• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Allentown thread...
4 4

147 posts in this topic

On 4/20/2022 at 1:21 AM, Microchip said:

https://itsalljustcomics.com/100000-club/

$57,000 was huge cheese back in 1998.

image.thumb.png.445cbf6eb53c8c279db601a0aad73851.png

Edited April 20, 2022 by Microchip

Whenever I see the Allentown copy of 'Tec 38, it always reminds me of the Church copy of National Comics 7 which seem to be like the ugly stepchild that nobody want in terms of its failure to resell in the marketplace back almost 20 years ago.  Yep, sold initially at Heritage for $20,400 back in 2004 and then failed to resell there in 3 successive years even though the Reserve price had dropped down to barely $11K or thereabouts.  doh!  :takeit:

Looks like Win (i.e. @CentaurMan) was the smart dude here who was astute enough to pick it up back then and sold it in the last completed Heritage Auction for a much more deserving and resepctable $78K.  (thumbsu 

Now, I can understand the lack of appreciation for 'Tec 38 since it's the first appearance and origin of Robin, the Boy Blunder who is not necessarily the most loved GA character.  As for National 7 though with the detailed underwater imagery, I considered this to be another classic cover and another example of Fine at his finest.  Hence, no real surprise to me that it sold for $78K as this simply puts it in line with what some of his other top classic cover books have sold for in the past.  :applause:

On 7/5/2024 at 6:47 AM, lou_fine said:

Looks like Win (i.e. @CentaurMan) was the smart dude here who was astute enough to pick it up back then and sold it in the last completed Heritage Auction for a much more deserving and resepctable $78K.  (thumbsu 

Even that looks somewhat like a bargain for this book.

image.thumb.png.9072a717ac0d6505aea67d3e500b17ee.png

On 7/4/2024 at 3:11 PM, Microchip said:

Even that looks somewhat like a bargain for this book.

image.thumb.png.9072a717ac0d6505aea67d3e500b17ee.png

Well, probably when you compare it to a Fantastic Comics 3 with the classic robot cover which CC auctioned off for $243K back in 2017.  :cloud9:

At a price point of $78K though, this Church copy of National 7 puts it in line with both the Church copies of Wonderworld 7 and the Mystery Men 3 which sold for $66K and $57K respectively in the Jon Berk Auction back in 2017, with the Mystery Men subsequently reselling for $78K in 2021.  (thumbsu

Which kind of makes me wonder what these two books would go for in today's marketplace given the $78K result for this National 7.  hm

On 7/16/2024 at 3:00 PM, Straw-Man said:

can we pretend mine is an allentown????

3136701_Full_Obv.jpg?t=NC8yMi8yMDE4IDQ6MTA6MjMgUE0%3d

Sure, I am all in, especially since your rather sharp looking copy is a whole ton better than my non-copy.  :luhv:  :takeit: