• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

heritage auction, did anybody win anything they were after?

124 posts in this topic

Forget about the guide when it comes to Heritage bid wins, especially high grade anything. On top of the 15% and/or high reserves you are guaranteed a quality book but at what cost? Their marketing I guess has everything to do with receiving these prices for their customers despite the 15% juice from the sellers end. I didn't win any books however I was curious to see the final bid on the Detective # 135 9.4. This popular Frankenstein cover fetched a whopping $3,593.00 including the commission. The CGC cencus has this top ranked with my 8.0 in second place. Would it be wishful thinking that double guide for the 8.0 [ $ 494.00 ] would receive any interest? file0175.jpg[/img]

Sweet book, and a book I've wanted for awhile. It doesn't pop up for sale very often, and when it does, it always goes for a lot more than I would be able to pay. I guess I'll have to hold out for a low grade copy.

Interesting. The Mile High 9.4 Brenda Starr #14 book sold for over $17,000 (with the premium). This is a 70% increase over the last time it sold on Heritage 4 years ago for a little over $10,000. However, it seems like the seller probably only made $2,000 due Heritage's fees. Is the book only worth that much if sold in a Heritage Auction? Otherwise, why wouldn't the seller try Comiclink or Ebay first for the much lesser fees?

And if the seller was a part owner in Heritage, would it make much sense for him to use Comiclink or Ebay?

I hadn't paid attention to the book when I saw the reserve was 10k, which I still think is way too much to pay for the book. There was a very high price for Startling 49 last auction, so maybe we have a couple good girl collectors competing with each other. Absent the two top players, I suspect the market price on that book is much closer to 8-10k. I do love the cover on the book, but there are many more GGA covers of similar or better quality that don't command that type of price.

Also, don't let the 15% premium freak you out. Just factor it into your bidding price from the start. Here's a trick that most sophisticated buyers use: they take their target maximum price and divide by 1.15, and the resulting price is what they actually enter as the bid amount.

this 'sophisticated' buyer multiples what he's willing to pay by .875 to get his bid price.

You need some more sophistocatin'. You should multiply by 0.869. tongue.gif

Aint you never larned algebra?

thumbsup2.gif