• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

House of Mystery 190 $735.00

42 posts in this topic

darn, you guys were getting me excited cuz i know i have at least one of these in VG or thereabouts and all this talk of "scarce" and such, maybe I could get $5 for it.

alas, there are several copies up right now that fit that description.

So what do you say if you're marlede? "I was obviously shilled and I'll pay you $5 (or $10 - whatever it is) over the $578 of the third highest bidder?"

Does the $735 go into GPA with any notes? Should I be posting this in the "Ask Greggy" thread? confused-smiley-013.gif

Why would it be a shill? There were 3 last second snipes back to back to back. Plus, given the underbidder's win and how that book fits into his registry, the bid is most likely legit!

Ok, I'll bite. How do you know the 0-feedback underbidder, "breakoutthelube" needs the book "in his registry"?

So what do you say if you're marlede? "I was obviously shilled and I'll pay you $5 (or $10 - whatever it is) over the $578 of the third highest bidder?"

Does the $735 go into GPA with any notes? Should I be posting this in the "Ask Greggy" thread? confused-smiley-013.gif

Why would it be a shill? There were 3 last second snipes back to back to back. Plus, given the underbidder's win and how that book fits into his registry, the bid is most likely legit!

Ok, I'll bite. How do you know the 0-feedback underbidder, "breakoutthelube" needs the book "in his registry"?

greggy thinks the id belongs to me, but it doesn't. 893naughty-thumb.gif

greggy thinks the id belongs to me, but it doesn't. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Whoever "breakoutthelube" is, he/she cost me an extra $100 with a last second snipe attempt for the Rosa Witching Hour 38.

Which by the way is another comic missing from Sterling's registry

so what? Are you guys detectives now? Be thankful he didn't bid $1k. BTW, why are you hoarding WH #38. Is that at least two issues in the last two months.

BTW, I have lots of holes in my collections. And that id does not belong to me.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

so what? Are you guys detectives now? Be thankful he didn't bid $1k. BTW, why are you hoarding WH #38. Is that at least two issues in the last two months.

BTW, I have lots of holes in my collections. And that id does not belong to me.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Nothing like a quote to show a deleted post.

No, I'm not hoarding them, I'm upgrading.

He could have it for $1,000. I bid what I would pay for it. $650.

I definitely overpaid for this comic book, but since it will reside in my comic gallery for decades it really doesn't matter in the long run. As I have been amused to read in these postings, let me confirm that I am a Halloween collector with a book on my collection actually on the market. Unbelievably, my book still sells strongly after 2 years. I am quite well known in the vintage holiday market, and have appeared on Antiques Roadshow FYI (the show with my segment will be rebroadcast in October), Collectible Treasures, etc. My collection has been profiled in many magazines with the latest articles to appear in the October 2005 issues of Country Living and Mary Engelbreit's Home Companion. Vintage Halloween material is almost impossible to find nowadays. So, over the last year I began wanting to collect something else, and settled on bronze horror comic books at the urging of my good friend, Matt Kirscht. Matt is a crazily talented artist I have had the privilege to know for 7 years. He is known, I guess, as either Shiver or Shiverbones on these forums. I have begun collecting high-grade bronze horror to fill a room I converted into a gallery complete with special lighting, slat wall and acrylic shelving. Although my collection is in its nascent stages, I have managed to locate a suprising number of superb copies of the titles/numbers I am most interested in. Those copies I am most wishing to obtain will be obtained over time. I tend to acquire what I set out to acquire, so if this tendency throws off the pricing you-who-are-now-reading-this have relied on, I do apologize. It isn't my intent to cause consternation among those who have been in the hobby for a long time. For the record, I am not an investor, but a collector. I am 46, and don't intend to sell any of my collections until I am in my 60s, assuming I make it that long. (I have decided I don't care for most MVL products and will be disposing of these items via Ebay over the next several months.) I retired from Intel Corporation in 2001 and have the luxury of truly focusing on my hobbies. If you'd like to chat, or send me hate mail for escalating the prices of high-grade items perhaps a bit more quickly than anticipated, please contact me through my website, halloweencollector.com. This is the first time I have ventured onto these forums since my initial foray when I registered with the Collector's Society, and probably won't log on again for some time. Best, Mark B. Ledenbach

You son of a 893censored-thumb.gif

Welcome to the forums 893applaud-thumb.gif

I think its just awesome to have you here.

Boy this could turn this into a Halloween chat board in a hurry.

So what are the Action 1's and Detective 27's of the Halloween collecting world?

The Halloween collecting world is, unfortunately, an expensive one. The best of the best are German items made prior to 1935...candy containers, games, diecuts, noisemakers, etc. Good candy containers go for between $250-$5,000. The single most coveted Halloween item is a large German parade lantern (on the cover of my book) made in about 1915. I acquired it in 1997 for $6200 and it is worth today somewhere between $12,500 and $17,500. There is only one known to exist. Thanks for asking! Mark