• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading and Ages

36 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Are there different grading criteria for ages?

For example a bronze 9.8 might not be a modern 9.8

Definitely.  GA gets a bit of a bump as well they should.  Type of paper is different, for one thing.

4 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

By providing the factual backup to the information you provided.

How do you know CGC doesn't grade differently between ages?

Vague/simple questions will receive simple answers. Most people don't have time to write essays to teach someone something that takes years of detailed assessment and trial/error to understand.

" Are there different grading criteria for ages? "

Pretty simple question, right? The simple answer will be "yes" or "no". The correct answer is "no".

No one, outside of CGC, knows how CGC grades. Anyone trying to accurately grade without bias will not 'adjust' for "Age".

Just now, theCapraAegagrus said:

No one, outside of CGC, knows how CGC grades. Anyone trying to accurately grade without bias will not 'adjust' for "Age".

But you provided an answer, your answer being "NO" and then you go on to say this. So you contradicted what you were saying. That being said, why provide an answer you really don't have an answer for?

If you had thousands of books graded throughout various ages, and similar grades were returned to you, but you could clearly see that the books were in different conditions, wouldn't that lead you to believe that there is different grading criteria? And wouldn't you have some formal education when it comes to grading.

I have only had about 20 books graded or slabbed, but I can see different conditions for books from different ages that received the same grade.

I'm not looking for a simple yes or no answer, I am asking you to elaborate.

3 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

But you provided an answer, your answer being "NO" and then you go on to say this. So you contradicted what you were saying. That being said, why provide an answer you really don't have an answer for?

If you had thousands of books graded throughout various ages, and similar grades were returned to you, but you could clearly see that the books were in different conditions, wouldn't that lead you to believe that there is different grading criteria? And wouldn't you have some formal education when it comes to grading.

I have only had about 20 books graded or slabbed, but I can see different conditions for books from different ages that received the same grade.

I'm not looking for a simple yes or no answer, I am asking you to elaborate.

Excuse you...? CGC is not the only group of people who grade comic books. They are a very small minority of graders in the comic book business. I gave you the answer. You did not say anything about "CGC" in the OP.

You asked a simple question and I provided a simple answer. Please don't act like you requested some elaborate post within the OP - because you didn't. It's fine to ask afterwards, but don't be aggressive as though we're expecting to expound tons of information, when the request was not that detailed.

There is no "formal education" when it comes to grading, FYI. It's a subjective art. CGC is not the authority, either. They happen to be a well-respected organization who authenticates comic books and assesses their opinion of their perceived condition.

Graders without bias do not discriminate Golden Age vs Modern Age. That is the answer.

Just now, FiveForFighting said:

The correct answer is yes. Steve Borock himself, in an interview with Iron Maniac, came right out and said yes GA is graded differently then MA.

Steve Borock is 1 person - who works for Voldemort.

He is not the authority on grading, either.

A general rule for any unbiased grader would be not to discriminate for/against ages. Otherwise, you'd be 'doing it wrong', if there were such a thing...

I have heard, read and seen people bring up examples that there is some leniencies given to older books... so @Hollywood1892 I would say there can be some leniency given to older books in their subjective grades in comparison to a "modern" book... you might have to do some researching and dig into the forums as I remember reading some really good threads about this issue with the older members on the forum. As this question was asked before, so your not the first.

4 hours ago, FiveForFighting said:

This was during the first 8 years when Borock was president of CGC.

As has been mentioned here before, when CGC was first starting out, Golden Age books were given a bit more leeway than Silver, Bronze or Modern. Please bear in mind that Golden Age collectors (Steve Borock being one) often have a better grasp of how to grade Golden Age books because they've seen so many copies of different Golden Age books. Not only that, they've seen many of the best copies that exist of those books, so they have an established template of what range a given copy will fall into...

So my answer to the original question would be that it depends on the grader...

Grading has always perplexed me. I have read every single comic I have ever owned and I like the stories, especially the complexities in the Spawn Character. I really enjoyed the Dark Phoenix saga, but in this case I have to agree completely with @theCapraAegagrus I can't see them showing favor to particular eras of books, despite the evidence that might suggest otherwise, it would definitely hamper a grading companies integrity.

Edited by BaronSamedi