• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage - Insane Prices?

10 posts in this topic

Figured I would start a post.

Show a book that just sold in Heritage's Auction at a price that seems insane!!! insane.gif

My pick

Iron-Man

I realize that it is the one an only 9.8, but it's yellow somewhat (like a lot of later PC copies). And 36X the NM- (Ouch). The seller must be happy.

For those that aren't registered on Heritage, it went for $2,530.00

How about the "NM+ 9.6" Spidey # 1 for $97,750...who says people don't buy the label anymore? BTW, does that vertical line directly left of the face on the back cover, and extending into the white area beyond the ad itself, look like a light crease? No matter, the multiple spine ticks and corner crease on the front all but assure its the weakest certified 9.6 SA key to date.

ASM CGC 9.6

How about the "NM+ 9.6" Spidey # 1 for $97,750...who says people don't buy the label anymore? BTW, does that vertical line directly left of the face on the back cover, and extending into the white area beyond the ad itself, look like a light crease? No matter, the multiple spine ticks and corner crease on the front all but assure its the weakest certified 9.6 SA key to date.

ASM CGC 9.6

certainly the reknown Heritage huge scans puts all books in a somewhat defensive position. but there do appear to be multiple tiny spine nicks on the BC and most of the corners are a bit soft. i'm guessing that is a very light crease on the LRC FC and not sure what to make of that "line" you point out on the BC.

if this was one of my recent DC's - MAYBE as high as a 9.2............... devil.gif

if this was one of my recent DC's - MAYBE as high as a 9.2...............

I agree, it is a nice 9.2....9.4? No, I'd have to see sharper corners and a bit fewer spine ticks to give it a 9.4. Also, the slight overhang on the top FC center is a real detraction for this grade level.

As for 9.6? Right. 27_laughing.gif

Sorry Steve, normally you and I are on the same page. But I can't see how anyone can honestly defend the grade assigned to this book. Not when you have three graders who are supposed to independently evaluate and assign grades.

It just isn't a 9.6. Too many minor flaws all around.

Looks pretty nice to me. Heritage's scans really blow up the smallest flaws, that probably would be tough to see with the naked eye.

But isn't that what CGC is famous for, finding small flaws that may not be easily evident with the naked eye? Why let this comic off the hook?

I agree, it is a nice 9.2....9.4? No, I'd have to see sharper corners and a bit fewer spine ticks to give it a 9.4. Also, the slight overhang on the top FC center is a real detraction for this grade level.

As for 9.6? Right.

Sorry Steve, normally you and I are on the same page. But I can't see how anyone can honestly defend the grade assigned to this book. Not when you have three graders who are supposed to independently evaluate and assign grades.

It just isn't a 9.6. Too many minor flaws all around.

I'm not saying that it's a easy 9.6'.

That said, some of the spine ticks on the back cover, are not stess related. The biggest one right in the middle of the black line, is the way the book was printed. And if we looked carefully, I would guess that a few more are printing defects as oppose to stress. Plus, I'm not sure ANY of the spine creases on front cover break ANY color. Even the super small corner crease barely seems to break color.

In addition, any bending but non-coloring breaking crease on the overhang is not considered a defect in this grade range.

As someone who has seen tons of SA 9.6's in person, I can say, almost all of them show some flaws that would make ME, at least consider not giving the book a 9.6's.

Would I be a little dissappointed if I got this as a 9.6, probably, but I would be very happy to get it as a 9.4.

The wear/stress marks around the bottom staple are very pronounced. Add the crease on the bottom right corner along with the obvious wear near the Torch's back, and this book can't be better than a 9.2.

I think the graders fell in love with the top of the spine. That's one mighty fine corner!