• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Color breaking spine stress
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I've had a look at a few threads on this issue some 5-15 years old but there never seemed to be a difinitive answer to it, hopefully that's changed over the years.

Like a Bindery tear, are color break stress marks on comics counted as a production flaw? The issue seems to happen more on darker covers but it's obvious that it's occuring when the comic is folded during the creation process when they arrive at the LCS like this. I've noticed it more prominently when the front and back cover are the same color .

Example of what I mean.

TpJ7aYg.jpg

3 hours ago, IbukiLord said:

I've had a look at a few threads on this issue some 5-15 years old but there never seemed to be a difinitive answer to it, hopefully that's changed over the years.

Like a Bindery tear, are color break stress marks on comics counted as a production flaw? The issue seems to happen more on darker covers but it's obvious that it's occuring when the comic is folded during the creation process when they arrive at the LCS like this. I've noticed it more prominently when the front and back cover are the same color .

Example of what I mean.

TpJ7aYg.jpg

This is just the outside edge of the spine, correct?

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

This is just the outside edge of the spine, correct?

Yup, right along the spine where the book is folded. No spine ticks or creases, just where the book was folded to create the middle between the front and back cover.

2 minutes ago, IbukiLord said:

Yup, right along the spine where the book is folded. No spine ticks or creases, just where the book was folded to create the middle between the front and back cover.

My understanding (and practice) is that they are manufacturing defects. Being that they are defects, it would exclude the comic from 9.9-10 range, but allow up to 9.8 in grade.

42 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

My understanding (and practice) is that they are manufacturing defects. Being that they are defects, it would exclude the comic from 9.9-10 range, but allow up to 9.8 in grade.

Yeah thanks, this is what I assumed as well from the other topics however there were people that said they submitted books like this and got lower than 9 grades, sadly no pictures were posted so can't see if other defects were present.

I'll be sending the book in anyway as I want it in a nice CGC case, so will see what happens.