• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Motor City Comics makes a sincere effort re: compensation

What would you all prefer?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What would you all prefer?

71 posts in this topic

I'm agreeing with Notch_top and Gene.

You come off as antagonizing in every single letter, whereas Michael does nothing but make apologies and offer restitution for a 15 year old sale.

Still have to wonder why you didn't immediately get ahold of him when you discovered it was cut - unless you didn't notice for 12+ years until you sent it in to CGC. If that's the case, you can hardly blame him for not noticing it on a lower price book from a large collection that he only briefly had.

How many dealers out there do you really think would do something for you 15 years later? Give the guy a break, he appears to be bending over backwards to make you happy, pretty much knowing that after you get your deal that you still probably won't be buying from him based on your attitude.

I have had nothing but good experiences with them either on ebay and at cons. Always some of the best stuff - and brave enough to come all the way to Fla to try to make money at Megacon! I would always buy stuff from them at MegaCon cause I know that is a long trip and hoped they would come back evry year - they did not make it this year!

Whoah-boy!

OK, first some clarification:

I didn't notice the cut-out coupon until I arrived back home from the Con. No receipt, I'm sure they sold MANY books in SD, and it would be at least a year before I saw them again...

So what was the answer? Stroll up to them and say "Hey, I bought this from you a while back and now I want a refund?" Am I the only one who sees how ridiculous this is? I think I'll do an experiment this year and go to a number of dealers at SD and see just how many WON'T say "Gee sir, you can't prove you bought that from us. I don't remember selling it to you. Bye."

THAT's why I didn't "bother to contact" MCC. Those of you who think that most people- in any business- maintain a return policy of "no proof, no problem"...WAKE UP.

Now as for my attitude, Notch/Gene etc:

This started with my initial comment regarding my feeling towards MCC following a bad purchase. I did NOT ask for a refund. Or credit of any kind. I did not attack Michael personally. I made my position known about Motor City based on that transaction. I neither asked nor expected ANYTHING.

Michael made the move to contact me.

Now I would like someone to point out which of his following comments are the "professional, courteous" ones. And please, let me know if they are being taken out of context...

1. I'll even offer to buy back the JLA #3 for the price you paid PLUS 30% PLUS the slabbing fee. 15 years after I might have sold it to you.

WOW, now he's trying to low-ball me as well? Hey guys, I'll make the same offer to any of you for a comparable book price-wise, condition-wise, age-wise. C'mon, who's first?

2. Just thought i'd try to respond to your insulting and childish post.

That's just dripping with professionalism and courtesy, huh.

3. Or you can just stay angry. Your choice.

This sentence was necessary...why? Do any of you need to be told you have a choice as to your feelings?

And before anyone decides that I'm evil and Mr Goldman is pure and righteous..

Look how angry a few words made both of us.

I saw that he was angry. He admitted to it. I'm just more concerned about what is right or wrong rather than proper protocol or "PC" Krapola.

I'll be Simon Cowell. You all can be Paula Abdul *shiver*.

Michael Goldman showed that he is an upstanding bussinesman wanting to fix a problem that he thinks his company is responsible for and I KNOW his company is responsible for. I know this thread does not present me in the best light..and I posted it anyway. I could have kept this between Michael and myself. But I am fair and keep my word.

Will address specific mis-directed or out-of-line comments after lunch.

rick

Gradually tapering down your threats and insults as a "settlement" is agreed.

Please point to ONE threat.

And your term of "settlement" is incorrect. Initially, I asked for NOTHING. He made an offer. I accepted. The term "settlement" connotes that a compromised was reached.

And I find your implication that my motivations were unfounded to be, uh...appalling.

Rick

Gene,

I respect you as a forum member and your posts are at least well-thought out and intellegent most of the time, but you really need to get off your high-horse, sport.

A disturbing pattern? You mean where I believe I was wronged and get mad? That pattern?

Let me get this straight: you want a refund on a purchase that MAY have occurred 15 years ago WITHOUT any proof of purchase?

When did I ask for anything? Re-read the emails. I bought. I got screwed. I sold at a loss. I person_without_enough_empathyed. The end.

For an unmemorable $110 item?

A high grade black cover 3rd issue of one of the 1st Silver Age titles.

You must be a Marvel Zombie.

Surely the statute of limitations, figuratively speaking, has passed on this one in any case.

Lucky for me that you don't decide when MY statute of limitations end.

I sure hope that by now you've figured out that the book in question was not JLA #3.

I can see how Michael came to that mis-understanding. How did you? Did you stop reading after the first email? That's not very responsible, Gene. blush.gif

I expected better from you.

Rick

I will also vouch for them. I bought a CGC from them last year, and the service was great.

And for Canadian bidders, he(or whoever ships his books) actually crosses the border to Windsor to ship within Canada! I was amazed by that.

JLA: Whatever happened with your purchases, your tone was unnecessary.

You seem to expect him and everyone on this forum to give YOU the benefit of the doubt, yet you don't give it to him, at least not until the end of this little "transaction". I credit him for his patience, as I would have lost it after the second email.

God, I stopped about half way through. Rick, you come off as a real horse's [!@#%^&^]. If I was Motor City Comics, I would have told you to go f--- yourself. They certainly were helpful to you and generous in their offer to you, but you kept being an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. Remind me to put you on my blocked bidders list. mad.gif

I really don't know how they arranged it, I just know that they shipped the book from right across the border. I didn't ask any questions because I obviously didn't mind.

OK, i admit, i tried to stay out of this, but i think you should let it be h2o under the bridge bro. next time you see them at the SD con, stop by and shoot the , go have a drink at the bar together, pent up hate/anger just isn't worth it. laugh.gif

Yes yes yes.

They tried to do right by me. And did. I will personally go up to Michael at SD and make amends. And as far as animosity/water under the bridge goes, I did leave it in the past!

I did NOT solicit his first email, which made false assumptions. That made me mad. Then he makes what I already called a "back-handed offer" in regards to the assumed book's value. That made me mad. This all lead me to believe he was just throwing me a crumb to make me not bad mouth his company anymore. If no one else can see this, that's not my fault. But it does make me mad.

Michael and I are on good terms now. Not so sure about a few of you others...

Let me make a note: "Expressing your anger makes you wrong." Got it.

Rick

Matt,

The fact that you didn't read the whole email conversation tells me just how much your comments regarding this issue are worth. The fact that you TOLD us this tells me how much intellegence you have. Not to mention the hypocrisy; YOU can post with profanity, blaspheme, and undeniable anger towards me...and say that I can't express my feelings? What a tool.

And my ebay ID is 'twocoldaces.' Now you can sleep better tonight knowing you will never have to DEAL WITH MY WRATH. Sweet Dreams. tongue.gif

Rick

That made me mad. This all lead me to believe he was just throwing me a crumb to make me not bad mouth his company anymore. If no one else can see this, that's not my fault. But it does make me mad.

Let me make a note: "Expressing your anger makes you wrong." Got it.

I can see why you were mad, and boy were you mad. tongue.gif

There is absolutely nothing wrong with venting it every now and then.

You're emails were a bit harsh though, and it usually does you no good in the long run to outright insult people in your correspondence. I can see how you built up to that point though.

Hope you have got it out of your systen now, and remind me to never get on your wrong side. shocked.gifgrin.giftongue.gif

I can see why you were mad.../...I can see how you built up to that point...

Thank you, blowout! For a while there I thought I was going bonkers!

You're emails were a bit harsh though...

I agree! I never said I was the soft/subtle type. I prefer brutal honesty over walking on egg shells. A fault of mine? Yeah, I admit it and try to improve. But it's a work in progress. grin.gif

Besides, I got lost on the way to an Anger Management class, and that REALLY pissed me off!

Rick

PS: If we actually meet as a group in SD, I'm sure you all will be surprised at how laid back I normally am. Dang it, you better be surprised...or else!!

Besides, I got lost on the way to an Anger Management class, and that REALLY pissed me off!

i do believe a movie re: anger managment is being released on April 11, better go watch it for some comic relief. blush.gifshocked.gifgrin.gif

Have to admit I agree with Gene here. A business person, even in comics, has to make money to stay in business, but you can't expect them to give discounts or refunds for something you think you did over a decade ago. If all businesses did this, they would be out of business. MC seems to be making every attempt, way beyond reason, to make you happy--go ahead and take a chance. I think I'll be checking out his website myself...

Mike

God bless our troops!