• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

35 cent Variant List-Help wanted

904 posts in this topic

Does anyone now have a larger collection than 4Gemworks that you know of?

Cosmic-Spider-Man has a ton. I don't know if he has more than Glenn, but just based on what I've seen on ebay he's definitely got one of the top collections. I've seen him win at least 20 hidden books and then there's all the overt bidding he does.

Did Lighthouse find any when he visited the dealer he found the KC 220 at?

I'll never tell... sumo.gif

Okay, so that's a lie...

Actually the gentleman had to reschedule due to a family illness, so it looks like it will be a couple weeks yet before I see the remaining three long boxes. And just to clarify, this was a collector, not a dealer. Based on the stuff he had in the first batch I would expect to find 8-10 more 35c variants, just don't know whether they will be commons or rares... confused-smiley-013.gif

Besides Star Wars #1 and Iron Fist 14, what are some of the more "common" 35 centers that have been unearthed? I know the above two mentioned issues have obviously come out more because they're key issues, but I was wondering if there were any more of these issues that you've heard of several people coming across.

I was just curious how many people were really collecting these things right now.

Do you know them all?...... gossip.gif

i dont... but i have heard that other than "doc".. all of thier names end in "Y"... insane.gif

Common IMO:

John carters 1-5

ASM 169-172 (173 is hard as heck to come across tho confused-smiley-013.gif )

AVG 160-164 is pretty common

Rob is right about FF issue 184, 185 comes up just as often

Logan's run came up a lot too

PPTSM comes up often

Tarzan 1-5

confused.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

it was a whole 7 dwarfs thing gossip.gif

I got it 893applaud-thumb.giftongue.gif

7 Actively chasing:

cosmic

4gemworks

daffy06

bonas0123

youknowwhy

friendly_andy

blardahow

and several more that pop in and bid on the blatant listings. Between the top 4, they probably have a complete set (known to exist issues). Once those 4 are done, confused-smiley-013.gif ....

Off the top of my head I remember three. One I won in an ebay lot. It was a "hidden" variant. Another I got in a 50 cent bin along with variant copies of 184 and 185. Cosmic-Spider-Man won one for something like $2.00 a couple of months ago and I've seen at least one other. Maybe two. Where I don't remember.

On a side note, slightly OT, has anyone else ever done a double take on the November 1977 Marvels, since they also have the funny looking "35" price?

Yeah, those have driven me crazy a few times. those, and the December issues as well. I've got quite a few of those, and I've checked back to my list several times to make sure they weren't variants... 893frustrated.gif

I've heard a bunch of titles mentioned, but hardly anthing about the Hulk. Are those books hard to find? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

On an unrelated note, I wonder if the visitors to these boards are generally cynical or pessimistic. While I have never "rated" anything. I notice that most "ranked" topics and individuals have no more than 3 and quite often one or two stars. This thread is three star.

Given that this is the most heavily posted thread, how does it rank only three stars?

How is it that none of the posters has more than 3 stars. Shouldn't at least one poster be a four or a five? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Why bother with a rank system if only the cynical post their opinions?

confused.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

it was a whole 7 dwarfs thing gossip.gif

I got it 893applaud-thumb.giftongue.gif

7 Actively chasing:

cosmic

4gemworks

daffy06

bonas0123

youknowwhy

friendly_andy

blardahow

and several more that pop in and bid on the blatant listings. Between the top 4, they probably have a complete set (known to exist issues). Once those 4 are done, confused-smiley-013.gif ....

I'm not sure, at this point I ought to be considered actively pursuing these issues.. Evaluating the supply and demand tells me that too many buyers are chasing too few issues. While I am a little tired of losing out every auction of interest to me to Cosmic SpiderMan (Sour Grapes), I also think I am helping contribute to prices that are way to high, generally speaking.

I recently bought some stuff advertised as VF/NM that had center creases. Without going into details on very seller, I'll say simply this: NO SELLER, with the exception of Daethwalker, has delivered books on eBay that lived up to their billing.

Making mistakes in the 30 cent realm prove to be relatively inexpensive. The mistakes on the 35 cent variants are MAGNIFIED GREATLY. When I get back all my 35 centers from CGC, I'll post the advertised grades, the sellers and the actual grades. I think there will be a lot of surprised folks on this forum.

Speaking of 30 centers, I finally received the entire batch of 30 centers out of the single collection from the former military guy. There were a total of about 105, making that one of my biggest finds in the 30 cent realm. The Rusty Starwars collection was almost as big but it had most of the horror issues as well as a number of the westerns. This one had nearly a complete run of the westerns but no horrors. This one also had more superheroes.