• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Polybagged

11 posts in this topic

CGC will not grade a comic in a bag. They request you remove it and any loose inserts before sending it to them.

Those bags are cheap and in the long run, although I have no proof of this myself, will harm your comics. IMHO, I say take it out regardless of getting  it graded or not.

-slym

On 11/23/2019 at 5:35 PM, slym2none said:

CGC will not grade a comic in a bag. They request you remove it and any loose inserts before sending it to them.

Those bags are cheap and in the long run, although I have no proof of this myself, will harm your comics. IMHO, I say take it out regardless of getting  it graded or not.

-slym

Bingo.

Also, 90% of comics that came in such bags are worth $1-5 tops so getting them graded just wastes your money, if you were to remove them and do so. I have a few books in the bags from the 80's and 90's and I keep em there because they came with posters and stuff and it is kinda cool to see it still that way. Have yet to see someone show pics of the plastic destroying the stuff inside so until that day comes, I keep some stuff like it was when it was put out for sale. Out of nostalgia though, not for value purposes because again, said books are virtually worthless. 

44 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Also, 90% of comics that came in such bags are worth $1-5 tops so getting them graded just wastes your money, if you were to remove them and do so. I have a few books in the bags from the 80's and 90's and I keep em there because they came with posters and stuff and it is kinda cool to see it still that way. Have yet to see someone show pics of the plastic destroying the stuff inside so until that day comes, I keep some stuff like it was when it was put out for sale. Out of nostalgia though, not for value purposes because again, said books are virtually worthless. 

Sorry to have to tell you this, but there could be a bit of a problem with keeping your books inside the polybag for an extended period of time. At CGC, it used to be referred to as a "polybag crease"---a full-length indentation caused by the seal on the polybag. This phenomenon occurs because the pronounced seal actually comes in contact with the back of the comic book. If your polybagged books have a full length seal which runs vertically on the back of the polybag, it's best to remove them and place them in a proper bag and board. Otherwise, you may have to go through the trouble of having them pressed to remove the indentation...  ;)

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

Sorry to have to tell you this, but there could be a bit of a problem with keeping your books inside the polybag for an extended period of time. At CGC, it used to be referred to as a "polybag crease"---a full-length indentation caused by the seal on the polybag. This phenomenon occurs because the pronounced seal actually comes in contact with the back of the comic book. If your polybagged books have a full length seal which runs vertically on the back of the polybag, it's best to remove them and place them in a proper bag and board. Otherwise, you may have to go through the trouble of having them pressed to remove the indentation...  ;)

I am okay with it. My polybagged stuff is mostly junk like Shadow of the Bat #1 (with all the goodies stuffed inside) and a couple others. If they crease and wear and rot in the bag, so be it. Some of the bag art and just the fact they have never been opened appeals to me which is why I am keeping those suckers trapped forever! Muahahaha.