• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lets Talk Frames

12 posts in this topic

I know there are other threads with information on framing, but I'd like to join all the quality information into one thread.

For me, it's time to stop buying the art and actually pay for some nice frames so I can enjoy the art that I have. I know many of you have your art framed and proudly displayed...but how many of you have all of your art framed? Or most of them?

What do you pay, on average? Do you go all out and get non-glare with sun proof protection? Do you actually mount the art on the backing?

Ah, so many questions, so little time. I just want to do this right, so any information is helpful. grin.gif

I wish I could frame ALL of my art, but right now I really only have my main pieces framed.

When I frame my art, I try to look for a frame with a mat, so the art doesn't touch the actual glass, and my frame store had acid free mats, so I went for that. On top of that, I like non-glare glass, since I think you can see the art better that way, so I go for that too. I also think getting UV blocking glass is important, if you plan on putting the piece in a room with some sort of sunlight.

As for the frame itself, I am not too picky, I usually go for either a plain light wood color to match my furniture, or something simple.

I think, depending on how quickly you want it, and where you go, you should be able to frame the art this way for about $60-$100

I am also considering buying those frames that allow you to switch the art in it fairly easily, but I have heard some bad things about them, so I am still not 100% convinced.

Hope this helps smile.gif

I only have two pages of original art so far and I initially was only going to buy one to have framed and put on the wall. Then I saw another page that I liked better than my first page and bought that one which is still sitting in the cardboard it was mailed to me in.

I went to Costco and got them to frame the first page for me. It was something like 47.00 taxes in (Canadian). I picked a nice aluminum black frame with double matting. The UV stuff was incredibly expensive at another frame place I went to first so I didn't even bother asking.

I figure that I only paid 75.00 or so for the page I got framed and it's not in direct contact with sunlight where I have it framed so it's fine.

My dilemna now is that I've been thinking of taking that frame apart and replacing that piece with my other more favourite piece or just framing that one as well.

The wife says to frame both but now that I have the OA collecting bug I don't know if I want to have a whole bunch of framed art or buy a portfoilio to store them all in.

Ah, the collecting bug. That's just it. In the last few months, I've picked up 5 pieces. I don't have the room for 5 pieces on my wall. And the money...who wants to pay $100 for a frame when you can get a $100 piece?

Alberto, what are these frames of which you speak? The ones you can replace the art whenever you want. I shall hear more on this.

I know there are other threads with information on framing, but I'd like to join all the quality information into one thread.

For me, it's time to stop buying the art and actually pay for some nice frames so I can enjoy the art that I have. I know many of you have your art framed and proudly displayed...but how many of you have all of your art framed? Or most of them?

What do you pay, on average? Do you go all out and get non-glare with sun proof protection? Do you actually mount the art on the backing?

Ah, so many questions, so little time. I just want to do this right, so any information is helpful. grin.gif

James,

I frame the art I want to enjoy the most, and I do have art that I would like to frame that is yet unframed. I usually have a couple pieces done at a time. If it's a basic frame and done archivally, it'll cost around $80 - $120 a piece at a professional frame shop, maybe a little more, maybe a little less depending on the quality of the frame, how much border you use around the art, etc.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS pony up the dollars to have your art framed archivally (100% acid-free matte, with UV-blocking glass). It would be a pity to have a piece damaged by light or sun due to being cheaply framed. Talk to your frame shop when you do it and they can also give you tips on the best way and best locations to hang art (don't put it on a wall that gets hit with direct sunlight!).

As far as the frames themselves, I tend to like a very basic thin, black metal frame that is understated. I don't want the frame diverting attention from the art itself. I've seen people use huge ornate frames for their art, and if you like that, that's cool. I do basic frames so the art remains as the focus.

I have also purchased a page that was framed with the cover of the comic and the printed interior page along with it. I like this format and will likely have more done this way:

TOS49p19.jpg

--Steve

Steve, you cut a page out of a comic? The horror....

By the way, the piece looks great. I like that idea mucho.

I bought it like that, I didn't have it done. grin.gif

But I am going to do the same to my TOS Kirby Captain America page. I got a beater copy of the issue to use for the interior page, and then for the cover I picked up a nice VF issue that I'll have them mount complete so that they don't destroy it.

Hey James!

The frames I was thinking of can be found here so feel free to take a look. Like I said, I don't have one of these myself, but I know some people do, it should be a good alternative for art that's not too expensive...

As for Rhino's setup, I love that setup with the page of art, the cover, and the finished page all in one frame, but that one is more expensive, although I'll probably end up doing that for one or two of my pieces. I think it looks great! Maybe I'll do something similar with my covers, where I'll just have the original art, and then the finished cover right next to it...

Hmmmm, I like the idea of interchangability (is that a word?), but I'm not sure those frames look entirely stable. I wonder how long they'd last in perfect condition if you changed ort too often.

ps: That's not a typo. laugh.gif

I get all of my art framed and hang it up. It keeps me from selling or trading them. Also, If I get tired of looking at a certian piece all the time, it means I don't love it(this happens very rarely), so I sell or trade it and put something else in the frame.

The frame is a thick black wood frame, black matting, and glass. When I frame color OA or movie posters, I use different kinds of frames and the place I use does most of the matching for me, they have very good sense of color and design.

The place I use (as do many at people at CGC) is Gallaries at Northgate and they are very reasonable price wise, very helpful, and and they ship.

If you have questions, call them and ask for Dwayne or Jennifer. Tell them that you want the same kind of framing for original comic art as Steve from the comic place. Even though they deal with very high end clients (some of the frames are $125 per foot 893whatthe.gif), the prices Dwayne quotes are very reasonable and volume might get you a better deal. The prices here blow away anything I was ever quoted in NY, NJ or CA.

The phone # is 941-358-0814

Hope that helps. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif