• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the next unrestored Tec #27 come to auction?
6 6

1,086 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

What sale are you referring to in terms of a TMNT 1 selling for $100K?  ???

Hi, I personally know of a 95k private sale of a stunning WP 9.8 over the summer and if I recall there was a 90K sale at Heritage about a year or so ago. So when I say 100k I was off a few grand :) Still blows me away.

Edited by I am not Glenda

56 minutes ago, I am not Glenda said:
2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

What sale are you referring to in terms of a TMNT 1 selling for $100K?  ???

Hi, I personally know of a 95k private sale of a stunning WP 9.8 over the summer and if I recall there was a 90K sale at Heritage about a year or so ago. So when I say 100k I was off a few grand :) Still blows me away.

Pretty sure this comiclink sale came not too long AFTER the HA one

https://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fitems.asp%3Fid%3D4903&id=1404932

Edited by Gotham Kid

3 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

Big difference thus far on the Detective 29 and 31, both 5.0's. 29 is at 36K and 31 is at 80K. I'm thinking that gap will narrow quite a lot at the end. 

Shhh!

but what else strikes me as quite low now is the Tec 168 6.5. Maybe a bunch of bidding at the end on this one too

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Why would you say this when it's become quite apparent that many high demand books have been selling for huge unheard of record sums of money ever since this whole pandemic took hold back in March of this year?  :sick:  :flipbait:

Then again, I am not sure if this same scenario would apply to possible 7-figure books like 'Tec 27 and the like.  hm  (shrug)

I was obviously quite wrong--in my head I was distinguishing between the high sales we'd been seeing and a seven figure sale, which to me was different. In the end I'm glad I was wrong, b/c this is very cool to see.

12 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

So basically you could have almost doubled your money and had a free Supey 1-100?  Sounds a lot better than the Bat 1 you just got me.  Dealers like this should always be outed.  And did no one caller for graders notes to check on the cover cleaning?

of course we called...problem was book was graded in 2001 before Friessen got there and no one could definitely remember or rule out cleaning (and the cover "looked" a little washed out)... the "dealer" (from canada) that had sold the book is the one that "cast doubt", and since there was no way to know, I passed...

Edited by G.A.tor

5 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Pretty sure this comiclink sale came not too long AFTER the HA one

https://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fitems.asp%3Fid%3D4903&id=1404932

Hi, my point was that the fact that a copper age book was now commanding 58k, 65k or 95k it was not unreasonable that in 20 yrs we could see the right Action or Tec 27 hit 20 million (pure speculation) but if I had told you ten years ago TMNT would be commanding those kind of # ( about 10 yrs ago I passed on 9.8 for 10k) you would have told me to go to Arkham. On a side note ( it still blows me away that any copper age book is hitting those kind of #)

1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:

of course we called...problem was book was graded in 2001 before Friessen got there and no one could definitely remember or rule out cleaning (and the cover "looked" a little washed out)... the "dealer" (from canada) that had sold the book is the one that "cast doubt", and since there was no way to know, I passed...

And since it’s now blue label, we know the truth of it. 

so let me introduce a very good friend of mine and get his reaction:

image.gif.776de7c87d0fb8ffaccd2791002e4668.gif

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

1 hour ago, I am not Glenda said:

Hi, my point was that the fact that a copper age book was now commanding 58k, 65k or 95k it was not unreasonable that in 20 yrs we could see the right Action or Tec 27 hit 20 million (pure speculation) but if I had told you ten years ago TMNT would be commanding those kind of # ( about 10 yrs ago I passed on 9.8 for 10k) you would have told me to go to Arkham. On a side note ( it still blows me away that any copper age book is hitting those kind of #)

I am pretty sure that the guy who bought the two highest priced Action 1s had no interest in TMNT.  Seems like two entirely different markets.  I don't know what possesses someone to pay $90K (or even $55K) for the TMNT 1.  But, there are a lot of things about copper and modern collecting that I find wholly perplexing.  The modern/copper folks seem to be fixated on UPC symbols, manufactured collectibles, advertising inserts, and even reprint editions.  There appears to be, at least to my outsiders eyes, a weird mix of OCD completism and speculation and fixation on 9.8 grades which drives prices for otherwise ordinary comics into the stratosphere.  These are different impetuses than those that are driving GA prices at this point.  

5 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

I am pretty sure that the guy who bought the two highest priced Action 1s had no interest in TMNT.  Seems like two entirely different markets.  I don't know what possesses someone to pay $90K (or even $55K) for the TMNT 1.  But, there are a lot of things about copper and modern collecting that I find wholly perplexing.  The modern/copper folks seem to be fixated on UPC symbols, manufactured collectibles, advertising inserts, and even reprint editions.  There appears to be, at least to my outsiders eyes, a weird mix of OCD completism and speculation and fixation on 9.8 grades which drives prices for otherwise ordinary comics into the stratosphere.  These are different impetuses than those that are driving GA prices at this point.  

I think it was at SDCC in 2015 or so I remember seeing a dealer asking $24K for a CGC 9.8 TMNT 1. Who woulda thunk even then that it would double to almost quadruple several years later. But then again, those Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are kind of the cat’s meow of the copper collecting world.

50 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Like myself you just sound like an old timer ( have we become our fathers?)  No offense intended. I want to point out I NEVER suggested that the buyer for Action #1 was the same buyer as TMNT #1. However I would suggest that TMNT worldwide MAY be more popular than even the man of steel, not more historic. But with a bigger fan base that has still not reached their full earning potential. Make no mistake pound for pound  TMNT are comic book heavy weights.

18 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are kind of the cat’s meow of the copper collecting world.

Absolutely, and then some.  TMNT #1 is in a whole different category from any other book of the era or since. TMNT transcended the universe of comic book collectors and readers to become a worldwide pop culture sensation. Very few properties in any medium ever do that, and certainly there are no other comics from the 80's onward that had the same cultural impact.  Owning a copy of TMNT #1 is likely appealing to many who grew up exposed to the characters in their various media, not just in the comics.  Even if a person has no connection to the world of comic book collecting, they may feel an affinity for the Turtles.  And some of those people who grew up with the Turtles are now in lucrative careers that allow them to splurge on the introduction of characters they loved in their youth. Huge pool of buyers + small supply of comics =… $100k-ish, so far.

If you think of major comic book milestones in terms of their worldwide pop culture impact, outside of comic book collecting circles, you get Action 1, 'Tec 27, AF15, and TMNT 1 at the top of the list, IMHO.  Looking at it in those terms, $100K for a 9.8 might seem a bit more reasonable.

53 minutes ago, I am not Glenda said:

Like myself you just sound like an old timer ( have we become our fathers?)  No offense intended. I want to point out I NEVER suggested that the buyer for Action #1 was the same buyer as TMNT #1. However I would suggest that TMNT worldwide MAY be more popular than even the man of steel, not more historic. But with a bigger fan base that has still not reached their full earning potential. Make no mistake pound for pound  TMNT are comic book heavy weights.

I wear my old school colors proudly.  But, you're right that I probably do not appreciate the full appeal of TMNT.  I never thought it was all that popular a comic in the 1980s, thought the movies were not that good, and have never been tempted to watch more than a few glances at the cartoon.  So I'm not the demographic.  I have a long list of 80s comics that are more important to me than TMNT, cartoons from that era I prefer, and an infinite number of movies I find better than the TMNT series.  

1 hour ago, SOTIcollector said:

If you think of major comic book milestones in terms of their worldwide pop culture impact, outside of comic book collecting circles, you get Action 1, 'Tec 27, AF15, and TMNT 1 at the top of the list, IMHO.  Looking at it in those terms, $100K for a 9.8 might seem a bit more reasonable.

My list would definitely have a number of GA and SA comics (including AS 8, MC 1, CA 1, D38, FC 178/US 1, Pep 22, Avengers 1, and X-Men 1) higher than TMNT on that list, possibly also DK 1 as contemporary comic, and maybe some others from after the 1980s.  After all, I have little doubt that single Avengers movies have made more money than the entire TMNT movie series, that both Archie and Wonder Woman has a sustained pop culture significance that dwarfs the highpoint for TMNT, that X-Men are a much stronger franchise, that Uncle Scrooge and Ducktales are far stronger in Europe, and that the Marvel brand, with CA in particular, blows away TMNT to a point where it is not even a comparison. 

To me TMNT is more like Transformers in its pop culture impact.  The difference is that TMNT 1 only had a print run of 3K.  And when it comes to that kind of "rarity," I'd much rather have other actually "rare" books (one of which you own).

26 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

I wear my old school colors proudly.  But, you're right that I probably do not appreciate the full appeal of TMNT.  I never thought it was all that popular a comic in the 1980s, thought the movies were not that good, and have never been tempted to watch more than a few glances at the cartoon.  So I'm not the demographic.  I have a long list of 80s comics that are more important to me than TMNT, cartoons from that era I prefer, and an infinite number of movies I find better than the TMNT series.  

Whoa, Secret of the Ooze shaped my childhood! In the sense I was of course scared of snapping turtles and orange haired man beasts 😂

2 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

My list would definitely have a number of GA and SA comics (including AS 8, MC 1, CA 1, D38, FC 178/US 1, Pep 22, Avengers 1, and X-Men 1) higher than TMNT on that list, possibly also DK 1 as contemporary comic, and maybe some others from after the 1980s.  After all, I have little doubt that single Avengers movies have made more money than the entire TMNT movie series, that both Archie and Wonder Woman has a sustained pop culture significance that dwarfs the highpoint for TMNT, that X-Men are a much stronger franchise, that Uncle Scrooge and Ducktales are far stronger in Europe, and that the Marvel brand, with CA in particular, blows away TMNT to a point where it is not even a comparison. 

To me TMNT is more like Transformers in its pop culture impact.  The difference is that TMNT 1 only had a print run of 3K.  And when it comes to that kind of "rarity," I'd much rather have other actually "rare" books (one of which you own).

With all due respect I think your way off on how popular the TMNT franchise is both domestically and worldwide. This link below will surprise you and then consider TMNT started as a comic meaning to my knowledge  ( I am not the familiar with Japanese comics)  But the it's Marvel Universe, Spiderman, Batman, Peanuts, Avengers & then TMNT of highest-grossing comic media franchises. I am not sure if Peanuts should be there as I think they started as a Newspaper Strip. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_media_franchises ( I also think this thread might not be the best place for a TMNT debate lol)

1 hour ago, Mr bla bla said:

There are som big whales in the waters circling this covid Tec. 

Are you saying the reason its at the price its at is because of corona or "corona related"? If so ok but maybe it could be just that its the highest graded 27 to come around in 10 years and there are only a few graded higher in existence. If I were Mr Hariri, or a Rockefeller, or a Bezos, or a Clinton or Bush I'd bid 2 million on it . 2.1 million. Actually 2.2 million just to be safe and that still might not be enough. Better make it 3 million. Thats like 2 grand for the average person to them. Good chance none of us will ever see a higher graded one for auction. 

16 minutes ago, I am not Glenda said:

With all due respect I think your way off on how popular the TMNT franchise is both domestically and worldwide. This link below will surprise you and then consider TMNT started as a comic meaning to my knowledge ( ( I am not the familiar with Japanese comics) It is the Marvel Universe, Spiderman, Batman, Peanuts, Avengers & then TMNT List of highest-grossing media franchises THAT STARTED AS COMIC BOOKS so I am not sure if Peanuts should be there as I think they started as a Newspaper Strip. List of highest-grossing media franchises. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_media_franchises ( I also think this thread might not be the best place for a TMNT debate lol)

Agree we're derailing the thread.  That list is not a measure of pop culture significance unless you equate that with merchandizing dollar totals starting in 1990, which I don't.  But, you are right that TMNT has generated an impressive $14.6B in revenue (all but $1.4B of which is merchandizing) which is way more than I would have guessed.  It not as lucrative as Transformers, but it is impressive.  Still, it doesn't change my list of the top pop culturally significant comic originated characters because for me that significance is more about eyeballs and constant media and pop culture presence than toy revenues.