• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What causes a book to get GLOD?
1 1

66 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Qualified labels aren't usually killers, though - mostly using in-demand books as a reference. People don't really 'look down' upon them.

Are there any missing chunks that don't affect story on the interior?

I don't know about that I am starting to see a trend in that people want a 10% discount for the green label.. they are starting to stay away or just assume green is bad.. even if it was just for a unwitnessed signature where someone wanted 15% off as the signature was unwitnessed so it hurt the value instead of increasing it the dude argued... I mean it should at least go for a blue label price since its just a signature but people are scared and want just blue or yellow labels.

Pro tip do cgc SS if possible lol if your ever going to sell your books. Otherwise don't sign them at all...

4 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

I don't know about that I am starting to see a trend in that people want a 10% discount for the green label.. they are starting to stay away or just assume green is bad.. even if it was just for a unwitnessed signature where someone wanted 15% off as the signature was unwitnessed so it hurt the value instead of increasing it the dude argued... I mean it should at least go for a blue label price since its just a signature but people are scared and want just blue or yellow labels.

Pro tip do cgc SS if possible lol if your ever going to sell your books. Otherwise don't sign them at all...

Welp. People are insufficiently_thoughtful_persons.

6 minutes ago, FiveForFighting said:

If it's a unverified signature on the cover then yes I think it should decrease the value.

I believe it was a J scott Campbell one and guy had the COA with it so I mean I think it should at least get near the blue label price obviously not the CGC SS price but at least near blue label price, the dude wanted 15% less than blue claiming its damage to the comic since its a "unwitnessed" signature... which means the grade is lower hence qualified so he doesn't want to pay 9.8 price and rather pay 9.2 prices there was quite a bit of back and forth.... 

think I used this one on that post lol.. 

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, FiveForFighting said:

If it's a unverified signature on the cover then yes I think it should decrease the value.

Agreed....and I don't think this is hard to get your head around.  No one wants a book -- especially a key -- with some random dude's name scrawled across the front.  Likewise, most people don't want a book with a chunk missing from the inside, or at least want to know that a chunk is missing when they make the consideration to buy.

In my case, I'm feeling like a bit of a for missing the fact that something was missing from the book....

26 minutes ago, RonS2112 said:

Agreed....and I don't think this is hard to get your head around.  No one wants a book -- especially a key -- with some random dude's name scrawled across the front.  Likewise, most people don't want a book with a chunk missing from the inside, or at least want to know that a chunk is missing when they make the consideration to buy.

In my case, I'm feeling like a bit of a for missing the fact that something was missing from the book....

yeah but what about the scenario I mentioned where its a popular artist and it has a COA with it does that make the situation different? 

19 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

yeah but what about the scenario I mentioned where its a popular artist and it has a COA with it does that make the situation different? 

If it has a COA, I'm not sure why it would get a GLOD in the first place.  But yes, I think that would be a different situation.

1 hour ago, RonS2112 said:

If it has a COA, I'm not sure why it would get a GLOD in the first place.  But yes, I think that would be a different situation.

Anyone can make up a COA to say a signature is "authentic" there is no way to validate it or the signature. Since it was unwitnessed by cgc it would get a green label.

9 hours ago, Avi said:

Anyone can make up a COA to say a signature is "authentic" there is no way to validate it or the signature. Since it was unwitnessed by cgc it would get a green label.

That’s surprising to learn....so every yellow CGC label I see, the signing was witnessed?

21 hours ago, FiveForFighting said:
21 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Qualified labels aren't usually killers, though - mostly using in-demand books as a reference. People don't really 'look down' upon them.

I completely disagree with this. 

Plenty of people look down on GLODs

5 hours ago, RonS2112 said:

That’s surprising to learn....so every yellow CGC label I see, the signing was witnessed?

Yes. Did you send in a signed book with a COA, that would explain the green label. (I refuse to use the acronym)

Just now, Avi said:

Yes. Did you send in a signed book with a COA, that would explain the green label. (I refuse to use the acronym)

Uhhhh......no.  I explained what happened in the initial post.  I don't deal with signed books.

16 hours ago, RonS2112 said:

CGC does not accept COA they only do witness signatures through their SS program... other guys voldey does signature confirmation with a red label.. but even then it has its issues... which is for another topic and another forum.

so unless its a witness signature with their CGC SS reps it gets a GLOD! 

1 hour ago, Jeffro. said:
22 hours ago, FiveForFighting said:
22 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I completely disagree with this. 

Plenty of people look down on GLODs

Yup. Whether PLOD or GLOD and even if a big key, value takes a hit. They are simply not as desirable and are considered second rate. In fact, if choosing between a GLOD with missing pages or cutouts and a PLOD that's complete, I'd go for the PLOD.

but the issue I raised before as Jeffro. raised before is that many look down on Green label books and want even less than blue label market prices by quite a bit. This could be compounded because its a qualified grade which means if they ignore this one defect which is noted on the label the book would be grade 9.0 but if they dont ignore this one defect the book could be 8.0 or much lower.. 

examples... MVS missing, coupon cut out doesn't affect story or affects story, etc... (this should get less than blue) 

compared to J Scott Campbell signing a book and giving his COA with it. 

should the signature with COA get a good portion less than a blue label when that person would have invested more than the blue label book cost, such as paying artist signing fee and fee for COA.. and to get less than the blue..i dunno.. highly debatable issue... I guess.

There has always been a stigma attached to comics that are restored and/or are incomplete. In the eyes of many those books are less desirable and sell for less. It is what it is, not saying it's right or wrong

22 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

There has always been a stigma attached to comics that are restored and/or are incomplete. In the eyes of many those books are less desirable and sell for less. It is what it is, not saying it's right or wrong

It makes sense though.  A green label says, "there's a big flaw with this book OVER AND ABOVE the flaws that contribute to the grade we've arrived at."  So I wouldn't expect the green label to command the same price as a blue label with he same grade.  Now, if that the only way I could afford an FF#1, then great -- I'd welcome it into the collection.  But again, I'd expect to pay less if the green label was because that FF#1 was missing a page.

Edited by RonS2112