• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Graded Low Grades

8 posts in this topic

Curious as to thoughts on reasons and value for encased low grade books.  I was looking at the Tec 33 on the "married" thread and was curious as to keeping it graded.

Often I see a NG,0.5 or 1.0 that's Green or Purple label and wonder the purposes of keeping it encased.  For a $100,000 book sure, but a typical $1000 semikey why keep it encased?

Also, does the encased graded book get any premium at all vs a deslabbed book with the label. 

I do see the attraction of the single page uber key getting graded - you get the Label that says "Action Comics 1" on it. 

I tend to agree. In fact I deslab almost everything. But some low grade books are a bit fragile and are at risk of more damage with handling. A cover just hanging on at the staples for example. I think you can make a case for keeping those in a slab.

I would only get a coverless or otherwise incomplete book graded for the restoration check...possible trimming etc... so that in the event a missing part comes along, the owner or who he wants to sell it to might feel it well worth to complete the book. Blue blue blue

1) If the census numbers are VERY low and you actually care about contributing to that data.

2) If you want 100% completion on a registry set without paying crazy prices on some issues.

(shrug)