• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mistakes have been made

22 posts in this topic

me too... lol never sold a comic but other things ive sold never really worked well.. this is why I buy and keep lol.. and only sell duplicates or upgrades.

17 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

Hey guys,

You know, I have come to the conclusion that I should just never sell the better collectibles that I buy, ever.   Apparently, I’m  good at picking out things to buy but bad at picking what to sell to fund other wants.

Steve

That’s the only mistake you’ve made? Damn if making mistakes was slam-dunking a basketball, I’d be Michel Jordon. 

Edited by NoMan

TOS 57s for $15? Sounds good as I paid $5. NYX 3 for $8? Huge profit from what I paid! Walking Dead 9 and 10 for $2 a pop? Nobody here wanted them for $3 a pop. Yup. I couldn't believe my 4.0 - 5.0 copies of FF 48 were worth $125+ in the early 2000s when FF 2 was coming out.  Needed to blow those out ASAP in a hurry before they tanked! Such a common book, would never ever be worth more! GS X-Men 1 was everywhere, it would never go up, needed to sell mine. My TOS 39 was finally worth selling when Ironman 1 came out! I totally needed to sell my 4.0 ST 110 for $180 at the first hint a movie might be getting made, particularly after nobody wanted it for $200 here. Yup. Always best to sell the good stuff early.

14 hours ago, the blob said:

TOS 57s for $15? Sounds good as I paid $5. NYX 3 for $8? Huge profit from what I paid! Walking Dead 9 and 10 for $2 a pop? Nobody here wanted them for $3 a pop. Yup. I couldn't believe my 4.0 - 5.0 copies of FF 48 were worth $125+ in the early 2000s when FF 2 was coming out.  Needed to blow those out ASAP in a hurry before they tanked! Such a common book, would never ever be worth more! GS X-Men 1 was everywhere, it would never go up, needed to sell mine. My TOS 39 was finally worth selling when Ironman 1 came out! I totally needed to sell my 4.0 ST 110 for $180 at the first hint a movie might be getting made, particularly after nobody wanted it for $200 here. Yup. Always best to sell the good stuff early.

I feel your pain, but I offer two points in consolation.

1) nobody ever went broke taking a profit

2) depends what you did with the money - if you bought other books or paid down debt you might have done just fine

7 hours ago, AJD said:

2) depends what you did with the money - if you bought other books or paid down debt you might have done just fine

Thanks. And that’s how I console myself. I have a long list of things that I sold that I would love to get back.   The thing is, it has more to do with timing than anything else. I think my ideas are good, but I never keep my ideas long enough time to marinate. So now I’m putting a hard stop on sales of anything good. I’ll still sell lesser stuff, but I’m gonna try to hang onto my good stuff Even if I temporarily lose interest in it. 

7 hours ago, AJD said:

No, just scrambling to pay bills, interest on debt. Basically subsidizing the crappy pay I was making at my guvment job.

I just bought a lower grade copy of a book that I sold a few years ago. I paid $200 more than I sold the better copy for a few years back. Oh well. 

On the upside I had a few books that I offered here with no takers, that I then sold them in auction and the closed for twice what I had offered them here!

5 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

I just bought a lower grade copy of a book that I sold a few years ago. I paid $200 more than I sold the better copy for a few years back. Oh well. 

On the upside I had a few books that I offered here with no takers, that I then sold them in auction and the closed for twice what I had offered them here!

Yeah, I have one book that I bought and then kinda regretted because it was almost loose at the top staple.  I was going to sell it for what I paid for it to someone I know, but they decided they wanted a nicer copy ( which they bought shortly after ).  So I held onto the book and it is now worth more than twice what I bought it for conservatively.  Now I'm trying to decide if I want to keep it even if I'm not thrilled with the condition, since I will never pay the money to buy a nicer copy now, or if I just want to sell it and take the win.

15 hours ago, shiverbones said:

I sold my gd copy of the first groot here on the boards for a whopping $70 or so right when it was mentioned he would be in guardians :(

If you don't have a ton of stories like this then you're not really a seller.

The only way to justify the losses is think of the wins...

For example I flipped a ST 110 in 7.0 for 2k right before it hit to gain capital for another key
and during the years that followed that book soared to 4.5k. It burned but only temporary
since the money I gained I bought a beautiful ASM 1 in 7.0 that is now blown up.

So it's all in how you look at it.

(thumbsu

15 minutes ago, Wally's Comics said:

If you don't have a ton of stories like this then you're not really a seller.

The only way to justify the losses is think of the wins...

For example I flipped a ST 110 in 7.0 for 2k right before it hit to gain capital for another key
and during the years that followed that book soared to 4.5k. It burned but only temporary
since the money I gained I bought a beautiful ASM 1 in 7.0 that is now blown up.

So it's all in how you look at it.

(thumbsu

Good point :)

Pretty much any SA (and many BA) key sold 10-15-20 years ago has appreciated significantly, so anyone who was selling that stuff then is going to have sad stories of what could have been. It's just the ones that have gone 400-1000% since then that are really distressing. And I know for a fact I sold a few of my better keys (an FF 5, the TOS 39, my BB 28, JLA 1 and a few others) to pay for $3000 worth of interior painting and plastering and tiling in my kitchen when we moved into our house in 2006...and I see that paint in the ceiling cracking and chipping now and a bunch of those tiles in the kitchen cracked, and I know those books are worth about $12000-15000 now....

I remember selling my set of NYX 1-6 for $15 or so about 3 months before any hint of Wolverine's daughter appearing in #3 was in the air.

Sold all my Deadpool mini-series for cheap not too long before the movies were announced.

Yeah, I am with Wally - you haven't sold too much if you don't have at least a few of these. And the ones that turned out well average everything out.

-slym