• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

High end book fractional ownership
1 1

84 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, revat said:

"getting out" would simply involve whatever terms are agreed upon before hand.  In the event that you can 'sell' your stake, you just get whatever money you can and transfer your % ownership to the new buyer. 

There might be some mechanism to 'trigger' a sale.  Maybe every month there's an email sent to all the owners, and when the majority (or 70% or whatever %) want to sell, its sent to Heritage in the next month.

As people have stated, the key is considering for contingencies in the legal documentation.  But at some point, its a lot of trouble and cost for some fairly uncertain profit in a totally unregulated industry (compared to say real estate or stocks), with extremely liquid and somewhat interchangeable inventory. 

I think this is the kind of thing you go in with your brother or best friend, and even then with heavy reservations.

Too many moving parts to make this profitable, unless you're just doing it with a few family or close friends.

it assumes remaining owners can pay out the leaving partner.

To many questions and uncertainty for me.

I mean the downside is do you really own the comic? or is it just a asset associated with at security exchange? 

Also can a collector really say they own this book? 

Would a collector even appreciate this...

This is more catered to the flippers and Instagrammers who want just a claim to fame and make some money off of the comic book industry... in my opinion.  

3 minutes ago, Krismusic said:
28 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Forget comics for a minute...

Imagine you're at a museum and you see an amazing piece of art on the wall.  The wealthy owner's estate has loaned the painting to the museum and has put 49% of the ownership in the painting onto the "digital art market".  You can buy (or check your) shares right from your phone while you're standing in the museum or after you get home that night, whenever.  You buy a lithograph of the painting in the gift shop on the way out, show the clerk your ownership on the phone and the clerk puts a stamp on the edge of your lithograph (certified owner).  You hang the lithograph at home and know you're also part owner in the real thing.

Now, considering the value of the bitcoin market is currently $10.2 billion, which is ownership in literally a few digital ones and zeroes somewhere... which scenario sounds reasonable and which one is the bitcoin market already worth ten billion?

uh oh bit coin analogies....

Bit coin worth is largely tied to illegal activity as well and through illegal venture capitalist (mafia, gangs, high crime) organizations... it was a decentralized currency that is also being used to transfer funds and host/house illegal activity.. Not quite the same thing here if you have a security exchange commission involved with the shares to property. 

There are several exchanges for bitcoin (and others) which are 100% legit, including coinbase and binance.  What might have started as illegal activity has a completely legit side as well.  Ironically, it's likely that digital tokens would be the most obvious method used to establish a digital exchange for shares in stuff.

8 minutes ago, valiantman said:

That's definitely the kind of thing being discussed.  

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/02/28/investing-shares-of-collector-cars-rally-road

It doesn't look like Rally Rd has a market for shares to be bought and sold yet, so they have offerings of ownership shares, then those owners are set.

Interesting article.  As it points out there are safer ways to invest that have better returns.  And you don't really get the pride in ownership that collecting is usually about.

2 minutes ago, D84 said:

It's a terrible idea, but if you are gullible enough to try this, please make it a reality show.

"25 D!p$h!ts, 1 book"

I dont think its a terrible idea anymore and believe me I thought it was bad... 

but the issue would be in the details of the sale of the shares and the book. if you think of it as like shares in a business with buy out clauses etc... the problem is that the company will be bought out at some point in the future generally within the first year I would see it.. Do we retain shares that can be divested into the next book bought.. or is it a cash out option only and is there a limit or set price on the cashout options I mean it can be something cool or it can be a easy money pull/scam.

they also have to take a percentage of the profit either from share selling or sale of book or taking a top off the investment amount in the shares.. 

it could potentially become a nightmare or a investment... lol 

3 minutes ago, thunsicker said:
12 minutes ago, valiantman said:

That's definitely the kind of thing being discussed.  

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/02/28/investing-shares-of-collector-cars-rally-road

It doesn't look like Rally Rd has a market for shares to be bought and sold yet, so they have offerings of ownership shares, then those owners are set.

Interesting article.  As it points out there are safer ways to invest that have better returns.  And you don't really get the pride in ownership that collecting is usually about.

But are there safer ways to invest in those particular real world items?  That's the problem.  100% of the people don't have to like it... just a few people could buy an Action Comics #1, the question is where/how?

2 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

I dont think its a terrible idea anymore and believe me I thought it was bad... 

but the issue would be in the details of the sale of the shares and the book. if you think of it as like shares in a business with buy out clauses etc... the problem is that the company will be bought out at some point in the future generally within the first year I would see it.. Do we retain shares that can be divested into the next book bought.. or is it a cash out option only and is there a limit or set price on the cashout options I mean it can be something cool or it can be a easy money pull/scam.

they also have to take a percentage of the profit either from share selling or sale of book or taking a top off the investment amount in the shares.. 

it could potentially become a nightmare or a investment... lol 

It sounds like more bottom feeders trying a get rich scheme with comics again.

Just now, D84 said:

It sounds like more bottom feeders trying a get rich scheme with comics again.

How would you suggest that 100 "bottom feeders" combine $10,000 each of their own cash and buy a million dollar Action Comics #1?  Hire a lawyer to write up a contract?  Give up because it's impossible?  

It'll happen, and you'll probably want in when they get to Detective #27 for 10,000 shares at $100 each.

Just now, valiantman said:

How would you suggest that 100 "bottom feeders" combine $10,000 each of their own cash and buy a million dollar Action Comics #1?  Hire a lawyer to write up a contract?  Give up because it's impossible?  

It'll happen, and you'll probably want in when they get to Detective #27 for 10,000 shares at $100 each.

No, I won't, because I'm a collector, not a speculator.  I love my books and I'd rather put 10k into a book that I'd actually own.

2 minutes ago, D84 said:
4 minutes ago, valiantman said:

No, I won't, because I'm a collector, not a speculator.  I love my books and I'd rather put 10k into a book that I'd actually own.

Fair enough, but 10,000 shares at $100 each for a million dollar Detective #27 would probably get snapped up fast if there was a legit market available.  Every owner can still read a reprint if they get lonely, or they can just spend $10K on a Batman book they'd actually own... one which absolutely isn't a real Detective #27.

There are several exchanges for bitcoin (and others) which are 100% legit, including coinbase and binance.  What might have started as illegal activity has a completely legit side as well.  Ironically, it's likely that digital tokens would be the most obvious method used to establish a digital exchange for shares in stuff.

Yeah, how legit are those operations I read a article about a Bitcoin Exchange that was running for a few years legitimately and all of a sudden the CEO takes all the cryptocurrency and disappears is the theory 115 million it was also Canada's largest Crypto currency exchange. After months they found the wallets to be empty 8 months before CEO death and the millions were kept offline in a "cold Storage".

https://markets.businessinsider.com/currencies/news/crypto-ceo-died-with-passwords-to-137-million-but-the-money-is-gone-2019-3-1028009684 

Just now, Krismusic said:
18 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Yeah, how legit are those operations I read a article about a Bitcoin Exchange that was running for a few years legitimately and all of a sudden the CEO takes all the cryptocurrency and disappears is the theory 115 million it was also Canada's largest Crypto currency exchange. After months they found the wallets to be empty 8 months before CEO death and the millions were kept offline in a "cold Storage".

https://markets.businessinsider.com/currencies/news/crypto-ceo-died-with-passwords-to-137-million-but-the-money-is-gone-2019-3-1028009684 

If you don't think Coinbase and Binance are legit, then I have bad news about Ebay and CGC comics.

I've had friends suggest similar things to me before, and the answer is always "no". (And to be clear, I'm not in any way a player to be even a fractional owner of a Tec 27).  Going into business with friends is a bad idea. Too much potential for bad feelings.

Just now, F For Fake said:

I've had friends suggest similar things to me before, and the answer is always "no". (And to be clear, I'm not in any way a player to be even a fractional owner of a Tec 27).  Going into business with friends is a bad idea. Too much potential for bad feelings.

It would need to be cold, emotionless, SEC regulated, and if your friends want in, they open their own account in "Etradecomics" or whatever it is called and deal with their own business.

2 minutes ago, valiantman said:

If you don't think Coinbase and Binance are legit, then I have bad news about Ebay and CGC comics.

I don't really track cryptocurrency and haven't invested in it, but investing in the comic is different than the digital currency which has all kinds of security issues like the example I provided above. At least with the Comic book there is a physical thing that the valuation is attached to and this physical thing can be tracked through the Online Public sale of the item that they will buy and could also track the sale of the item through the Auction houses. You can't run off and sell the book later easily like you can with the crypto currency. I am sure someone could recognize the book specially since it will be a CGC graded book and that they will allow VIP people with 10 or more shares access to see the book at their facility. I would have more safety in this than the Crypto currency.

6 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

I don't really track cryptocurrency and haven't invested in it, but investing in the comic is different than the digital currency which has all kinds of security issues like the example I provided above. At least with the Comic book there is a physical thing that the valuation is attached to and this physical thing can be tracked through the Online Public sale of the item that they will buy and could also track the sale of the item through the Auction houses. You can't run off and sell the book later easily like you can with the crypto currency. I am sure someone could recognize the book specially since it will be a CGC graded book and that they will allow VIP people with 10 or more shares access to see the book at their facility. I would have more safety in this than the Crypto currency.

Exactly, the idea behind cryptocurrency is completely ridiculous, until it became a trillion dollar (collective value) idea.  The idea behind fractional ownership in "real things" (comics, cars, art, coins, whatever) is a lot more logical than cryptocurrency.

Needing to "visit the book" is a nice idea, but how many company headquarters have been visited by people who own stock?  The stock market works without any real world contact between the shareholder and the company.

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

Needing to "visit the book" is a nice idea, but how many company headquarters have been visited by people who own stock?  The stock market works without any real world contact between the shareholder and the company.

This is what the Hip Comic is doing they will allow VIP shareholders to visit the book, but the ability to visit your "asset" I think is also key into the legitimacy that the asset brings by being able to vet it.  

3 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

This is what the Hip Comic is doing they will allow VIP shareholders to visit the book, but the ability to visit your "asset" I think is also key into the legitimacy that the asset brings by being able to vet it.  

I don't see that on hipcomic.com - they look like a regular auction site with comics for sale they mail to you.  Is there somewhere "within" the site that they do shares?

Edited by valiantman

https://www.hipcomic.com/invest/

6 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I don't see that on hipcomic.com - they look like a regular auction site with comics for sale they mail to you.  Is there somewhere "within" the site that they do shares?