• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulu's MODOK animated series (TBD)
1 1

56 posts in this topic

On 5/7/2021 at 4:19 PM, Bosco685 said:

hm

it is weird because stiltman actually battles spiderman in the "Bar with no name" and his funeral was there in one of the comics, so he's actually connected to it

Edited by the blob

3 minutes ago, the blob said:

it is weird because stiltman actually battles spiderman in the "Bar with no name" and his funeral was there in one of the comics, so he's actually connected to it

My Hulu account via Sprint is being setup. So waiting to see this show.

Just now, Bosco685 said:

My Hulu account via Sprint is being setup. So waiting to see this show.

I watch a few things there. I have "cheap" hulu as part of a bundle with disney+, so the commercials are a little annoying. I thought Son of Satan was interesting, although maybe you don't want to invest in a 10 (12?) episode show that was cancelled. I guess the Constantine show suffered a similar short fate, but DC has made sure to bring him back from time to time (even using the same actor), it would be dumb to let the character die on the vine.

On 5/8/2021 at 3:46 PM, Bosco685 said:

They are two very strange characters for Disney Legal to be concerned with their use.

That would be like when James Gunn mentioned WB/DC said he could pick any characters to appear in Suicide Squad, and he noted WB Legal said Ambush Bug was off limits. You'd have to wonder when the movie or two show appearance is happening.

WB/DC might have something planned for Ambush Bug outside of what Gunn might do with the character.  For all we know there might have been talks of having a kids show featuring the character. 

I looked up the PPP and Stilt-man issue and found this article: MODOK: Stilt-Man One of Only Characters Marvel Wouldn't Let Hulu Series Use

At the time of development there was a rights issue with PPP and Stiltman.  Also, the Fox-Disney acquisition had not occurred at that point either.   I would venture to guess that Stilt-man was still tied up with the Netflix Daredevil rights in some way shape or form.  PPP might have been an FF character that they might not have wanted to demonstrate usage of as he might have been attributed to the Fantastic Four deal on the Fox side of things. 

My friend added gave me his Hulu login as I do not have Hulu under the Disney+ bundle. 

I gave it a try and watched a few episodes finding myself waiting to laugh.  Can I sit through it?  Sure.  Did I think it was 'funny'.  I remember twice "hmpf chuckling" and that was about it.  

Twasn't my thing. 

On 5/7/2021 at 7:00 PM, Callaway29 said:

Why would paste pot pete have rights issues? Is that not squarely in Marvel's portfolio?

Right? Wasn’t Paste Pot Pete’s first appearance Strange Tales 110?

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Uh...mmmmm

Strange_Tales_Vol_1_104.jpg.9612b7d188e5c76b4d933c3b7717219b.jpg

Did I do that right?

:baiting:

Fair. I don’t collect & haven’t read Strange Tales before 110.

But it still proves the point - he’s not a Fox character the way say...Kang arguably was (via Rama Tut).

Rather, it’s likely they wanted to preserve the character because they have bigger plans for The Trapster in the MCU.

2 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Fair. I don’t collect & haven’t read Strange Tales before 110.

But it still proves the point - he’s not a Fox character the way say...Kang arguably was (via Rama Tut).

Rather, it’s likely they wanted to preserve the character because they have bigger plans for The Trapster in the MCU.

It's okay. You probably had the 1st appearance of Doctor Strange on your mind. 

:banana:

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

It's okay. You probably had the 1st appearance of Doctor Strange on your mind. 

:banana:

Nah - it’s because I was misremembering the CGC label.

I used to own a few copies of Strange Tales 110 - the label notes “1st Paste Pot Pete and Wizard team-up.”

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

Nah - it’s because I was misremembering the CGC label.

I used to own a few copies of Strange Tales 110 - the label notes “1st Paste Pot Pete and Wizard team-up.”

Good lesson-learned about doing your own research versus CGC spoon-feeding information to collectors.

Like Hellboy, The Goon and other characters having 1st appearance labels changed more than once.

:applause:

Ended up with Hulu for free due to my mobile plan.

First episode has some funny scenes spread throughout. A megalomaniac that is so self-absorbed, he is clueless about the basics of life.

The little legs just hanging there swinging around is a nice touch.

:roflmao:

10 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Ended up with Hulu for free due to my mobile plan.

First episode has some funny scenes spread throughout. A megalomaniac that is so self-absorbed, he is clueless about the basics of life.

The little legs just hanging there swinging around is a nice touch.

:roflmao:

I am through episode 4. Episode 2 makes you feel for MODOK, briefly. Episode 4 has some insane stuff with the Mandrill. I am watcdhing with wifey and would be done if it was just me alone but she has less appetite for it. We go from MODOK to Frank & Gracie!

15 minutes ago, Bird said:

I am through episode 4. Episode 2 makes you feel for MODOK, briefly. Episode 4 has some insane stuff with the Mandrill. I am watcdhing with wifey and would be done if it was just me alone but she has less appetite for it. We go from MODOK to Frank & Gracie!

Episode 2 when he is trying to avoid divorce by offering to scream his wife's name out instead of his own during sex...

:insane:

On 5/13/2022 at 10:27 AM, Bosco685 said:

Too bad. Modok and Hit Monkey were both very good and it filled a niche that Disney Plus doesn't. I would be ok with this if they bring over live action Hit Monkey and Modok, but doesn't seem likely.