• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with "pressing" issues?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

you are going to have to do a bit of research to know and build the experience of what is a pressable defect. 

to help bends that do no break colour is one press able defect. waviness is another some folds or creases that do not break colour 

there is a link the CGC, CCS site that helps explain it better. 

https://www.cgccomics.com/ccs-pressing/

2 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

CCS has a pre-screen, too, IIRC.

its quite expensive... I am submitting some books and I stopped my checkout cause it adds up on 10 book shipments better to do large shipments for Canadians to save on costs..Now I am like hmmm do I really need a press yeah duck it lets press it and see what happens.. remove that pre screen... USD > CDN loonies.. saves me a bit of money

On 1/28/2020 at 12:47 PM, Rebecca Peery said:

How do you know if pressing is going to help your book?  Is there a list of issues of examples that pressing helps with? or alleviates?

Inspect your pressing candidates carefully. Make a note of any flaws that break color, such as corner creases or edge wear; pressing won't remove those flaws. Check the staples to make sure they're tight and strong---pressing can pop a weak staple. Check to make sure the book doesn't have tan or brittle pages or covers---the spine could split and brittle paper could flake off.  Ask yourself what grade the book would be if you removed the non color breaking flaws from the cover. Deep indentations may still show up even after pressing.

Basically, you're applying heat and pressure to the book, which tends to flatten it out. Select strong candidates, not books that may be damaged during the pressing process. Choose carefully and the results should be rewarding...

That's actually one of the less hard questions since there are definite defects that pressing helps with and they are:

Bends that do not break color are ideal for removal with pressing. In most cases the bends can be greatly improved, if not eliminated completely.

Writing indents are caused by writing on a piece of paper that was laid on top of the comic. In most cases, these indents can be greatly improved, if not eliminated completely.

Overhang bends. Common on many Silver and Bronze Age comics, the bend comes from the cover paper being slightly larger than the interior pages. In most cases, these bends can be greatly improved, if not eliminated completely.

Rippling is usually caused by moisture, either during production of the comic, improper storage, or even high levels of humidity where the comic was stored. In most cases these ripples can be greatly improved, if not eliminated completely. Often there will be light humidity stains present with rippling, which cannot be removed with pressing.

Spine roll is the misalignment, or shifting, of the spine to either the front or back of the comic. Spine roll repair is an invasive process and is not performed on a comic that has a fragile spine. In most cases, spine roll can be greatly improved, if not eliminated completely.

And here is what you can't improve upon: Colour break, tears, staining from liquids. 

there's videos, there's articles, there's experts to pay, get in there and enjoy the ride