• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WB's JOKER: THE SEQUEL directed by Todd Phillips (TBD)
6 6

487 posts in this topic

On 10/5/2024 at 11:19 AM, drotto said:

Wow, several people walking out that post here? Not a ringing endorsement. Maybe not a massive surprise when Tod Phillips has stated he does not like superhero films (hates them in fact), and seems like he was pushed into making this one. So he ends up making a middle finger to superhero films and possibly fans. I have heard the film is visually well made, the makers clearly know how to make movies, and the acting is solid, but the script, plot, and themes are just bad.

As to those saying he does not seem like the Joker. I have not seen the movie but a major spoiler I heard. Is this correct? 

Hide contents

The movie heavily implies he is not the actual Joker and is in fact killed by the real Joker at the end?

Spoiler

Yes.  

turns out he is not the joker but the murder clown that inspired the Joker… which is actually an interesting move to be fair.  It may infuriate the audience but that might be the point. 

Re major spoiler - I suppose you could read that into it, but it’s not explicitly said tbh.  My wife saw it and she didn’t ‘get’ that impression at all.  If people want to infer that it’s a bit clutching at straws for extra meaning imo.

So this has come up several times in one form or another...that Todd Phillips "intentionally" (I can't think of better wording so don't take it as the exact definition) made a bad movie to make some kind of statement, or to stick it to the superhero genre, to upset the studio, etc., etc., etc...

I don't buy this excuse.  Until some other revelation comes about I'm going to assume this movie was his vision, made what he thought was a good movie, and hoped it would be a blockbuster hit.

***This movie might put his career on pause

Yeah, I don’t believe for one minute he’s made it bad on purpose or to annoy anyone (great way to run a career!)  He’s made the best film he could using the ideas he felt best suited it.

That it’s bad is just because it’s not very good.

On 10/7/2024 at 2:33 PM, Buzzetta said:
  Hide contents

Yes.  

turns out he is not the joker but the murder clown that inspired the Joker… which is actually an interesting move to be fair.  It may infuriate the audience but that might be the point. 

interesting. I thought it was a walk up to the punchline, but maybe a different character in the scheme of things. Sticking to the guns here they had a pitch slow and straight, all they need to do is swing, but they don't want a "hero save some kind of arbitrary antithesis" and they can't decide "whom to stick it too", imo.

On 10/7/2024 at 4:06 PM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

So this has come up several times in one form or another...that Todd Phillips "intentionally" (I can't think of better wording so don't take it as the exact definition) made a bad movie to make some kind of statement, or to stick it to the superhero genre, to upset the studio, etc., etc., etc...

I don't buy this excuse.  Until some other revelation comes about I'm going to assume this movie was his vision, made what he thought was a good movie, and hoped it would be a blockbuster hit.

***This movie might put his career on pause

*Have not seen this movie, and probably won't see this movie in the theater, which, for me, is saying something*

I doubt he "intentionally" made a bad movie.  I suspect he intentionally made a movie where (part of) the point was to maybe make some kind of meta point about fame and followers.  

On 10/7/2024 at 3:24 PM, koollectablz said:

Yeah, I don’t believe for one minute he’s made it bad on purpose or to annoy anyone (great way to run a career!)  He’s made the best film he could using the ideas he felt best suited it.

That it’s bad is just because it’s not very good.

I've spent years feeling this way, and it may be the joke is on me, that "a movie is a movie" and with that attitude in my heart, I don't need a bigger world brought from it and built upon. It stems from usually thinking for myself (head scratcher) It isn't that I don't like precept or studio "lines" but I had a mom who enjoyed soap operas when I was a kid, I enjoyed going to school let me just put it that way for my own benefit. :wavingwhiteflag::butbutbutemoji::signofftopic:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

If it were only for the songs meaning to display intentions, not motives? Otherwise, the plot doesn't coalesce, and Idk the "Punchlines" character other than she is a go between. imo. She may have encountered the joker before the breakup with Harley (him being unknowing at the time) would serve me well.

Punchline isn't that ambitious. She might as well be a songbird from Jokers past. The fact these Jokers are standalone to me make it seem so public in his world, and that hurts the attraction. Joker always got around without anyone knowing his true intentions, which was subtle, but made him seem like a boss, again imo.

All these dream fantasies and songs make it look as though it could be squared away to not be a public display but more how he felt about it in his brain, with people just trying to whoop the crazy, which is hard to watch. The relationship dagger seeming to be going into the wind upsets me more. I wasn't so in tune with the Golden Age to read Joker standalones, other than his cronies or 90's Joker spinoffs, which were more dark and morbid....

You were clear he meant to do every action he took is what I mean. To take that and say well, he is befuddled just sits wrong to those who as I would in this case say, "the book is better."

lol not a critique just been my experience. outlandish silly same difference. ah to be a kid again doh! 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 10/7/2024 at 3:49 PM, SpineTic said:

I remember that. It takes no comfort to say I stand corrected. It may have been that the DC sticker on the film confused me. :shy: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I guess my brother and I were viewing through different lenses, in that were tired of origin stories, but to sit and watch it, made it somewhat a artsy type noir or some other likely story lol 

It makes me chuckle that a reputation of the joker could underly so hard, and in this case the "underscore" brought to the forefront is ok imo, which I believe is a musical term.

You can tell I don't often think too hard on the subject of "movies", but I enjoy analysis as much as the next viewer :roflmao: not gospel. :cheers: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 10/6/2024 at 1:39 PM, Gatsby77 said:

The first one was an interesting portrait of mental illness, but it was a *terrible* Joker film.

Haven't comic audiences yet accepted that comic movies aren't copies of the comic books anymore?

I mean, no movie is true to the comics anymore. 

The only thing that remains true is the essence of the character, and in that regard, they made the Joker look like a homicidal lunatic successfully. 

I'm personally OK that his origin didn't reflect the comic book origin, and frankly, even thankful as it was far more relatable and relevant today than a basic "cops and robbers" origin story.  

Edited by VintageComics

On 10/7/2024 at 6:19 PM, chrisco37 said:

I don’t know if I’d call it a musical. It was a really boring story continuously interrupted by bad musical numbers.  
And that was just the first half!  

I stuck in a bit longer. They lost me at the judge blackout, hammer of justice or something.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I couldn’t wait for this sequel….. now i may skip it altogether.  I loved the first one so much and i just don’t want it ruined for me.

Apocalypse Now used to be one of my favorite movies until I saw Redux in the theater and it was forever ruined for me. don’t want a repeat of that. 

Thankfully, I have the brilliant Penguin series to keep me occupied.

I really want to compare this to Alice in Wonderland/Through The Looking Glass.  

The first was another billion dollar hit which truly had no business being a billion doller hit.  It was completely mediocre, but it had Johnny Depp right at the height of his Pirates fame, plus 3D being hot again due to the Avatar effect. 

And the completely mediocre sequal tanked hard.  

Now, Joker might have been better than "completely mediocre," but it was the kind of movie that should have been a low budget "art house" hit at best.  It breaking out the way it did was simply not something anyone could have expected.   

And this just kind of shows they (and maybe no one) really understands why the first one was as big a hit as it was.