• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Magik

41 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Well, you realize you now must provide a list of these alleged issues, right? :baiting:

Most characters are showing up as their alter-ego first. So it's not going to be A list characters, but B and below, like Magik.

A list is not necessary as it was a blanket statement that could not be proven from the outset.

Magik #1 should be labeled "1st appearance Illyana as Magik".   New Mutants 14 and Magik #1 cannot be the 1st appearance of Magik because the character, Illyana already appeared in Giant size X-men #1, X-men 160,161.Reference 1st Psylocke, 1st Mockingbird, 1st Red hood.

X-men 160 published August 1982 is labeled correctly "1st appearance Illyana as adult  (Magik)" is labeled correctly. However, the codename Magik is not created/published until over a year later.

Magik 1 should be  "1st appearance Illyana as Magik" because it is the first time the character tied to the name "Magik". In addition, Illyana is narrating the mini series as an adult explaining how she got her powers.

New Mutants 14 was published April 1984 continues after Magik #4 published March 1984.

New Mutants 14 also references readers to read the mini series on page 2.image.thumb.png.0d79e8727b476d5182e26c9761e512e4.png

Am I saying New Mutants 14 should be worth less than Magik #1? No, I am not.  I am saying New Mutants 14 is labeled incorrectly.

Edited by catch21

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

Most characters are showing up as their alter-ego first. So it's not going to be A list characters, but B and below, like Magik.

A list is not necessary as it was a blanket statement that could not be proven from the outset.

Oh, so you meant characters who later gain powers? That's a completely different thing than just a name.

2 hours ago, catch21 said:

Magik #1 should be labeled "1st appearance Illyana as Magik".   New Mutants 14 and Magik #1 cannot be the 1st appearance of Magik because the character, Illyana already appeared in Giant size X-men #1, X-men 160,161.Reference 1st Psylocke, 1st Mockingbird, 1st Red hood.

X-men 160 published August 1982 is labeled correctly "1st appearance Illyana as adult  (Magik)" is labeled correctly. However, the codename Magik is not created/published until over a year later.

Magik 1 should be  "1st appearance Illyana as Magik" because it is the first time the character tied to the name "Magik". In addition, Illyana is narrating the mini series as an adult explaining how she got her powers.

New Mutants 14 was published April 1984 continues after Magik #4 published March 1984.

New Mutants 14 also references readers to read the mini series on page 2.image.thumb.png.0d79e8727b476d5182e26c9761e512e4.png

Am I saying New Mutants 14 should be worth less than Magik #1? No, I am not.  I am saying New Mutants 14 is labeled incorrectly.

I agree with 99% of this except I don't like the idea of a 13 year old being referred to as an adult.

Giant Size X-Men #1 First appearance of Illyana (unnamed)

Uncanny X-Men #145 Illyana first named

Uncanny X-Men #160 Illyana aged to teenager

Magik #1 First Illyana as Magik

New Mutants #14 Magik Joins New Mutants

On 1/19/2020 at 7:35 PM, shiverbones said:

If marvel superheroes 13 counts, so does this

Yes, if we have bidders going as high as $31,111 for MSH 13 because it's the first appearance of Carol Danvers, even before she became Ms. Marvel, then this one here should definitely also count:

394252465_Capture1.PNG.ffb14745e36a903a6db18c3556ff6be4.PNG

820217686_Capture3.PNG.fdf88ad0da10a10f6c4a50b39cfc547f.PNG

As further proof of this, just take a look at the following link from Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magik_(Illyana_Rasputina)

Looks pretty conclusive to me. (thumbsu

1 hour ago, shiverbones said:

What about x-men 171 and her sword...

X-men 171 published July 1983 , she is just Illyana.  The code name Magik created for Illyana started in Magik #1 published December 1983; hence "1st appearance ILLyana as Magik".

59 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, if we have bidders going as high as $31,111 for MSH 13 because it's the first appearance of Carol Danvers, even before she became Ms. Marvel, then this one here should definitely also count:

394252465_Capture1.PNG.ffb14745e36a903a6db18c3556ff6be4.PNG

820217686_Capture3.PNG.fdf88ad0da10a10f6c4a50b39cfc547f.PNG

As further proof of this, just take a look at the following link from Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magik_(Illyana_Rasputina)

Looks pretty conclusive to me. (thumbsu

Baby Nathan at best . . . :bigsmile:

1 minute ago, catch21 said:

X-men 171 published July 1983 , she is just Illyana.  The code name Magik created for Illyana started in Magik #1 published December 1983; hence "1st appearance ILLyana as Magik".

Not really.

In Uncanny X-Men 160, Illyana (young child and sister of Colossus) was grabbed by Belasco as the X-Men were escaping Limbo. Kitty tried to keep a grasp on her as they returned to Earth and, a few panels later, pulled Magik (teenage mutant ninja demon sorceress) through the portal.

Does anybody know when is the first time Illyana is explicitly called Magik? The earliest thing I can find after a quick search is the pinup/bio in New Mutants 21, which (obviously) isn't even in a story.

Yeah, she appears in the Magik mini, and the story in which she joins the New Mutants is titled "Do You Believe in -- Magik?", but the actual character is never referred to as Magik. Also, note how the mini is titled: it has Storm and Illyana above the cover title and is officially titled Magik (Illyana and Storm Limited Series). I don't recall anything like that being done for any other characters who had their own limited series.

Yes she is referred

9 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Not really.

In Uncanny X-Men 160, Illyana (young child and sister of Colossus) was grabbed by Belasco as the X-Men were escaping Limbo. Kitty tried to keep a grasp on her as they returned to Earth and, a few panels later, pulled Magik (teenage mutant ninja demon sorceress) through the portal.

Does anybody know when is the first time Illyana is explicitly called Magik? The earliest thing I can find after a quick search is the pinup/bio in New Mutants 21, which (obviously) isn't even in a story.

Yeah, she appears in the Magik mini, and the story in which she joins the New Mutants is titled "Do You Believe in -- Magik?", but the actual character is never referred to as Magik. Also, note how the mini is titled: it has Storm and Illyana above the cover title and is officially titled Magik (Illyana and Storm Limited Series). I don't recall anything like that being done for any other characters who had their own limited series.

I did have it wrong. It should not be"1st appearance ILLyana as Magik".

Drewzer15 had it correct. 1st Illyana as Magik.