• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Initials on cover question.

7 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I need some help on a book I found, it’s a great copy but the back cover has some huge initials on it, if I was to send this into cgc how much would this effect the grade and because of this woulsnt I get a green label? Also how much would a green label effect the value? 

I feel like this is around an 8-9 without the initials. 

thanks!

D9B401E5-04B8-463A-8010-9F714C8FC7C3.png

Edited by hachimaull

Without seeing the whole book it's tough to say, but if that ink bleeds through the cover, it will definitely affect the grade even more. My guess here is that the writing would be factored into the overall grade. I've seen books in VF or better with writing like this end up in the Fine range...

13 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

Without seeing the whole book it's tough to say, but if that ink bleeds through the cover, it will definitely affect the grade even more. My guess here is that the writing would be factored into the overall grade. I've seen books in VF or better with writing like this end up in the Fine range...

Thanks for your feedback, I don’t think seeing the whole book is relevant in this situation. Let’s just say We r at an 8.0 and now r deducting points based on these initials. 

So What ur saying is this could effect the grade by 2 points and make it a 6.0? Not sure if it bleeds through but that’s a solid point I should bring up if I go further on this book. I just wanted to see what people thought about initials on a book like this and how it would effect it’s value/grade first. 

Could this also not effect the grade IF it was a qualified label as well to stay an 8.0??

Agree with Lion; :)
--It would definitely be helpful to see the whole book. We may catch something that you don't?
--In broad strokes, dropping a VF to Fine (give or take) feels about right.

If you are looking to have the book submitted, in strict value terms a blue 6.0 is probably preferable to a green 8.0. Seems weird to have it qualified for a straight defect like this.

4 minutes ago, Point Five said:

Agree with Lion; :)
--It would definitely be helpful to see the whole book. We may catch something that you don't?
--In broad strokes, dropping a VF to Fine (give or take) feels about right.

If you are looking to have the book submitted, in strict value terms a blue 6.0 is probably preferable to a green 8.0. Seems weird to have it qualified for a straight defect like this.

gotcha, yeah I know a green label really cuts the value of a book in half. same with purple labels. So considering I’d like to get this book signed, regardless of condition I should probably pass on this book to find a book without a major defect like this. 

thanks for the help guys! I was really wondering what the communities experience was on a problem like this and I think I got the information I was looking for.  

21 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

Same