• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What I’ve noticed on Facebook groups, a stock cover gets more likes than a CGC graded 9.8 cover.. Why is that?
3 3

69 posts in this topic

FB comic groups are full of who couldn't tell a DC from a Marvel. How many times a day does someone post the old "I'm looking for a good deal on this key book"? In other words can someone just give away one of their valuable comics so that I may have one. I left every single FB group. Too irritating. 

I can shed some light on what posts I will give a "Like" to.

I am a member of six comic book groups on Facebook, however I am not a CGC fan, this does not mean I think you are wrong or CGC is not needed, it only means that I prefer to be able to touch/smell/read my books so when someone posts a CGC graded book regardless of what it is I scroll right past it, depending on the group(s) you belong to there are a lot of folks that feel the same way.

I react with "Like/Love" to "Raw" books/covers/panels/pages/ads that I grew up with in the 60's or newer (70's/80's/90's books) that may have a special meaning to me and I prefer low grade readers over high grade issues (I would rather see an Early Silver Age Book in Lower Grade (Well Loved, Coverless/Remaindered Copy PR 0.5 - VG 4.0) than in NM 9.0 or higher only because when I was a ten year old in 65 it was not about money or grade, it was about reading/collecting and sharing with your friends.

I am sure there are groups on Facebook just for High Grade and CGC Comic Book Collectors if that is what you own/collect and would like to share and get positive responses from.

For the record, I do not have FB and don't ever plan to. My wife and some of my friends have asked me to join numerous times to join, but I just can't be bothered.

One of my wife's friends actually asked her one time "Why didn't you "like" any of my photos from my trip?" My wife had spoken to her on the phone, so she didn't think it was necessary to "like" the photos on FB. Apparently she was wrong. I started laughing when I heard that. I guess I just don't get the FB culture.

Edited by an99

29 minutes ago, an99 said:

For the record, I do not have FB and don't ever plan to. My wife and some of my friends have asked me to join numerous times to join, but I just can't be bothered.

One of my wife's friends actually asked her one time "Why didn't you "like" any of my photos from my trip?" My wife had spoken to her on the phone, so she didn't think it was necessary to "like" the photos on FB. Apparently she was wrong. I started laughing when I heard that. I guess I just don't get the FB culture.

As a facebook user I have to say that reaction is highly unusual-in fact I've never come across it in all my years on facebook.

28 minutes ago, an99 said:

You and millions of other users. I know so many people that complain over having to police their daily feed from their "friends" be es. It used to be a way to connect with your old friends from school now it's just a place where people fight over stupid stuff. Deleted my account for the 3rd and final time.

33 minutes ago, kav said:

As a facebook user I have to say that reaction is highly unusual-in fact I've never come across it in all my years on facebook.

Her friend needs constant validation ... so maybe that's it? Shrug ...

36 minutes ago, an99 said:

Her friend needs constant validation ... so maybe that's it? Shrug ...

sounds like it.  lol.
In a similar vein my brother emailed me once-he said i have been texting you like crazy why havent you responded?  I said you've been texting the wall phone in my kitchen?  

Edited by kav

10 minutes ago, kav said:

sounds like it.  lol.
In a similar vein my brother emailed me once-he said i have been texting you like crazy why havent you responded?  I said you've been texting the wall phone in my kitchen?  

wait who still has a wall phone in their kitchen.... I hope its cordless at the very least lol 

1 hour ago, an99 said:

that's too funny.. and sad at the same time where you have to show the validation on a Social media site...with having your friends like your post even if you already discussed it with them or shown them etc... 

4 hours ago, Krismusic said:

giphy.gif

come on guys I need more likes.. please.. I'll send you a free raffle prize when I get 1 gagillion likes, I will raffle away 1 drek book in the year 1 gagillion…. please like we are so close.. :roflmao:

5 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

If you are collecting comics and sharing pictures for the likes, you are collecting comics for the wrong reasons.

When I post on IG, I do it to share. If I get a like, great. If I get zero likes, I don't care. I am still gonna post what I buy. People can follow me and look at my stuff...or not. I just do it to contribute and be part of a community. Just like on here. I post to learn, to speak my mind, to share opinions, to congratulate cool finds, to see cool stuff. If someone likes what I write, great. Thank you for doing that. If not, I am still gonna write. 

Again, if you are upset that @supercomicmastercollector69 got 100 thumbs up on his post and you only got 4, you are internetting wrong. 

Who is to judge what a "wrong reason" is? The only wrong reason I can think of is to use the comics to lure children into your windowless van.

7 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

If you are collecting comics and sharing pictures for the likes, you are collecting comics for the wrong reasons.

When I post on IG, I do it to share. If I get a like, great. If I get zero likes, I don't care. I am still gonna post what I buy. People can follow me and look at my stuff...or not. I just do it to contribute and be part of a community. Just like on here. I post to learn, to speak my mind, to share opinions, to congratulate cool finds, to see cool stuff. If someone likes what I write, great. Thank you for doing that. If not, I am still gonna write. 

Again, if you are upset that @supercomicmastercollector69 got 100 thumbs up on his post and you only got 4, you are internetting wrong. 

It wasn’t really about likes, or dislikes @comicginger1789  - not even about my books for the most part. ( Heck, nobody likes my comics except for me (thumbsu

Anyway just seeing CGC books graded, and the process not being understood by many, and think they are just cased up. Then posting a “flawless” or stock image of “their” copy. 
As I stated earlier, and agreed with @MGsimba77 a couple posts in. I’ve been in the high grade or bust game for awhile now, and think I was just shocked at the lack of grading skills out there on some sites.

Thanks to his post I remembered the times when owning a copy of a book you wanted, and grade didn’t matter— It was amazing. Good times, sometimes miss not caring about grades. :cloud9:

I was being a grumpy grader guy, and needed a Snickers. :preach:😆 

Edited by nepatkm
English