• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Role of Punisher is cast

30 posts in this topic

Oh lord! Couldn't they have picked someone a little less "glamorous" to play Punny? Shouldn't he be all scarred up and worn out looking.

I think that was always my biggest problem with the character. Until recently, the Punisher looked more like a high-dollar assasin than a criminal-like vigilante.

Only way this movie can be any good is if they get Ennis to write it. If he's not on board, than I'm not watching it.

And, please, let's keep this thread "Dolph Lundgren Free".

Chris

He's also a little short at 5' 11". Dolph at least had the intimidating size and stature of Frank Castle at 6' 6". I dunno how much acting it takes to walk around saying nothing and shooting people; I'm not convinced Dolph couldn't play a good Punisher given a better filmmaking crew behind him.

I'm skeptical...I've seen Jane recently in "61*", "Original Sin" and "The Sweetest Thing"...I think he's a decent actor, but I'm not sure he's dark, edgy or physically imposing enough to be a good Punisher. I would have loved to have seen Vin Diesel play the part...his new movie, "A Man Apart" seems to have some Punisher-esque overtones from the two commercials I've seen.

In more uplifting movie news, Jennifer Garner is splitting up with her husband! "Yoo-hoo, Jen, over here! Wanna come over and see my Daredevil/Elektra collection???" tongue.gifwink.gifgrin.gif

Gene

>>I would have loved to have seen Vin Diesel play the part...his new movie, "A Man Apart" seems to have some Punisher-esque overtones from the two commercials I've seen.

I really don't see a Punisher movie working in the least, as it has nothing to offer compared to the zillion other revenge-based movies. Punny was highly derivative when he first appeared in 1974, and is now a downright cliche.

I really don't see a Punisher movie working in the least, as it has nothing to offer compared to the zillion other revenge-based movies.

You hit the nail on the head! Let's stop it with all the comic-book movies already! (After Hulk, of course smile.gif )

Chris

I really don't see a Punisher movie working in the least, as it has nothing to offer compared to the zillion other revenge-based movies.

You know, you're probably right. Unless they add other elements from the Marvel Universe (i.e., other superheroes/villains), it's going to look like any other ex-cop out for revenge flick. And, given the cross-licensing nightmare that is Marvel Films, I doubt they would be able to do that with any of the major characters even if they wanted to.

Punny was highly derivative when he first appeared in 1974, and is now a downright cliche.

True, I used to be a big fan of Don Pendleton's "Mack Bolan: The Executioner" novels, and the Punisher was a straight rip-off of Bolan (even his creators have admitted that publicly).

Gene

There are two comic movies that signal the beginning of the end:

DC's Shazam

Marvel's Punisher

Those two have zero chance of ever attracting a big audience (I wouldn't see them on a dare), and will be the downfall of the whole comic movie fad.

Wow - nothing like some hyperbole and overstatements there hennie.A guy who goes around shooting up stuff will attract a large teenage audience - are you not familiar with all those ultra violent vidoe games and how popular they are?

Nevermind. It's obvious you're unfamiliar with the approximate 8 billion Punisher-like novels and movies, and simply see how innovative and ground-breaking the character is.

One of the most important aspects of buying a movie property is to ensure it has enough unique attributes to make it worth the cash. Other than the skull on his chest, Punny is about as obvious a stereotype as you could find and he's nowhere near a well-known character with the general public.

Why would you pay Marvel big bucks when you can just hire Vin Diesel and make the same movie for a fraction of the amount?

A guy who goes around shooting up stuff

grin.gif You mean taking the law into his own hands? The Punisher is all about justice baby! He doesnt have much time to stand in one place (because he's such a popular guy with law enforcement ya know), so he gives hardened criminals a more speedy trial in his own way. laugh.gif

Height dosen't matter in movies. Just look at Snipes; He looks big and bad in the Blade movies right? Well, I saw him in the audience at a local Kickboxing competition 6 or 7 years ago, and I was shocked at his size; I'm 6 feet, and he was at least 3 inches shorter than I was.

Sly is another example; You see him in a movie like "Get Carter" and the way it's shot, you'd think he was 6 ' 4, but he's only 5 ' 8 or maybe even shorter.

What matters more is the physique. You can work angles and do all sorts of things to increase height, but you need the muscle for the full effect.

All that being said, judging from what I've seen of this guy, he's too much of a pretty boy.

Yes we all know how unique most hollywood movies and characters are - hollywood is a gold mine of uniqueness. They just reinvent the whell for every movie or cd put out. Yeah right. Most popular music or movies are purely derivative as the producers want to stick to a known seller - what is currently hot. few things break out of the mold and are truly daring or unique.

You use brushes. I'll use something else

Meanwhile, she's probably in a delivery room right now trying to pump out a 50LB infant from her loins. blush.gif