• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The different comic book ages and what they brought.
2 2

84 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, jools&jim said:

The mid/late-'80s had its high points, no doubt (Miller on DD; Byrne on FF; Simonson on Thor; Wolfman & Pérez on Teen Titans; Moore & Bissette on Swamp Thing; etc.).  But the general and trend-setting trajectory was downward: heroic optimism and goofy adventuring were replaced by grittier & ultra-violent "realism" (The Dark Knight Returns); deconstruction (Byrne's Superman; Giffen's Dr. Fate); dissolution (Claremont's convoluted and continuity-bloated X-Men); tortured and conflicted anti-heroes (Miller's Wolverine; Zeck's Punisher); and plenty of violence for its own sake.

Again, whether or not this worked for you if you were there (and I was) ain't the point.  The times the were a-changing...

I just don't get what you're basing it on except your personal taste (shrug)

1 minute ago, Logan510 said:

Let me ask you this-do you find the bronze age inferior to the copper age?

3 minutes ago, kav said:

Not a fan but I understand many like the stuff.  Perez art is always great but I found the stories juvenile.  The other stuff is gonna be a no from me.  

So you outgrew the stuff, that's fine.

I accept it for what it is and can enjoy that. A lot of people wanted their superheroes to grow up with them and that's why we have a generation that thinks that Dark Knight and Watchmen are the zenith of the genre.

I'm not one of those people.

3 minutes ago, kav said:

Let me ask you this-do you find the bronze age inferior to the copper age?

I find the ages discussion particularly silly in general, but I loved the 70's era of books.

Edited by Logan510

2 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

I find the ages discussion particularly silly in general, but I loved the 70's era of books.

Ok.  I was just thinking if the SA was better than the BA, and the BA was better than the CA, that would by default be a decline.

1 minute ago, kav said:

Ok.  I was just thinking if the SA was better than the BA, and the BA was better than the CA, that would by default be a decline.

I also don't subscribe to " the older stuff was better". Every generation thinks whatever they like best is better than anything that comes after and generally before 2c

2 hours ago, Logan510 said:

I agree about the silver age, hard to argue with DC bringing back superheroes and the dawn of the Marvel Age.

Youre flip flopping!

1 minute ago, Logan510 said:

Think of a number line: positive numbers are to the right, and negative numbers are to the left.

• Fun, light-hearted, romantic (in the old sense of the word), and optimistic stories wherein heroes are heroes and villains are villains, and which are also devoid of any moral ambiguity, were (once upon a time) decoded as POSITIVE portrayals of humanity's highest aspirations.

• Dark, brooding, angst-ridden, and gratuitously violent stories, wherein the heroes and villains are separated by the thinnest of lines (as in Film Noir), were (once upon a time) decoded as NEGATIVE portrayals of humanity at its worst.

Up versus Down is not a matter of taste; one's reaction to it is...

10 minutes ago, kav said:

Youre flip flopping!

How? I do agree that the silver age was one of the, if not the most fertile period in comics history.

My disagreement is saying that the Copper age can be distilled by something as trite as "decline".

8 minutes ago, jools&jim said:

Think of a number line: positive numbers are to the right, and negative numbers are to the left.

• Fun, light-hearted, romantic (in the old sense of the word), and optimistic stories wherein heroes are heroes and villains are villains, and which are also devoid of any moral ambiguity, were (once upon a time) decoded as POSITIVE portrayals of humanity's highest aspirations.

• Dark, brooding, angst-ridden, and gratuitously violent stories, wherein the heroes and villains are separated by the thinnest of lines (as in Film Noir), were (once upon a time) decoded as NEGATIVE portrayals of humanity at its worst.

Up versus Down is not a matter of taste; one's reaction to it is...

I do agree that the grim and gritty period was a bad turn for the comics industry, I don't define the entirety of copper age comics by that trend.

6 minutes ago, Senormac said:

I think the 60's was Kirby's FF and or Spiderman and Curt Swan Superman

The 70's was Conan and Neal Adams Batman and GL/GA

That's it...…  

were there other ages ??  :popcorn:

FTMFFY

Edited by kav

1 hour ago, kav said:

1 hour ago, Logan510 said:

I also don't subscribe to " the older stuff was better". Every generation thinks whatever they like best is better than anything that comes after and generally before 2c

I like the variety in subject matter, style and complexity as I select a mix of different material from several Ages at a time.

Keeps it interesting.

Edited by Ken Aldred