• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the next unrestored Tec #27 come to auction?
6 6

1,086 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

It definitely wasn't the 70s, that's when Snyder shocked everyone by paying high teens for the Church Marvel #1, and then it was the early 80s when The Dentist paid the crazy $25K for Action 1.

Been thinking about it since you asked - and it might have actually been Tec 27 that crossed both the 50K and the 75K barrier first. In the late 80s there were a couple sales of nice Action #1s reported in the mid-high $30s, and the initial sale of the Allentown Tec 27 was around that same price. But then in late 87, a Fantasy 15 sold for the INSANE price of $2200 (Overstreet was on record saying it was the nicest copy he had ever seen) and combined with the Overstreet Update, high grade SA was like 80%+ of the demand at stores and shows for the next couple of years, carrying over into early 89 when Robin was killed and Batmania then became like 80% of all sales (I picked up my first Sub-mariner #1 and Planet Comics #1 along this time in a straight trade deal for recent issues of Batman, Catwoman Mini and the like to a guy who did mainly mall and regional shows). I know a Barks painting sold for $75K in September 88, but can't think of any comics that reach that price, until...

March 1990 - The Allentown Detective #27 sells for $80K and still resides in the same collection today.

Also interesting to note that Tec #27 was also the first book to pass the $100K mark in early 1993 (copy I co-owned with Jerry Jacobs that hasn't been seen since)

Damn, that’s super interesting.

20 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

There is a lot of history on this board.  Bruce Hamilton, Theo Holstein, and this board's own Mitch Mehdy basically doubled the price of Action 1 from $1K to $2i in about a year or so.  The market making just accelerated after that.  

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Theo Holstein has a somewhat contentious history right? And yeah you guys will know a lot more than me based on the history of sales. I only started collecting as a kid in the early 90’s when my mom was buying me vintage comics. I didn’t get into serious collecting until 2012.

Edited by LDarkseid1

Just now, LDarkseid1 said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Theo Holstein has a somewhat contentious history right?

Nah.  He was just proud of his physique back in the 70s (my eyes! my eyes! I can't unsee those ads!).  My limited dealings with him were wonderful.  He sold me a comic rack from the Tower Theater drug store in Sacramento, California that my mom probably bought comics off of when she was a kid.  I also know that Catman Conrad has had good dealings with him.  He and Mitch may be eccentric (and how many here aren't?), but my personal dealings give me no grounds to complain.

1 minute ago, sfcityduck said:

Nah.  He was just proud of his physique back in the 70s (my eyes! my eyes! I can't unsee those ads!).  My limited dealings with him were wonderful.  He sold me a comic rack from the Tower Theater drug store in Sacramento, California that my mom probably bought comics off of when she was a kid.  I also know that Catman Conrad has had good dealings with him.  He and Mitch may be eccentric (and how many here aren't?), but my personal dealings give me no grounds to complain.

Ok because I swear there is a thread about him somewhere on the boards explaining some shady dealings. Maybe it was someone else 🤷‍♂️.

Edited by LDarkseid1

18 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

March 1990 - The Allentown Detective #27 sells for $80K and still resides in the same collection today.

So that makes two of us identifying the Allentown D27 as the first book over $50k.  Its a quorum!

Just now, Crowzilla said:

Could be the 9.2 copy for all I know. At the time, most everyone agreed it was the 2nd nicest known - it was an incredibly easy pick between that one and the Church copy (which was offered to us for the same price).

Ah!  "The other high grade D27"!

Yeah you know what, the more I think about it, I’m realizing it wasn’t Theo and he was those physical ads like you said. There’s definitely a thread about someone who was notoriously shady in how they sold/bought comics. I think it was a European guy.

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 10/24/2020 at 6:42 AM, bpc3qh said:

I suppose so, although none of those sales took place during a pandemic/recession/general crisis. Frankly, if I had a book like this I'd hold it during this type of time unless I desperately needed the money (which, I suppose, could be the case...)

Why would you say this when it's become quite apparent that many high demand books have been selling for huge unheard of record sums of money ever since this whole pandemic took hold back in March of this year?  :sick:  :flipbait:

Then again, I am not sure if this same scenario would apply to possible 7-figure books like 'Tec 27 and the like.  hm  (shrug)

14 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Why would you say this when it's become quite apparent that many high demand books have been selling for huge unheard of record sums of money ever since this whole pandemic took hold back in March of this year?  

Let's be real.  The rich are getting much richer this pandemic.  I'm killing it on the stock market.  IF you are depressed, love comics, and making money hand over fist due to low taxes and great stock returns, why not buy comics?  Better than drinking.

Edited by sfcityduck

1 hour ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Oh wow, I would have thought bigger prices would have been paid back then. Found this article where it looks like someone was selling one for a whopping $100 in 1967.

https://comiccoverage.typepad.com/comic_coverage/2008/06/dear-editor-when-action-comics-1-was-100.html

That was a deal.  The first "record price" I could find for an Action 1 when I was compiling a timeline of world record comic book prices was $250 in 1965.  See this thread:

11 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Are superhero books the only ones capable of the million dollar club?

Short of us experiencing Weimar Republic levels of inflation, no.

It's not like there are even a lot of superhero books that are capable of reaching $1m.  There are probably only 2 SA books capable of reaching $1m.

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:
On 10/21/2020 at 10:22 AM, tth2 said:

It's funny how we can all see the same thing and draw completely different conclusions.  I can't believe there are as many as 6 people willing to spend more than $1m on a comic!

Absolutely true, as I simply can't believe there would be any collector in the world who's willing to spend even $50K on a comic book.  :whatthe:

And yet, believe it or not, there actually are.  :baiting:  lol

Well, some conclusions are more rational than other conclusions. :baiting:

4 hours ago, DanCooper said:

If you are saying David Copperfield performed some magic on it and made it go from purple 7.5 to blue 5.5, then OK.

Where is tth2 and his love for the hobby quote?

I don't have a problem with removing restoration from a book and getting a lower universal grade. :foryou:

2 hours ago, Crowzilla said:
2 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I wonder what was the first comic to break $50K and when. I assume it was an Action 1, and I imagine it was an Action 1 that’s always broken that next barrier first. But yeah, I’m sure the $50K mark was exceeded back in the 70’s.

Definitely happened in the 2nd half of the 80s, not the 70s.

Yes

On 11/1/2020 at 10:09 AM, I am not Glenda said:

But when I see a 1980s TMNT #1 books hitting 100k it's not hard for me to think 20 million for say the Mile High comic # 1 Action or Tec #27 in 20 yrs is not a very real possibility imho.

What sale are you referring to in terms of a TMNT 1 selling for $100K?  ???

8 hours ago, Betty-Bates said:

You mean this book? Almost got it. Ended up with the Sup 1 as a boobie prize. The AC1 was a 7.5 slight.

20160522_204557.jpg

Resized_20160522_204759_1.jpg

what year was this ? also what is the grade and degree of resto on the Supes1 ?

Edited by Gotham Kid