• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WB's JOKER: THE SEQUEL directed by Todd Phillips (TBD)
3 3

296 posts in this topic

On 8/20/2024 at 11:28 AM, Bosco685 said:

Screenshot_20240820-1126272.png.c3f96010737558387bb04cb2a8989a5f.png

I like that idea.  Everyone was hesitant on Joker to begin with.  To be blunt.  I do not care what a bunch of comic book fans dictate the character "should be" in their eyes.  We were all wrong about the first movie and the success it would achieve set outside Batman and even in the time period it is set in since it really does bend that timeline.  

$1 Billion box office in 2019 for an R Rated movie like this was extremely impressive and it drew in a lot of non comic book fans or non regular comic book fans.  Let the fanboys cry a river that it's "NotMyHarley" or whatever they do.   The guy that was known for Old School and the Hangover brought us a lower budget villain movie that generated $1Billion in business on a $55 million budget.  I think he has more than earned my attention. 

I want to see what Phillips does with this.  Phoenix has never been the actor in the last decade to do something simply because of a paycheck.  He was always quirky for the art from his interview on Letterman to even twenty four years ago in Gladiator.  I want to see what has drawn him back to a sequel. 

Aside from Lady Gaga who has demonstrated time and time again that she has some real genuine talent, you have Ken Leung, Brendan Gleeson, and Steve Coogan who are usually interesting in the roles they play. 

Yeah, this film has my attention. 

Edited by Buzzetta

The people marketing this movie are thinking outside the box. Those posters, without any references to the movie title and just using the actor's names is brilliant.

It's a refreshing take, but more so it proves that you can take something that's been done many times before and improve on it with the right vision. 

The last Joker movie was 'another' Joker origin story, but it was so well done and believable that it stands next to all the other best Joker interpretations throughout movie and television history. 

It's pretty brilliant, and in fact, I'd put it right up there with Feige's reinventing of Marvel through the Iron Man / Tony Stark with RDJ storyline. 

Whoever is doing this needs to be listened to as they're doing it right. They could slow-build an entire DC universe along this idea.

This is the path. 

Edited by VintageComics

4.0/5 stars

The hugely anticipated follow-up to the controversial, Oscar-winning 2019 blockbuster stars a stirring, emaciated Joaquin Phoenix and an appealingly cruel and feline Lady Gaga

On 9/5/2024 at 8:21 AM, eastriver400 said:

I remember the reviews being mixed for Joker. Critics either totally loved it or totally hated it. Good sign a movie isn't formulaic and took some risks. 

There's just so much corporate and media bias in everything now even the critics are formulaic. 

After initial negative reviews I still have high hopes for this. I agree that this movie is taking risks and that's great in this day and age. You don't move the needle without taking risks. Too many people have forgotten that.