• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

They're REAL...and they're SPECTACULAR!

26 posts in this topic

so I was reading Dougs description of the WM ASM#1, and he says the following:

From the White Mountain Collection. The first issue of the greatest and most popular comic book title of the entire Silver Age. Here is a ridiculous 9.6 copy of this important issue, a true Near Mint + in every sense of the word(s). This book is simply gorgeous and is the second highest graded and second best existing CGC certified copy (sorry, Curator!!). Unbelievably fresh and glossy, with off-white to white pages, a perfect cover, dead-on registration, flawless edges and corners and that unmistakeable White Mountain presence. Features the retelling of Spidey's origin from 7 months prior (Amazing Fantasy #15) by Stan Lee plus great Steve Ditko art and a phenomenal Jack Kirby/Steve Ditko cover. Also features the first Fantastic Four crossover, plus the initial appearances of J. Jonah Jameson and the Chameleon. There is only one copy better than this one (in insane 9.8) and that one is part of a private collection that will never see the public's eyes in decades, making this pedigreed beauty the finest copy ever offered for sale!!
asking price $150,000

SO then I looked to see what Doug's copy in the Vault says.... and got a surprise:

The 1st issue of this landmark title, it retells Spideys origin by Steve Ditko and features the initial crossover of the Fantastic Four, who are seen on the classic Kirby/Ditko cover preparing to confront our hero. From the Curator Collection, this book is practically flawless, with off white to white pages, sharp corners and a perfect spine. There is only one copy in 9.8 of this issue (forever stuck in a private collection), marking this book as the 2nd finest in existence and nicest copy ever offered for sale. You will probably never see a copy as nice as this one again. For Sale Only: $175,000

so, you gotta admire Dougs honesty in calling this WM copy better than his Curator! And I guess Doug should adjust his Curator description now too.... and maybe the price?? 27_laughing.gif Im guessing the newer WM copy is "priced to sell".

Whose books are these?

The books are Doug's (see his ASM Registry set).

Of all the early SA Marvel titles, Doug felt like selling ASM (and AF #15) made the most sense. While he might / or might not admit this, I think the main reason why is because it was the one title that he DIDN'T have the best run (and most of the books were not from the Pacific Coast pedigree).

He has the only SA Fantastic Four and Journey into Mystery runs in 9.4 (or better), and his X-Men, Tales of Suspense, Tales to Astonish and Strange Tales are the best with tons of Pacifc Coast copies.

He is still actively collecting as I see him upgrade books all the time (he just recently got the only FF #3 CGC 9.4 and just a few months ago, reobtained TTA #27 in CGC 9.4.

so Doug owns 2 copies of ASM1 in 9.6? makes my last post even more interesting since the "better" copy is for sale for less than the Curator Vault copy.... I'm sure Doug just forgot what he wrote a year ago, but with both copies in hand, I wonder which copy really looks better?

Man, those are awesome! 893whatthe.gif

I've been thinking about getting a low grade Spidey #1 for awhile, but that book is just incredible.

We need to get Elaine Benis to inspect these and see if they're the real deal or not.