• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Foil Embossed Test Cover Question - 92-93'
2 2

140 posts in this topic

Getting mildly back to the topic at hand, the value of something is driven of course by supply and demand.

I think it is reasonable at least to suppose the supply is fairly low, whether its a 100 or 10.  No else here as thus far been able to find more info about it or even other pictures of it, and the sleuths here are pretty impressive on the whole.

BUT the other side of the equation is demand, which requires that people want it for a reason, which for something relatively rare and esoteric, who would really want it, and why would they pay a premium for it?  Here's some common reasons.

1.  Its a rare comic - But this isn't technically a comic.

2.  Its rare original art - But this technically isn't original art either.

3.  This is rare publishing ephemera - I guess if you're really into that....great!

4.  You're a Captain America or Black Knight  completionist - Is anyone doing that?  Anyone with money?  Admittedly possible with Captain America, but that doesn't happen in the same way it does with Spiderman, Batman, Superman, Wolverine, Deadpool, and many others.

5.  You love the artist - Steve Epting has done a ton of great work and he is respected, but does his milkshake bring all the boys to the yard?

6.  Does it look cool - I'd say yes.

7.  Condition matters - self explanatory.

8.  History and Story might matter - possibly the point of the thread, so far pretty inconclusive.  And even if a bit more history was known, what evidence is there that isn't conjecture?

9.  Do enough people know about it or enough about it to know they both want it and want to pay a lot for it?

10.  Key issue - This isn't a comic, but the value would probably go up if the cover was used for a key comic.  I don't think that's the case here.

11.  Is it old? - Old, but not old enough.

is there a decent chance that some knowledgeable boardie already saw this thread and knows something about but has no desire to help the newb who has played 18,0000 hours of PORGMaster3000 or whatever game because of his attitude?

See the source image

2 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

I live dangerously...

In all seriousness, I just don't like the style of art. And for me, my reason for reading, buying and collecting is 70% artwork, 30% story. Good art can carry a poor to average story. I have a hard time finding the opposite, personally, because comics are so visual. I appreciate how the style changed and appealed to people at the time but for me, I never liked it.

So for me, gimmicks combined with everyone trying to be like Todd McFarlane and Jim Lee ruined comics. The desire to buy and read something created between 1990-2000 is nil. I just find artists from earlier were more distinct. I can tell a Ditko from a Kirby from a Kane from a Romita from a Steranko from a Sienkiewicz and I love that. In the 90's, it all looks like some house style pumped out to the muscle and chesty loving masses. 

But perhaps this is a discussion for elsewhere....wouldnt want to distract the original poster from getting responses he cares about. 

The 90s is a double edged sword. While the exuberance of the market from 1990-1993 led to tons of excess, and mountains of garbage being published, it also facilitated the publication of a lot of stuff by talented creators that otherwise might never have had the chance.

So, sure, ignore everything from Marvel and DC (with the exception of Sandman, Marvels, and Kingdom Come) and you're good to go. But...there are some gems from the period:

Bone (1991)

I, Lusiphur/Poison Elves (lovely Drew Hayes art, 1991)

Strangers in Paradise (1993)

Astro City (1995)

Marvels (1994)

Archer & Armstrong (1992, BWS art #0-12)

Solar #1-10 (Alpha & Omega, again BWS art, and an absolutely magnificent transition from the Gold Key characters to Valiant. Wildly underrated; 1991)

Cry For Dawn (1989) Not great storywise, but lovely Linsner art

Star Wars: Dark Empire (1993)

Sin City (1991)

There's more, but those are some of the quality books from the time period.

1 hour ago, revat said:

is there a decent chance that some knowledgeable boardie already saw this thread and knows something about but has no desire to help the newb who has played 18,0000 hours of PORGMaster3000 or whatever game because of his attitude?

:gossip: It's just a cover proof. I have no doubt that Marvel gave these away at a con as a prize in 1993. 

6 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:
4 hours ago, shadroch said:

As a long time Avengers collector, these are the oddball items I love to find. At auction, I might go $25, perhaps $35 on it.

You mean $25,000-35,000, right?

lol

If shipping is included, I'd consider sniping at $36.

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

The 90s is a double edged sword. While the exuberance of the market from 1990-1993 led to tons of excess, and mountains of garbage being published, it also facilitated the publication of a lot of stuff by talented creators that otherwise might never have had the chance.

So, sure, ignore everything from Marvel and DC (with the exception of Sandman, Marvels, and Kingdom Come) and you're good to go. But...there are some gems from the period:

Bone (1991)

I, Lusiphur/Poison Elves (lovely Drew Hayes art, 1991)

Strangers in Paradise (1993)

Astro City (1995)

Marvels (1994)

Archer & Armstrong (1992, BWS art #0-12)

Solar #1-10 (Alpha & Omega, again BWS art, and an absolutely magnificent transition from the Gold Key characters to Valiant. Wildly underrated; 1991)

Cry For Dawn (1989) Not great storywise, but lovely Linsner art

Star Wars: Dark Empire (1993)

Sin City (1991)

There's more, but those are some of the quality books from the time period.

I agree with this list.

I guess for me, I feel I can pick up any comic published between 1965-1990 and be happy with the art and story. Perhaps not groundbreaking or amazing every single time, but great fun, readable and art I enjoy. I cannot say this for the 90s, with the exception of some of what you have listed. And to me the main reason is the artwork in the books at this time. 

Edited by comicginger1789

Peter David wrote a story about how a bunch of creators at a panel created a public hazard by lobbing gold edition books into the crowd in Chicago. I don't remember if it was the Image crew or Valiant. Companies used to give some wild swag.

Did you bunch of a##holes drive away the #Energyvampire???

He kept that thing in the original sleeve for thirty years. Thirty f#&@?@g years.

7 minutes ago, Park said:

Did you bunch of a##holes drive away the #Energyvampire???

He kept that thing in the original sleeve for thirty years. Thirty f#&@?@g years.

With that attitude it’s probably not the only thing that’s been in a sleeve for thirty years.