• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

February 2020 Ha Auction
2 2

51 posts in this topic

On 12/7/2019 at 8:50 AM, cstojano said:

Bumping this one back up. Of note the Dune splash that made a splash last summer is being listed again. As I recall this went to a young collect who wasn't born when the movie came out. I recall from that thread that at least one boardie will be thrilled its being relisted again.

Yeah, just this past summer in the European Comic Art auction. 

do you think it goes for anywhere near the 17,500 that it did then? 

... It's a neat image of Lady Jessica, and I love Dune, but should it be a comp with the (IMO) Iconic Darth Vader, Return of the Jedi cover? I have a hard time saying yes to that question. 

On 11/25/2019 at 10:57 PM, batman_fan said:

What do people think it will go for? $300k? $400k? More? Less? (shrug)

i offered the consignor 300k green for it 2 years ago and he passed...Heritage must have given him a serious pitch for him to put it up for auction, and good luck to them both and i hope it sells for a million. :)

Looks like the frazetta in this sale passed at 30k back in 2004.   Will be interesting to see the price now.

I can't believe how sketchy it is tbh... I had to look at it many times because on first glance I thought it might be a color comp rather than the final.

The brushwork in the lower half of the painting, under even a tiny bit of magnification, is real loose.  IMO.   (stomach of central figure, leg of figure lower left, cape of figure lower right, etc).   Deadline special?   Its too bad because it looks like it could have been a real classic if it was more complete.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/frank-frazetta-swordsmen-in-the-sky-paperback-novel-cover-painting-original-art-ace-1964-/p/7224-15001.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Edited by Bronty

21 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Looks like the frazetta in this sale passed at 30k back in 2004.   Will be interesting to see the price now.

I can't believe how sketchy it is tbh... I had to look at it many times because on first glance I thought it might be a color comp rather than the final.

The brushwork in the lower half of the painting, under even a tiny bit of magnification, is real loose.  IMO.   (stomach of central figure, leg of figure lower left, cape of figure lower right, etc).   Deadline special?   Its too bad because it looks like it could have been a real classic if it was more complete.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/frank-frazetta-swordsmen-in-the-sky-paperback-novel-cover-painting-original-art-ace-1964-/p/7224-15001.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

I too wondered if it was the best prelim ever or a rushed final. 

23 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I can't believe how sketchy it is tbh

Watercolor not oil, early painted piece FF may not have been confident in oils yet. Isn't the period where FF took over jobs from RGK because the latter wasn't making deadlines. So maybe the result of rush-jobbing too.

On 12/11/2019 at 1:10 AM, romitaman said:

i offered the consignor 300k green for it 2 years ago and he passed...Heritage must have given him a serious pitch for him to put it up for auction, and good luck to them both and i hope it sells for a million. :)

See, there's my mistake.   I offered him 300K blue.

5 hours ago, bluechip said:
On 12/11/2019 at 5:10 PM, romitaman said:

See, there's my mistake.   I offered him 300K blue.

lol