• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Damage case
1 1

11 posts in this topic

On 11/20/2019 at 2:37 PM, Paul100 said:

Hi Just bought a cgc grade comics and the case is damaged in the top corner were the cgc logo is . Would I have to get the comic regraded

15742786323716940599744011951904.jpg

I would contact CGC about this since its a severe break they might want to regrade if there is noticeable damage on the comic but you can talk to them and show them the pics they might be able to do re-holder but they will make that judgement call when they see the entire book as it does look like the case has some large cracks through out.

sorry this happened? do you know how this happened? 

I have a 9.8 comic in GGC at the moment for re-casing. It was received from an ebay purchase with a small splinter of plastic protruding over the top edge of the front cover. CGC are recasing as a Mechanical Error and at no cost to me. My only alarm is that its current status is said to be In the Grading section. Why ? My fear is that it may come back at a lower grade for some reason !! 

Anyway, this aside, the subject of damaged cases is an interesting one. I have found that even raw comics I have sent for grading to CGC have come back with 'brand new' cases but with a single score mark, scuff mark, or even a small scratch on the front panel. You often can't see it straight on, but turn it at an angle to the light and all is revealed. So, new cases can be defective at source, let alone what you my may purchase at auction, or on ebay ?

48 minutes ago, Colin Nash said:

I have a 9.8 comic in GGC at the moment for re-casing. It was received from an ebay purchase with a small splinter of plastic protruding over the top edge of the front cover. CGC are recasing as a Mechanical Error and at no cost to me. My only alarm is that its current status is said to be In the Grading section. Why ? My fear is that it may come back at a lower grade for some reason !! 

Anyway, this aside, the subject of damaged cases is an interesting one. I have found that even raw comics I have sent for grading to CGC have come back with 'brand new' cases but with a single score mark, scuff mark, or even a small scratch on the front panel. You often can't see it straight on, but turn it at an angle to the light and all is revealed. So, new cases can be defective at source, let alone what you my may purchase at auction, or on ebay ?

Please keep in mind that every book with a damaged case should be looked at by someone in the grading room to ensure that no damage occurred to the book. This may be why the book is said to be in the grading section. If no damage occurred, the next step in the process should be the encapsulation room, although sometimes the book or books will be stored in the safe before being encapsulated. 

As far as damaged cases go, just the process of handling and sorting slabbed books can cause slight scuffs or scratches to the outer holder; the holder isn't scuff and scratch resistant. Moreover, the slabbed books aren't usually placed in plastic bags until they reach the Quality Control department...  (thumbsu

7 hours ago, Colin Nash said:

I just returned an ASM129 for recasing because when I received it from CGC it had three large scuff marks on the front. The CGC rep told me that the scuffs appeared to be either in the inner well or inside of the case (not sure how he could tell from the pics) and caused by vibration and friction during shipping. IMO rather large scuffs from what little movement would occur but they are providing a complimentary reholder so hopefully a clear slab will eventually be returned to me....

IMG_2116.JPG

IMG_2118.JPG

On 12/4/2019 at 9:31 PM, jokiing said:

I just returned an ASM129 for recasing because when I received it from CGC it had three large scuff marks on the front. The CGC rep told me that the scuffs appeared to be either in the inner well or inside of the case (not sure how he could tell from the pics) and caused by vibration and friction during shipping. IMO rather large scuffs from what little movement would occur but they are providing a complimentary reholder so hopefully a clear slab will eventually be returned to me....

IMG_2116.JPG

IMG_2118.JPG

Good book