• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Universal's FAST AND FURIOUS 9 (2020)

60 posts in this topic

Just got back from seeing this movie(first one since 1/20/2020).

I give it a 6 out of 10. At this point in the franchise, there are just too many players.

The plotting is slow at times. There is a lot of backstory, and a good many twists

along the way. The finale 20 minutes is  where you get your monies worth.

Good popcorn movie that  (literally) takes you for a ride.

Don't know if I will see it in the theater but I will definitely be seeing it eventually. 

Meanwhile... 

Supposedly the word is used seven times in the latest installment. 

582a111517d556b7ee9213e07ca13070.jpg

Edited by Buzzetta

“F9” has the box office in overdrive. The ninth installment in Universal’s action-packed “Fast and Furious” franchise has surpassed $500 million in global ticket sales, solidifying its place as Hollywood’s biggest theatrical hit of the pandemic era.

Other than “Hi, Mom” ($822 million) and “Detective Chinatown 3” ($686 million), which were both produced in China, “F9” is the only movie to cross the $500 million milestone since 2019. “Godzilla vs. Kong,” the Warner Bros. tentpole that was released in April, came the closest to reaching the half-a-billion-dollar mark, but revenues for the monster mashup have stalled at $446 million globally. That’s still a strong result considering “Godzilla vs. Kong” opened simultaneously in the U.S. on HBO Max.

Just got out of this one with the family and it was basically a comedy.  The acting is not meant to be great but it was just terrible.  The space scene was just mind blowingly bad but I guess I’ll give it a C- since I stayed awake.

One pandemic event movie from which Johnson is conspicuously absent is Universal’s F9: The Fast Saga, which has grossed $591.3 million since it opened in China in May. Johnson starred in the previous three films in the series, as well as the 2019 spinoff, Hobbs & Shaw, but is not scheduled to appear in any future Fast films. In a June Men’s Health interview promoting the latest movie, Vin Diesel implied that a much-publicized feud between him and Johnson actually was a technique he deployed to elicit a better acting performance from the former pro wrestler. “I could give a lot of tough love,” Diesel said. “Not Felliniesque, but I would do anything I’d have to do in order to get performances in anything I’m producing.”

When asked about Diesel’s comments, Johnson says, “I laughed and I laughed hard. I think everyone had a laugh at that. And I’ll leave it at that. And that I’ve wished them well. I wish them well on Fast 9. And I wish them the best of luck on Fast 10 and Fast 11 and the rest of the Fast & Furious movies they do that will be without me.” Blunt can’t resist extending the moment. “Just thank God he was there,” she says of Diesel. “Thank God. He carried you through that.” “Felliniesque,” Johnson says.

It was ... a filler movie as far as I am concerned. 

Han comes back and we get a little bit of a reason why.  The end tag was more important than the majority of the movie.

I felt that Cena was introduced so Dwayne Johnson is no longer needed. 

Fast Five is still the best in the series.

But again... I felt it was a filler movie to get us to the end for the final two(?) movies.

Maybe... Green Knight next... maybe.

Edited by Buzzetta

Someone gave me a free code for the full Fast 9 Saga. With that, I gave 7, 8 and 9 a go as I wanted to see at least the latter films and where this was going.

Honestly, I actually thought they were good. And with 9 having Michelle Rodgrigez ( <3 ), John Cena, Charlize Theron, Helen Mirren and more I just wanted to see how it all came together. And it turns into nutty fun. Especially the car launched into outer space. Which was purposely silly to demonstrate they would go to extremes. And in the credits scene you have Jason Stratham confronted by his victim which will lead into Fast X.

Even without Dwayne Johnson (he added some decent scenes), I see some of what attracts people to these films. Though not high on my watch list.