• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Foil Embossed Test Cover Question - 92-93'
2 2

140 posts in this topic

56 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:
2 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

First, you're responding to Park, and Park doesn't know what you're talking about.

Second, no. You are very, very much mistaken, for all of the reasons I've already explained in lengthy detail. As I already explained, Silver Surfer #50 was NOT the first foil embossed comic ever made. Steve Epting's first Marvel work was Avengers #335, which came out two months AFTER Silver Surfer #50 was published. How, then, is Steve Epting meant to have drawn a cover, for a title he was not yet working on, which was then supposed to have been the prototype for "all" foil covers prior to the man even working for the company...?

Read carefully bro.

Good luck!

The first time Marvel talked to Epting, he wasn't available for regular work, so they asked him to just draw an Avengers cover. They liked it so much that they decided to use it test a process that had never before been used in comics to create a foil cover. It worked, so they had the writers work toward a story line that would suit that cover years later after Epting was able to join them.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly how it went down. (thumbsu

tumblr_nms7s6PRiz1qfr6udo1_500.gif&f=1&n

You don't know.

1 minute ago, Lazyboy said:

Are you mocking my very serious, 100% factually accurate post? :sumo:

I sure hope nobody actually took that post seriously. Secret message preserved.

Never. Now hand over my Mr. Fusion. I have some Detective Comics #27s to buy.

Some people might find this neat or moderately interesting. Not me. To me, this cover is everything that is wrong with comics. Foil covers and the like ruined comics in the 90's. Its like a petrified poop from Abe Lincoln. Piece of history? Yup. But it still belongs in the toilet.

You seem to have all the information on it. In terms of finding someone to corroborate your story, I would suggest what others have about contacting Marvel in some capacity, or perhaps CGC in the event they have had such a thing come through for grading in the past. In fact, if you know of an ebay sale of such an item, why not reach out to contact that seller and see what they did to get it authenticated.

I understand and appreciate your quest for more info, however coming on here and insulting people who respond just seems silly. I also don't think that some magical Marvel guru will come on here and authenticate it for you. If you could be specific about the convention and where exactly, perhaps someone here was also there and remembers this contest. That would help maybe jog a few memories. 

36 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Some people might find this neat or moderately interesting. Not me. To me, this cover is everything that is wrong with comics. Foil covers and the like ruined comics in the 90's. Its like a petrified poop from Abe Lincoln. Piece of history? Yup. But it still belongs in the toilet.

You seem to have all the information on it. In terms of finding someone to corroborate your story, I would suggest what others have about contacting Marvel in some capacity, or perhaps CGC in the event they have had such a thing come through for grading in the past. In fact, if you know of an ebay sale of such an item, why not reach out to contact that seller and see what they did to get it authenticated.

I understand and appreciate your quest for more info, however coming on here and insulting people who respond just seems silly. I also don't think that some magical Marvel guru will come on here and authenticate it for you. If you could be specific about the convention and where exactly, perhaps someone here was also there and remembers this contest. That would help maybe jog a few memories. 

This is a dangerous/incorrect statement IMO.

My understanding is that the foil, variant, and other 'hype' advertising ("1st Issue Collector's Edition!") "crashed" the market back then. I personally love the comic art and content of the 90's and think it's some of the best that is available to read.

Everything else you've said is spot-on, though.

19 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

My understanding is that the foil, variant, and other 'hype' advertising ("1st Issue Collector's Edition!") "crashed" the market back then. I personally love the comic art and content of the 90's and think it's some of the best that is available to read.

I agree on this, as I do like some of the 90's story and art. I was a sucker for the gimmicky foil or holofoil stuff though.. (shrug) was a kid shiny was cool... right like iron man so shiny... lol 

Just now, Krismusic said:

I agree on this, as I do like some of the 90's story and art. I was a sucker for the gimmicky foil or holofoil stuff though.. (shrug)was a kid shiny was cool... right like iron man so shiny... lol 

True. I remember getting Magneto #0 and Cable #1 as a kid because of their shiny foil covers. Although, Magneto was also one of my favorite X-Men characters, playing a part in that purchase.

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

True. I remember getting Magneto #0 and Cable #1 as a kid because of their shiny foil covers. Although, Magneto was also one of my favorite X-Men characters, playing a part in that purchase.

Magneto was also one of my favorite characters as well. I always pondered if Wolverine would ever be able to defeat Magneto, but he wouldn't be able to as Magneto could just control his skeleton and do whatever he wants with him... always dreamt of ways that wolvie would be able to defeat him but never could come up with a scenario... ahh childhood..:cloud9: 

13 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

Magneto was also one of my favorite characters as well. I always pondered if Wolverine would ever be able to defeat Magneto, but he wouldn't be able to as Magneto could just control his skeleton and do whatever he wants with him... always dreamt of ways that wolvie would be able to defeat him but never could come up with a scenario... ahh childhood..:cloud9: 

I used to have a book called something like, "Science of the X-Men", that explained how their fictional powers would be ranked if they were real. Magneto was deemed the most powerful X-Men character because of his abilities to manipulate Earth's magnetic fields (among other things). They said, realistically, his powers were seemingly infinite.

I think that Havoc was ranked #2, IIRC.

48 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I live dangerously...

In all seriousness, I just don't like the style of art. And for me, my reason for reading, buying and collecting is 70% artwork, 30% story. Good art can carry a poor to average story. I have a hard time finding the opposite, personally, because comics are so visual. I appreciate how the style changed and appealed to people at the time but for me, I never liked it.

So for me, gimmicks combined with everyone trying to be like Todd McFarlane and Jim Lee ruined comics. The desire to buy and read something created between 1990-2000 is nil. I just find artists from earlier were more distinct. I can tell a Ditko from a Kirby from a Kane from a Romita from a Steranko from a Sienkiewicz and I love that. In the 90's, it all looks like some house style pumped out to the muscle and chesty loving masses. 

But perhaps this is a discussion for elsewhere....wouldnt want to distract the original poster from getting responses he cares about. 

8 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I used to have a book called something like, "Science of the X-Men", that explained how their fictional powers would be ranked if they were real. Magneto was deemed the most powerful X-Men character because of his abilities to manipulate Earth's magnetic fields (among other things). They said, realistically, his powers were seemingly infinite.

I think that Havoc was ranked #2, IIRC.

I remember reading a book like this but I dont think it was the same book but it had a origin of each character, bio and rankings of powers... I can't remember the title but it was like a paperback book like a goosebumps book I remember carrying it to school to debate with my friends about who was the most powerful x-men and they ranked phoenix as #1 /jean grey then magneto then Charles. Now I will have to go google for awhile to see if I can find that book again... wow.. memories..