• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink's next Featured Auction Has Started Posting Books
17 17

1,720 posts in this topic

So I feel fairly confident the FF5 9.4 wasn't shilled. I just don't think C-Link would be promoting the sale on the front page now, if the buyer was a shiller and hadn't paid. Just not adding up. Seems the likely scenario is what some have mentioned that just big couple bidders early, and seemingly scared anyone else away. At least that seems the most plausible to me, because I won't deny it's certainly unusual to see an auction book get such early bidding and then boop, done! But seems to be the most likely case I guess hm

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 3.11.14 PM.png

On 9/2/2022 at 3:14 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

So I feel fairly confident the FF5 9.4 wasn't shilled. I just don't think C-Link would be promoting the sale on the front page now, if the buyer was a shiller and hadn't paid. Just not adding up. Seems the likely scenario is what some have mentioned that just big couple bidders early, and seemingly scared anyone else away. At least that seems the most plausible to me, because I won't deny it's certainly unusual to see an auction book get such early bidding and then boop, done! But seems to be the most likely case I guess hm

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 3.11.14 PM.png

I think it was Elon Musk; he has a history of over paying. :shiftyeyes:

On 9/1/2022 at 8:46 PM, Forbush-Man said:

They were in the ballpark.  I did find it a little surprising that raw graded GVG (not third party verified) copies on Heritage sold for slightly higher than my Graded ( verified) copies.  Surprised also because they are certified universal, so thought that would give more reassurance to buyers.  Very glad that the Larson lead the pack in the end (it should) and thought #4 was very high in demand (more so than #7 it seemed). 

What did you think? 

Not exactly sure why, but it seems that this even happens within their own Hertiage auction platform when it comes to raw copies seemingly selling for more than graded copies.  hm

I still remember Heritage having some raw early HTF pre-hero Adventure and More Fun comics earlier this year that still managed to fetched double digit condition guide value in their Sunday auctions, even though a few of them were either restored or Incomplete.  And yet, when similar graded pre-hero copies of these books from the same time period showed up in their Signature Auction, they couldn't fetched the same high multiples to condition guide. ???

Maybe it has something to do with a slightly different set of eyeballs looking at these auctions here.  (shrug)

On 9/2/2022 at 7:19 AM, tth2 said:

I think it was because CL probably wasn't the best platform to sell jumbo Jumbos.  They're pretty esoteric to start with, even for GA, and CL's bread and butter clientele are focused on SA and BA.

Although I would definitely ten to agree with you here, I will have to say that they are clearly making some inroads into the GA market for the past few years as it has become one of the hot sectors of the comic book marketplace.  (thumbsu

If I was a GA consignor though, I would most probably still go with either HA or CC depending upon the book.  Unless it's a highest graded copy or something close to that since I find that CL also tends to be the home of the labels chasers and when you have a highest graded copy of a book, they certainly do like to promote that fact as part of their auction listing description.  hm

On 9/3/2022 at 11:10 AM, lou_fine said:

Not exactly sure why, but it seems that this even happens within their own Hertiage auction platform when it comes to raw copies seemingly selling for more than graded copies.  hm

I still remember Heritage having some raw early HTF pre-hero Adventure and More Fun comics earlier this year that still managed to fetched double digit condition guide value in their Sunday auctions, even though a few of them were either restored or Incomplete.  And yet, when similar graded pre-hero copies of these books from the same time period showed up in their Signature Auction, they couldn't fetched the same high multiples to condition guide. ???

Maybe it has something to do with a slightly different set of eyeballs looking at these auctions here.  (shrug)

I don't know, and you make good points, but you'd think having the book certified unrestored would be the most important thing when buying comics of high value.  Grades you can agree or disagree on, but the restoration check is worth the cost of grading. JMHO. 

On 9/3/2022 at 11:37 AM, Forbush-Man said:

I don't know, and you make good points, but you'd think having the book certified unrestored would be the most important thing when buying comics of high value.  Grades you can agree or disagree on, but the restoration check is worth the cost of grading. JMHO. 

I would tend to agree with you, although with the restored and low grade pre-hero DC's, they were only a few hundred dollars in condition guide value.  :takeit:

A few examples of these rather surprising raw Heritage sales (at least from my POV) from earlier this year were the following:  :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/adventure-comics-38-dc-1939-condition-apparent-gd/a/122207-13010.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, Adventure Comics #38 (DC, 1939) Condition: Apparent GD....

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/adventure-comics-33-dc-1938-condition-apparent-gd-vg/a/122207-13007.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, Adventure Comics #33 (DC, 1938) Condition: Apparent GD/VG....

Both were graded as Apparent Good or G/VG copies and sold for $4,320 (or 11.7X condition guide) and $5,040 (9X guide) respectively; OR

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/more-fun-comics-45-dc-1939-condition-gd-/a/122213-17630.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, More Fun Comics #45 (DC, 1939) Condition: GD+....

This unrestored Good+ copy of More Fun 45 that sold for $4,800 or a rather astounding almost 20X condition guide for a RAW graded book.  :applause:

On 9/3/2022 at 12:31 PM, lou_fine said:

I would tend to agree with you, although with the restored and low grade pre-hero DC's, they were only a few hundred dollars in condition guide value.  :takeit:

A few examples of these rather surprising raw Heritage sales (at least from my POV) from earlier this year were the following:  :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/adventure-comics-38-dc-1939-condition-apparent-gd/a/122207-13010.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, Adventure Comics #38 (DC, 1939) Condition: Apparent GD....

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/adventure-comics-33-dc-1938-condition-apparent-gd-vg/a/122207-13007.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, Adventure Comics #33 (DC, 1938) Condition: Apparent GD/VG....

Both were graded as Apparent Good or G/VG copies and sold for $4,320 (or 11.7X condition guide) and $5,040 (9X guide) respectively; OR

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/more-fun-comics-45-dc-1939-condition-gd-/a/122213-17630.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, More Fun Comics #45 (DC, 1939) Condition: GD+....

This unrestored Good+ copy of More Fun 45 that sold for $4,800 or a rather astounding almost 20X condition guide for a RAW graded book.  :applause:

Those are great books! You don't see them often, if at all.  Just one caveat; Let me know when these start selling at guide, I'll buy them up. I'll buy any Fine and above Dell War Comics #1-4 and any Dell War Stories #5-8 too. :insane:

On 9/3/2022 at 1:17 PM, Forbush-Man said:

Just one caveat; Let me know when these start selling at guide, I'll buy them up.

You are going to have a ton of competition here if this ever happens, including from yours truly here.  :bigsmile:  :takeit:

And isn't it really about time that Overstreet break out more of these books from their larger groupings since the adventure theme covers and some of the more in-demand covers in these pre-hero books clearly sell for more than their adjjacent humour theme covers?  :luhv:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

On 9/3/2022 at 1:36 PM, lou_fine said:

You are going to have a ton of competition here if this ever happens, including from yours truly here.  :bigsmile:  :takeit:

And isn't it really about time that Overstreet break out more of these books from their larger groupings since the adventure theme covers and some of the more in-demand covers in these pre-hero books clearly sell for more than their adjjacent humour theme covers?  :luhv:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

They can't even get the more common issues right after 50+ years of having a price guide.  I wonder if they're just asleep at the wheel here. 

With the "new" digital Overstreet, I would recommend they work some advertising deals in exchange for auction results to make their endeavor fruitful.  I doubt they've got the initiative and drive to do so though...:facepalm:................I hope they prove me wrong. :wishluck:

Does anyone have a reasonable explanation for why my shipping costs were so high on this order? The most I've been charged for shipping from ComicLink before this was $22, and the price for shipping two books was always the same as shipping one. I paid $22 quite recently for shipping one book, so that's what I was expecting. If the site had given me a choice of shipping options, I would have selected the cheapest option. (I don't remember being given a choice.)

(I e-mailed CLink about this, but so far I've only gotten an auto-reply.)

Have others had high shipping costs this time?

CLink.PNG

On 9/10/2022 at 5:07 PM, Aman619 said:

Comiclink Buyers Premium??  Is that the CC fee?  deceptive description a bit...

On 9/10/2022 at 5:58 PM, szav said:

It’s in the terms and from what I recall communicated when you pay.  Heritage sneaks in a 2.5% cc processing fee too. 

The 2.5% is waived if you pay by check, which is what I do.

My invoice says that the books will be shipped "Express Insured." Not in a million years would I have chosen express shipping, so either that was the default and I would have had to manually change it when I checked out, or the web site didn't give me a choice.

On 9/10/2022 at 5:58 PM, szav said:

It’s in the terms and from what I recall communicated when you pay.  Heritage sneaks in a 2.5% cc processing fee too. 

I get that.  Credit cards companies charge 2.5% and up on every charge, so that falls on the seller in our world, but not at mall stores or anywhere else.  I was just suggesting that in auctions we are all familiar with Buyers Commissions… and they apply to all bidders.  But the CC fee should get a different unique name is all., like Buyers Payment Preference fee, or even Buyers Processing Fee.  At least Heritage calls it what it is probably because they already charge a true Buyer Commission Fee.

On 9/10/2022 at 9:57 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

CLink.PNG

On 9/10/2022 at 2:07 PM, Aman619 said:

Comiclink Buyers Premium??  Is that the CC fee?  deceptive description a bit...

I also thought it was the payment selection fee if you decide to pay by credit card, but that wouldn't make sense because they make it sound like it's waive if you pay by a certain date (i.e. September 14, 2022).  ???

On 9/11/2022 at 1:40 AM, lou_fine said:

I also thought it was the payment selection fee if you decide to pay by credit card, but that wouldn't make sense because they make it sound like it's waive if you pay by a certain date (i.e. September 14, 2022).  ???

Yes, all invoices are due within seven days of the end of the auction, so the fee is waived if you pay by check AND pay by the due date. The timing is a bit tight because you're counting on the USPS to get your check to them within 7 days. The check goes to Chicago, and I live in Michigan, so for me that isn't really an issue.

On 9/10/2022 at 12:57 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Does anyone have a reasonable explanation for why my shipping costs were so high on this order? The most I've been charged for shipping from ComicLink before this was $22, and the price for shipping two books was always the same as shipping one. I paid $22 quite recently for shipping one book, so that's what I was expecting. If the site had given me a choice of shipping options, I would have selected the cheapest option. (I don't remember being given a choice.)

(I e-mailed CLink about this, but so far I've only gotten an auto-reply.)

Have others had high shipping costs this time?

CLink.PNG

I complained to ComicLink about this. At a certain value, around $4k to $6k, they charge roughly $60 to $70+ for ONE book. It’s the same box as a $100 book. What’s worse, I live about 2 hours from CLInk, and that “express” shipping takes 2-3 days (sometimes longer) to reach me. 7/10 times the packages arrive beat to hell, and CLink promised a stronger box several times but never happens.