• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

35 cent Variant List-Help wanted

904 posts in this topic

shocked.gif I don't know if anyone missed them before the BIN's where popped, but a CGC 6.0 Star Wars 1 went for $600 and a CGC 7.0 SW 4 went for $400. I seriously thought about nabbing the 4--issues 2-4 are waaaay under-rated and undervalued. Someone did quite well.

After the recent pain I felt seeing the prices on the "little old lady's" variants, I liken it to some of you guys seeing how high the Teen Titans 1 CGC 9.6 went for...clik below

$400 - nice to see even plus sized "old ladies" getting shilly with it, like the best of us gypsies, tramps andthieves foreheadslap.gif

$616

$765

$152.69

$820.90 !!! OMFG!!! shocked.gif

$2700 goes a long way towards Jenny Craig... these auctions just left a pretty bad taste in my mouth. I think the point Joe C. made and was heartily agreed with here by most was turned around and abused. It looks like our fat seller friend here decided to call in on some "helpers" on some of the auctions ONCE she was aware what she had...anyone else get that feeling from the bid histories or is it just me? Normally, I don't care. I search by bidder to see how Glenn, Harry and Cosmic have been doing and notice sometimes they get hidden steals and I'm glad they do because they put an effort into finding them. Now, for all the abuse they took last week for being variant collectors that had employed some methods that we all have at one time or another, whether it was a hidden Hulk 181 ( I know you folks saw that one last week ) or a hidden Sgt Fury 134 variant... Now I see some totally off base prices on some low grade/mid grade copies and, IMO, it just screams of foul play. I could barely sell a Slabbed CGC 8.0 Iron Man 100 35 cent variant for over $100 and it was listed out in the open... tell me the results above are not tampered with 893frustrated.gif

I don't know--there are some very real, very serious bids in there. I think it's safe to say that recent bidding on the 35 centers has garnered a decent amount of attention and has attracted new collectors. I've recently been contacted by people I have never heard from before--some hoping they have "rare" variants and can make a killing, some looking to buy copies from me. Like we have all said, variant collecting definitely surges at time.

After the recent pain I felt seeing the prices on the "little old lady's" variants, I liken it to some of you guys seeing how high the Teen Titans 1 CGC 9.6 went for...clik below

I search by bidder to see how Glenn, Harry and Cosmic have been doing and notice sometimes they get hidden steals and I'm glad they do because they put an effort into finding them. Now, for all the abuse they took last week for being variant collectors that had employed some methods that we all have at one time or another, whether it was a hidden Hulk 181 ( I know you folks saw that one last week ) or a hidden Sgt Fury 134 variant... Now I see some totally off base prices on some low grade/mid grade copies and, IMO, it just screams of foul play. I could barely sell a Slabbed CGC 8.0 Iron Man 100 35 cent variant for over $100 and it was listed out in the open... tell me the results above are not tampered with 893frustrated.gif

(forgive spelling)

First off, I hope everybody is happy now that order has been restored to the integrityof the auction process. JC didn't win any of the auctions, and the only difference I can see is that a lady that was obviouslynaive to what she had got a lot more money. Other than the fact that it opened the door for guys like me to bid, I wonder what "justice" was served? The only thing this proves to me is that some buyers simply don't have deep enough pockets to compete.

Now on prices, I got the best possible scans and descriptions of these books the seller coul dpossibly provide. I'm guessing that these oughtyt obe closer to VF or better. She claims "no creases AT all, no noticeable stress on spine. The "spine roll" to me appears to be "stacking creases" which CGC goes very easy on.

Having a written description from the seller, anybody that knows me, knows I'll be down her e-meil chute in a second if these books don't measure up, asking for substantial return of capital.

That being said, the l;ast few Spectacular Spider-Man auctions have gone for well over $200, for heaven only knows what quality stuff. Higgerhawk was shaken over losing with nearly a $300 bid. The last set of ASM issues went for nearly $200 a crack. Marvel Tales as described by many in the know are among the TOUGHEST of any variant issues to find. If you throw in the set I didn't win, the Marvel Team Ups, the average for all books was about $140 per book. Is anybody really in shock over these numbners?

At least half these books are already spoken for , away from me, that is they were presold before I actually made any bids. Therefore the demans you see at the actual auction is understated.

One l;ast thing, FD suggested I save PPSSM 11 for Higgerhawk. I have been trying to help William for some time, just because he is persistent.

I am ready to compete for any Kid Colt 207 that comes up on equal footing. I'm not asking for a gift. Is there a line to be drawn somewhere here. William has an interest ONLY in the PPSSm issues. Should completists like myself be held to holding books for guys that only want to complete their own runs? That would be a rhetorical question, by the way....

On some of the new books this week, Kid Colt 205 and Tomb of darkness. I have already offered extra copies of these to anybody that needs them (you know who you are) adn likewise do not feel constrained to bid on upgrade issues. The best way to deal with this situation in my opinion is in a more collective form, and I don't mean on this board. I mean getting together, as I have done with a few other posters and amongst ourselves trying to shake lose a few items at more reasonable prices.

My sense is that variant collectors have sort of let themselves be pigeonholed into high prices due to the "lone wolf" approach.

If you have three small farmers loacted next to eacjh other paying $5.00 a pound for some needed ingridient and they somehowdiscover that orders twice as big as their individual orders get 30% off, it's not long before the three farns form a collective to purchase farm supplies.

The current situation is not that different.. The problem with this market is that even looking at what might be fair base prices, my personal dealing with folks tells me two things:

1) Most folks have little if any material of substance to trade

2) Most folks cannot compete finanacially even at a lower level

One last word on this idea of stepping away from books that other folks need: I have already offered more books collectively that are VERY hard books to find to collectors individually than I ever could bid for.

First off, I hope everybody is happy now that order has been restored to the integrityof the auction process. JC didn't win any of the auctions, and the only difference I can see is that a lady that was obviouslynaive to what she had got a lot more money. Other than the fact that it opened the door for guys like me to bid, I wonder what "justice" was served? The only thing this proves to me is that some buyers simply don't have deep enough pockets to compete.

Okay, I've had just about enough of this BS, and I've gotta fire back.

I already own the vast majority of these comics, and while I did have some interest in bidding just for fun, this was never about me buying them. It was about fair play and keeping the auctions open when there were active bids present.

Your attitude also steams me a bit, as you continue to act as if you're the only one with any money. Sure, you had a good year investing, but don't you think others did as well? A blind monkey could make money on the stock market in 2003, and as evidence of this, my slack-witted cousin took in $300K last year from hobby trading, and he's certainly no stock genius.

If you feel that no one but "guys like me" have "deep enough pockets to compete" then you must be spending your profits on crack as well as comics. You continually repeat this BS, as if a few grand was somehow "out of range" for anyone but you, and the reason why I didn't win any was because of my obviously poverty-stricken lifestyle.

I think you need to slice a piece of humble pie and stop insulting anyone who isn't as madly-addicted to 35-cent variants as you are. I don't see Brulato or any of the other BSD's in there bidding, so I guess they're living on the street as well?

popcorn.gif

Wow... quick delete by JC...

But seriously... we need to find those graemlins some pork rinds... with all those carbs in the popcorn it's no wonder they're fat...

popcorn.gif

Yeah, I'm trying my best to keep my temper down, but this continual "you don't have the deep pockets to compete with PEOPLE LIKE ME!" bullshat is really ticking me off.

Funny, but I didn't know his last name was Rockefeller or that $2700 was a King's ransom. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

popcorn.gif

Yeah, I'm trying my best to keep my temper down, but this continual "you don't have the deep pockets to compete with PEOPLE LIKE ME!" bullshat is really ticking me off.

Funny, but I didn't know his last name was Rockefeller or that $2700 was a King's ransom. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

In case nobody else on these boards seems to think thatthese variants are trading at high dollar amounts, let me be clear, THEY ARE! This is not an area of the comic book larket that you throw down your kids education money into. If I thougfht somebody was throwing theit retirement funds into price variants, I'd consider them fools.

Let's make it clear bt the way, I'm not the one that complained how cheaply these comics in particular were going for. I never criticized the potential buy of the cheap comics either. Ifd a person can get comics cheap off eBay with out breaking laws, I am in no position to rebuke them/

Let's also make it clear that I did not initiate any talk of these comic books being overly expensive after the deals were done.

What I did was to offer my personal opinion on why things happen the way they do. I also tried to offer a "solution" of sorts for dealing with high prices.

JC has been calling for a "crash" in CGC prices and the market in general for sometime. My defense of this was to suggest that stock prices and comic book prices are tied together. So JC's response to this is to suggest that I am flouting my personal success, as the market has been going up.

Threads up and down the CGC chain are replete with opinions that people are paying crazy prices for comic books. Until one is seriously interested in trying to understand why prices are where they are, without making general attacks on folks paying the high prices,very little progress will be made.

My serious money has never been in price variants and I would suggest that others not make it a home for their serious money either. But if you don't want folks making comments on price and the like, don't bring up price as an issue, high or low. I prefer this forum as a place to discuss the fun of the hobby, not a place to vent over priuces paid. The market is what the market is.

PS why is it that some folks have the need to use "expletives" on this forum? Is it not possible to debate issues without trying to debase folks that way?

A debate works trhis way:

1) A person introduces fcat and posiibly suppoting evidence.

2) Responders answer with supporting or dissenting facts and have a discussion about the issue based on introduced facts.

I know this is basic, I learned it on the high school debate team. But maybe some can use it as a model going forward.

I think it's pretty clear what you're saying, so let's stop the BS. 893blahblah.gif

In all my years of collecting comics, this is the only time I felt like chucking them all on the lawn and tossing a match.

Selfish and petty are two characteristics that comic book collecting has way too much of, and from Ian whining about his missing comics, to Metro's "wheels are in motion" BS, to the Gollum-like variant addicts looking for "my precious", it's quite tiring to see first-hand, so many obsessive-compulsive disorders.

I think I need to toss my comics into storage and move on to other pursuits, before it's too late.

I'd hate to be on here one day screaming about how "I only need one more CGC 9.8 Byrne comic", or being so enamored with my hoarding that I refuse CaptainTripps the last 9.8 X-Men he needs, even though I have dupes.