• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is a Printer vein?

12 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, rogue14 said:

Hello! Can a printer vein be pressed out, and does it lower the grade if slabbed? Thanks!

what is a printer vein? do you mean crease? is there colour missing underneath the crease? 

a picture might help explain your defect and get you better response and answers. 

2 hours ago, Krismusic said:

what is a printer vein? do you mean crease? is there colour missing underneath the crease? 

a picture might help explain your defect and get you better response and answers. 

I’m actually not well versed with this. Looking to purchase a slab and the seller said the grader notes stated that there was a printer vein. So not sure what it looks like. 

Whatever it is, I’m hoping it can be pressed out or that someone else can chime in and help explain.

do you have a picture of the slab. 

I am thinking of this as a crease or wrinkle or pleat... but if it was done during production there might not be colour underneath that crease; So pressing it flat might leave a gap specially if its in a coloured area as oppose to in a white area it might be as noticeable. 

this is the only thing I found on someone calling it a printers vein. it might help

Edited by Krismusic

I'm reasonably sure that a "printer vein" is a thin wrinkle which meanders across the cover of a book---the length of the vein varies. Since this flaw is actually part of the paper itself, pressing it, while it may remove the wrinkle, would likely leave a thin line that has no color.

As far as I know, this particular flaw doesn't normally result in a downgrade...

Just now, The Lions Den said:

I'm reasonably sure that a "printer vein" is a thin wrinkle which meanders across the cover of a book---the length of the vein varies. Since this flaw is actually part of the paper itself, pressing it, while it may remove the wrinkle, would likely leave a thin line that has no color.

As far as I know, this particular flaw doesn't normally result in a downgrade...

Is it the same thing as a printer's crease?

2 hours ago, Krismusic said:

do you have a picture of the slab. 

I am thinking of this as a crease or wrinkle or pleat... but if it was done during production there might not be colour underneath that crease; So pressing it flat might leave a gap specially if its in a coloured area as oppose to in a white area it might be as noticeable. 

this is the only thing I found on someone calling it a printers vein. it might help

Thanks for the link. Was definitely helpful!