lame excuse that their selling it for their relative, friend, brother, etc., or just outright tell you to go @#$# yourself. I remember this one seller in particular -- in his listing, he went on to say that he was so enraged that CGC gave his book such a low score, that he didn't want anyone emailing him about any close-ups or pics. CGC's score -- take as is! I remember some silly quote like, if you can't play with the big dogs, stay on the porch when he spoke about payment! I still laugh to this day about that one.