• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daredevil 11. NM?

16 posts in this topic

Hi. Here's another detailed scan of a high grade Silver Age book I just picked up recently. It's a Daredevil 11 and it seems to be from the same collection since it has the same infernal date stamp. (It's actually from the Green River collection which doesn't seem to be an official pedigree.) I understand CGC doesn't take the date stamp into account though.

Please note that the scans are extremely large to show every detail (good or bad).

Your comments/unofficial CGC grading are much appreciated. I'll probably end up sending some of these to CGC at the end of the week.

Daredevil 11 - Front Cover Scan (573k)

Daredevil 11 - Back Scan (610k)

Daredevil-11-Front-s.jpg

I apologize for the size of this internal image, but I'm not sure how possible it is to accurately grade a comic based on a small, blurry image.

I'd say 9.2 maybe 9.4?

My only concern is that top staple, it looks like cover is slightly pulled from it?

Back cover is amazingly clean, there's no transfer stains or other discolorations.

I'm mainly Golgen Age collector so I'm not very confident about my silver age grading skills.

BTW your scans are great. No need to apologize.

I wish all scans in ebay-auctions were like this.

Very nice book.

I personally wouldn't call it a solid NM only because of the indented staples. I'm not sure exactly how CGC handles them though, since I haven't owned any high grade 9.4+ slabs that had them.

From what I have seen CGC does not downgrade much for indented staples.

I have had an ASM 32 and 36 in 9.4 with severely indented staples that were not apart of my collection for long as they are a huge eyesore for me personally.

Looks around a VF/NM 9.0 with the top edge factoring alot into that grade.

Green River is a recognized pedigree through CGC as well.

have had an ASM 32 and 36 in 9.4 with severely indented staples that were not apart of my collection for long as they are a huge eyesore for me personally.

I don't like indented staples either and wouldn't consider a book NM with them. This is the worst problem the book has that I can see.

The date stamp is not a problem, most Green River books have them and Heritage had an ASM 29 CGC 9.6 from the Green River collection that had a stamp right in the centre of the cover.

I would give the book a 9.0 with a shot at a 9.2.

The grades given by the members of this board were actually pretty close to what CGC gave it.

I just got a CGC shipment back and this Daredevil #11 Green River copy received a 9.4

The grades given by the members of this board were actually pretty close to what CGC gave it.

I just got a CGC shipment back and this Daredevil #11 Green River copy received a 9.4

And just for those with short memories, here's my reply:

"That super back cover will guarantee a 9.4 in my opinion. Nice book and definitely submit that sucker."

Pay special attention to the words "guarantee" and "definitely submit". grin.gifgrin.gif

And just for those with short memories, here's my reply:

"That super back cover will guarantee a 9.4 in my opinion. Nice book and definitely submit that sucker."

Pay special attention to the words "guarantee" and "definitely submit".

attention mongering whore 893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gifinsane.gifgoodevil.gifstooges.gifacclaim.gif

Regardless of what CGC will asssign, it's a 9.0 . A BEAUTIFUL book with projection TEARS emanating from all 4 staple access holes (the most severe type of spine stress). I've seen books like this in CGC 9.4 and 9.6 holders but that doesn't mean they necessarily belong in them. Read the Overstreet definitions and the answer to the grade on this is an easy lay-up.

Sure Hammer, but the question wasn't what grade it deserved, but what grade CGC would give it. There is a distinction.

I think an operative question would be "What grade it deserved over which time it was submitted?" insane.gif