• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bobpfef's Chicago Con Report

40 posts in this topic

No Alan Moore books? confused-smiley-013.gif

Actually, I picked up a PERFECT copy of Swamp Thing #21, probably my favorite single Alan Moore comic. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I was thinking about having it slabbed, as I have a 9.4 now and though this was better, but after my results with the Sandman #50 Platinum I decided not to do it now. Perhaps next year.

This was a great show for buying, at least for me. I could have easily spent twice as much money as I had. There were many many things I would have bought in an instant if I saw them in my LCS if I could them for the same prices I saw on them in Chicago that I passed on just because there was SO MUCH good stuff.

Bob

Actually, I picked up a PERFECT copy of Swamp Thing #21, probably my favorite single Alan Moore comic. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I was thinking about having it slabbed, as I have a 9.4 now and though this was better, but after my results with the Sandman #50 Platinum I decided not to do it now. Perhaps next year.

This was a great show for buying, at least for me. I could have easily spent twice as much money as I had. There were many many things I would have bought in an instant if I saw them in my LCS if I could them for the same prices I saw on them in Chicago that I passed on just because there was SO MUCH good stuff.

Bob

Nice! How much is that puppy going for these days?

I picked up a 9.6 off eBay back around Xmas time. It's one of my top 10 favorite books in the collection. Was pretty happy with what I paid for it as well.

Bob keeps on asking me to do a con report but there's already been enough of those, so instead I'm going to take my show and tell from the dinner online and here are books I scored at the show. I only attended Saturday but feel for sure I should have attended an extra day. I missed some booths I seriously regret missing now such as cbk's and Moondog's. Drat! Anyway I did find a way to spend all my cash on these:

899961-AdventuresintoWeirdWorlds3s.jpg

899961-MurderoudGangsters3s.jpg

899961-WarCombat1s.jpg

899961-CrusaderfromMars1s.jpg

899961-AdventureComics174s.jpg

899961-BafflingMysteries7s.jpg

899961-KerryDrake30s.jpg

899961-HauntofFear11s.jpg

899961-StarSpangled126s.jpg

899961-StarSpangled126s.jpg.17c6440fbc78f729ce52ee4947ded57a.jpg

I LOVE that Adventures into Wierd Worlds cover and that Baffling is pretty sweet too. What I've always liked about your collection was the amazing diversity of genres. Thanks for posting. thumbsup2.gif

Looks like you got some very cool books. That'll keep the Month thread going for a while.

Have you had a chance to read AdvWW 3? Nice stories to complement the cover.

Looks like you got some very cool books. That'll keep the Month thread going for a while.

Have you had a chance to read AdvWW 3? Nice stories to complement the cover.

Nope not yet BUT I read Champion today and have been learning all about Gene's many horses. Coming soon to a thread near you. And I am not running out of books any time soon as I have about 200 to profile left to go at this moment. I've gotta be crazy! I started to convert some posts to Word documents and tried to print them out after changing the style to 2 columns and it works out pretty nicely. I am starting a binder to archive the entries (which means I'll have to revisit some of the early ones as they were kinda bare). I'll see if I can fit reading the AWW this weekend. I was jazzed to find that one and to get the two DCs. For higher guiding books, I'm glad to take lower grade ones as long as the overall eye-appeal is there as seen in the Star Spangled + Robin organizes tours of the bat-cave in it for 50 cents. So much for secrecy 893whatthe.gif

Nobody's better than Carl Barks. If I was laying sick and dying and all I could do was read comics, I'd ask for a big stack of Bark's duck books, a bunch of Archie's and DC's from the late 50's and early sixties and all The golden age Archives ever made.

Nobody's better than Carl Barks. If I was laying sick and dying and all I could do was read comics, I'd ask for a big stack of Bark's duck books, a bunch of Archie's and DC's from the late 50's and early sixties and all The golden age Archives ever made.

Sounds good to me thumbsup2.gif

Except for the "laying sick and dying" part. 27_laughing.gif

Here is a very good discussion on the TCJ board about Carl Barks and John Stanley. Both sides have make some good points. Basically it comes down to, IMO, what type of stories you enjoy.

Carl Barks versus John Stanley

Super link. What comes out of the discussion for everyone there is really just a greater appreciation for both men.

It also leads to www.michaelbarrier.com, which was an interesting find for me.

Best,

Marc

I'd probably request medical treatment first, comics second. But that's me.

I'd probably request medical treatment first, comics second. But that's me.

WIMP!!!