• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM ALL-STAR WESTERN 10
1 1

12 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, The-Collector said:

With the top staple popped, the big stains on the BC, and the accumulation of wear I am at 4.0 max. For reference I've had otherwise near mint books with only half popped staples get 7.0. 

That is a very good point TC .      where I might be thinking "potential" was that line in the Overstreet that said:

"In rare cases, a comic was not stapled at the bindery and therefore has a missing staple; this is not considered a defect. Any staple can be replaced on books up to Fine, but only vintage staples can be used on books from Very Fine to Near Mint. 

I was thinking that with a really good clean/press professional that combined with adjusting the staple issue and these might put the book ( bear with me as I mesh old school and new school ) 

fine- to fine/veryfine- range   with 9- 12 defects?? .    subjective and with the realm of possibility?  

Either way , Good Luck Jokiing and you and everyone have a great Thanksgiving

with the top cover detached and the wear and staining I would be at a 4.0 a press could help it a bit as there are large folds and bends in the book. 

Not sure what is causing the 'musty' smell that you mention in your ASW 10, but I have had some moderate success of removing smells (cigarette and mothball) by putting the comic inside of a few pages of regular newspaper for a day or so. The newspaper absorbs some if not all of the 'smell'. I had purchased some comics that had really pungent mothball smell and I placed them in newspaper (flat) for a day (or so) and then switched out the old newspaper for a new batch. It reduced the smell to almost undetectable. I did the same thing with some original art that I purchased from the Giordano book 'Drawing Comics with Giordano' from eBay. The pages had a very heavy odor of cigarettes and this method greatly reduced the smell. I probably could reduce the odor more if I did the 'fix' a number of times but I got bored and just put them away (it was a lot of pages and required a lot of newspaper). Hope this helps. 

3 hours ago, davidtere said:

Not sure what is causing the 'musty' smell that you mention in your ASW 10, but I have had some moderate success of removing smells (cigarette and mothball) by putting the comic inside of a few pages of regular newspaper for a day or so. The newspaper absorbs some if not all of the 'smell'. I had purchased some comics that had really pungent mothball smell and I placed them in newspaper (flat) for a day (or so) and then switched out the old newspaper for a new batch. It reduced the smell to almost undetectable. I did the same thing with some original art that I purchased from the Giordano book 'Drawing Comics with Giordano' from eBay. The pages had a very heavy odor of cigarettes and this method greatly reduced the smell. I probably could reduce the odor more if I did the 'fix' a number of times but I got bored and just put them away (it was a lot of pages and required a lot of newspaper). Hope this helps. 

Great idea. I noticed that the smell transferred to a new backer board so I’ll try that fix. It was stinking up the whole room so before I left for the holiday I put the book in a large box with a couple dehumidifiers and s small container of baking soda. I’ll see what that does as well. Thanks 

Edited by jokiing