• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Real or Fake - Action #1 Recreation by Joe Shuster

108 posts in this topic

52 minutes ago, comicartcom said:

I know many people who would like to punish him the same ways that the Renaissance authorities would have. I have a fire with a hot poker ready to go for him myself

What is a bull elephant Alex?

D63BF0EF-3F7B-4C17-BF05-003D1A09FAC3.jpeg.152b059494f773fbd51696a192671b14.jpeg

On 1/28/2020 at 11:03 AM, RBerman said:

Why do collectors frown on restoration? If the damage was incidental (e.g. dented paper) then undoing the damage returns the work to its original form. Obviously some restoration is more intrusive than others.

It's not restoration per se drawing frowns. Its the non disclosure of restoration and the allowing of pressing to improve a books appearance but not call that restoration(tsk)

On 1/28/2020 at 1:30 PM, zhamlau said:

Haha I knew of Danny through his sports card trimming, forgot he was a comic book guy too. He was a “renaissance man” no doubt.

Hey can you ask Danny if he has any perfect ten Pete Alonso rookie cards if you see him? I'm guessing he has a trunk load.

11 hours ago, grapeape said:

Hey can you ask Danny if he has any perfect ten Pete Alonso rookie cards if you see him? I'm guessing he has a trunk load.

Its funny you should mention that, i have a few clean non-dannys myself.

GoldAlonso.thumb.jpg.a7eccdc6c8fc97271d9d2deb86007c56.jpg

On 1/28/2020 at 2:03 PM, RBerman said:

Why do collectors frown on restoration? If the damage was incidental (e.g. dented paper) then undoing the damage returns the work to its original form. Obviously some restoration is more intrusive than others.

Restoration can't bring anything back to its original form.  It may enhance the look of an item in its current form.  It may improve it structurally but it never returns an item to its original form.

1 minute ago, pemart1966 said:

Restoration can't bring anything back to its original form.  It may enhance the look of an item in its current form.  It may improve it structurally but it never returns an item to its original form.

sure, I didn't mean to imply a 100% fix. But for instance, if a piece of art has gathered dust or cobwebs, surely it's not wrong to remove them. Ultimately "acceptable interventions" vs "unacceptable interventions" are whatever the market says they are. I would just think that pressing out creases would fall in the "acceptable" category where replacing staples would not.

1 hour ago, RBerman said:

sure, I didn't mean to imply a 100% fix. But for instance, if a piece of art has gathered dust or cobwebs, surely it's not wrong to remove them. Ultimately "acceptable interventions" vs "unacceptable interventions" are whatever the market says they are. I would just think that pressing out creases would fall in the "acceptable" category where replacing staples would not.

Actually, depending on the grade, replaced staples do not affect the grade.  IIRC, there is even a distinction between modern and vintage staple replacement in Overstreet. 

Of course, any restoration should be disclosed, but in lower grades might not affect value.

David