• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please grade my Strange Tales 107

13 posts in this topic

Contemplating my next CGC submission, and this is one of the questionable candidates. No huge flaws, but a significant number of lesser ones, so I'm curious how everyone would add them up. Both the top and bottom spine corners are worn away, leaving 1/8" fuzzes. Front: the spine has a half-dozen indents, a couple of which lightly break color. There is also a non-color breaking 1" impact crease running into the text circle (visible under the words "big one") - this goes through the entire book, and is visible on the back cover as well. The right edge has one tiny chip. There is a light color-breaking crease running from the top edge into the letter R. Back: bottom spine corner has a 1/4" impact. LLC is rounded. Covers are clean with terrific colors, and PQ is exceptional.

Worth sending in?

ST107front.jpg

ST107back.jpg

Comic does have an overall nice eye appeal. I'd say CGC is going to beat you up on those corners and impact dents though. I don't think you'll get to the 5 level. I'd say you should get a 4.0 maybe a 4.5. Hence I'd hesitate to get it graded, as that already knocks $29 of the profit margin. tonofbricks.gif

5.5 - with really nice eye-appeal. I don't know what the price differences are on mid-grade raw and slabbed SA Marvels of this type - but there is a chance that CGC could be tough on it, and the book gets hidden by a slab that doesn't do it justice in regard to how good it looks. My guess is that most mid-grade collectors are more concerned with eye-appeal than with technical grade when buying.

6.0 and for sale perhaps? I recently picked up a raw 8.0 but when I inspected it it had two inches tears on each staple at the centerfold. Received a full refund but I'm still choked. frown.gif

I would have kept that puppy! sumo.gif

6.0 and for sale perhaps? I recently picked up a raw 8.0 but when I inspected it it had two inches tears on each staple at the centerfold. Received a full refund but I'm still choked. frown.gif

I was going to rush it off to CGC for slabbing (maybe a press first shy.gif) and would have kept it because I think I really think I picked it up for a good price. Still that's too much cash for a book that would have got nailed if graded. The tears were just too big. frown.gif I know I'm going to have to pay 3 times as much one day for a high grade copy.

Hey I can give you the contact details of the seller, it is back in his possession as of yesterday. Maybe you can hammer him down on the price. poke2.gif

i agree with the assessments around 6.0. the big indent crease is the real killer here. still, it looks pretty nice and i'm sure there are many who covet that book. thumbsup2.gif

Like me! There wasn't one to be found in SD and a 5.5 to 6.5 is what I'm looking for! I have a beater and would love this book! One of my all-time faves. I'm a huge Subby fan and this and a nice #125 are high on my wish list.

I was going to rush it off to CGC for slabbing (maybe a press first shy.gif) and would have kept it because I think I really think I picked it up for a good price. Still that's too much cash for a book that would have got nailed if graded. The tears were just too big. frown.gif I know I'm going to have to pay 3 times as much one day for a high grade copy.

Hey I can give you the contact details of the seller, it is back in his possession as of yesterday. Maybe you can hammer him down on the price. poke2.gif

gossip.gifSend me the seller's details, and I'll flip it to Mark devil.gif

27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

stooges.gif