• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

heritage results

59 posts in this topic

Mark

You are definitely one of the collectors buying these books. And obviously there are others. But the amount of material being put on the market at any one time, is obviously not being absorbed by collectors. Usually dealers step in, purchasing at a price they feel, will be profitable to them some time later, once the collectors have the funds available for new purchases.

This does not seem to be happening now, especially on the more esoteric publishers. I think the dealers don't have a real feel for who would eventually buy theses books at higher prices.

It would be very interesting to know exactly who IS buying many of these books, i.e., dealers vs. collectors vs. investors (who might not fit into either of the two prior categories). If it is dealers or investors, time will tell us that as we see the books up for resale.

Perhaps Geppi will buy it back for $250,000. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I saw a show on lotto winners, $92M, $41M, etc. You should have seen the [embarrassing lack of self control] they were spending money on. $150,000 for two ugly statues of the Blues Brothers that the guy had sitting in his back yard. $60,000 on a home stereo system that is probably totally out dated right now. 10 different vehicles that are probably gathering dust and one guy had a $1M dollar limo car. Give me $40M and and I'll go on a spending spree that would make JP blush.

I'm blanking on who told me this, but statistically most (or at least many) lottery winners actually end up losing most of their money within a short period of time, particularly because of some of the examples above.

I believe it as the urge to buy stuff with cash would be great, bad business investments, and the next thing you know your trying to live off a few hundred thousand and it all dwindles away rapidly. Still $2M-$3M in comics would be better than a $100,000 shower head or gold plated telephone, at least your fairly liquid (JC might disagree).

grin.gif

Perhaps Geppi will buy it back for $250,000. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I saw a show on lotto winners, $92M, $41M, etc. You should have seen the [embarrassing lack of self control] they were spending money on. $150,000 for two ugly statues of the Blues Brothers that the guy had sitting in his back yard. $60,000 on a home stereo system that is probably totally out dated right now. 10 different vehicles that are probably gathering dust and one guy had a $1M dollar limo car. Give me $40M and and I'll go on a spending spree that would make JP blush.

I'm blanking on who told me this, but statistically most (or at least many) lottery winners actually end up losing most of their money within a short period of time, particularly because of some of the examples above.

I believe it as the urge to buy stuff with cash would be great, bad business investments, and the next thing you know your trying to live off a few hundred thousand and it all dwindles away rapidly. Still $2M-$3M in comics would be better than a $100,000 shower head or gold plated telephone, at least your fairly liquid (JC might disagree).

grin.gif

I keep telling my wife this! gossip.gif

All I know is if I ever hit the Lotto, I'm definitely hiring a couple of bodyguards to protect me from those mooching relatives that I haven't seen in years. sumo.gif

One of my high school buddies won the lotto. He's definitely a statistical anomaly, as he changed absolutely nothing about his lifestyle after winning. He went and picked up his millions (millions! good lord...my tummy hurts), went back home, flipped on the TV and that was that. Now he's got millions (millions!) in the bank, but you'd never know it, I mean, he doesn't even buy himself a new pair of sneakers or the more expensive peanut butter at the grocery store. It's kinda weird, yet inspriing in a loony way.

One of my high school buddies won the lotto. He's definitely a statistical anomaly, as he changed absolutely nothing about his lifestyle after winning. He went and picked up his millions (millions! good lord...my tummy hurts), went back home, flipped on the TV and that was that. Now he's got millions (millions!) in the bank, but you'd never know it, I mean, he doesn't even buy himself a new pair of sneakers or the more expensive peanut butter at the grocery store. It's kinda weird, yet inspriing in a loony way.

A friend of my brother (more of an acquaintance actually) won the lotto for $12 Million about 15 years ago. He would still see him at the same old hangout playing pocker and winning money off people. The funny thing about the whole story was that he had chased this one girl for years, but she wouldn't go out with him. After he won the lotto they got married. makepoint.gif I'm willing to bet that they're not together anymore and she has half the winnings.

I don't understand people like that. You can't take it with you so why even bother, might as well give it away to charity if your not going to even buy yourself a new pait of shoes.

I don't understand people like that. You can't take it with you so why even bother, might as well give it away to charity if your not going to even buy yourself a new pait of shoes.

At minimum I'd take a year off and travel the world.

but its not like he burned the cash, or will never spend it.... just that he was sober enough to sit back and not anything foolish with it right away. I dont know just how many millions he got, but cmon, lets be realistic. With housing prices etc today, you really cant change all that much with a few millionj. It doesnt make you a Rockefeller anymore. If you spend it on a modestly big and beautiful house in a suburb of a big city, you still have to afford to live there. The more you keep in the bank and NOT spend, th egreater your extra income. Once you spend it, you have to pay the upkeep for your new lifestyle out of the income from your OLD JOB.... It couldnt afford you that new lifestyle then,, hows it gonna do it now?

it all depends on how big the payout - - and how big your appette for luxury and tastes are.

My high school chum cleared 6 million, roughly. A princely sum, to be sure, more money than most of us are ever likely to see in our lifetimes. But, at the same time, it's not an ungodly amount of money...I mean, you couldn't spend it forever if you wanted to live like that.

But yeah, for several years, he did nothing with the money. Like, he didn't touch one penny, and continued to work a stockroom-type job that I'm sure didn't pay 6 million. I gather he was afraid the money would "change" him or something.....he softened up after a few years and took a couple of short vacations, but still, not much. I think he was embarassed by the money, truthfully.

My high school chum cleared 6 million, roughly. A princely sum, to be sure, more money than most of us are ever likely to see in our lifetimes. But, at the same time, it's not an ungodly amount of money...I mean, you couldn't spend it forever if you wanted to live like that.

But yeah, for several years, he did nothing with the money. Like, he didn't touch one penny, and continued to work a stockroom-type job that I'm sure didn't pay 6 million. I gather he was afraid the money would "change" him or something.....he softened up after a few years and took a couple of short vacations, but still, not much. I think he was embarassed by the money, truthfully.

Is he married?! That should resolve the issue of whether the money is spent or not.