• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

heritage results

59 posts in this topic

i was away all weekend,

what were the results on action comics artwork covers? all star mile high? marvel 1? allentown special edition..9.8..wonderworld3...9.4......thanks for you help..

oops, and batman 11 artwork.

thanks

i was away all weekend,

what were the results on action comics artwork covers? all star mile high? marvel 1? allentown special edition..9.8..wonderworld3...9.4......thanks for you help..

oops, and batman 11 artwork.

thanks

The auction archives seem to be working for me.

Just checked a couple of your books for you. The Allentown Special Edition went for just over $37K which seems to be a pretty good price for this book. The Wonderworld #3 went for only $15+K which appears to be a pretty low price considering that the top of guide for this book ia already over $11K. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

This also represents a pretty big loss for the customer since according to Heritage, this was the same book as the 9.4 copy that sold in 2002 for over $25K. when the book was guiding for only $8.5K. tonofbricks.gif

I guess it's all a matter of timing and I assume it didn't help that this book had shown up quite a few times over the past couple of years without being sold. On the other hand, this same scenario didn't seem to hurt the Brenda Starr #14 book which was able to pull in over $17K. 893whatthe.gif

wow! The results were way lower than there estimates on the big books they had listed...way below there estimtes[at least on on the big golden age books[art not included....all star 1,allentown spec edition, wonderworld 3,way below there original estimates...or is it just a selling ploy they use to list very high estimates?

wow! The results were way lower than there estimates on the big books they had listed...way below there estimtes[at least on on the big golden age books[art not included....all star 1,allentown spec edition, wonderworld 3,way below there original estimates...or is it just a selling ploy they use to list very high estimates?

Here's the way I see it.

I honestly think that dealers will probably stay away from these books, as they don't know who the next buyer will.

The market for GA is definitely different then SA (especially Marvels). Pretty much, you won't see huge bargains on HG Marvel's because a dealer would pick it up. That's not the case with GA (or even SA DC's for that matter).

On the other hand, I still think that dealers would buy nice Timely's all day, knowing that they aren't available that often.

That's my take, too. Some of the GA stuff might go to a dealer with deep pockets for "prestige" purposes...I'm thinkin of the metro Frankenstein poster, for example. But generally speaking, those books aren't going to be scooped up by dealers with the intent of resale, as who knows how long it will be before somebody steps up with that kind of cash? Could be years, and that's too long for most to keep their money tied up in such expensive books.

I would guess that once a book tops out at over 5k, even the big big dealers think long and hard if they're serious about reselling.

that all star 1 mile high had an estimate of 100 to 150k i believe..and it came in at 54k......what the heck kind of estimate is that! inflating estimates can work against you as well as work for you...i didnt even look at the auction because of the original estimates......to high.....but i would have bid if i knew they came in at there correct current values[which i think they did....i choose to go on a short vacation...didnt work for them this time.....same thing happened to me with the marvel 1 artwork in heritages last auction,,it was promoted as being the most important art ever, parrino had it listed on his site at 250k,,it sold for 90k[with comm]..got caught off guard again, ill never respect reserve estimate again,believe me ive learned,there suppose to be a guide to help you,not manipulate you!

I think the logic here is to put crazy high "estimates" and hope for the best. From a business perspective, it's smarter to do that then say "50k estimate" for the All-Star 1. Then, once the book hits 50k, everybody gets a little nervous about bidding it up. Better to put an insane estimate and fly by the seat of yer pants.

than you would agree that an estimate from heritage is not to guide you,but to manipulate you....

Well, I assume they have an appraiser whose job is likely divorced from any kind of market reality (i.e. how much money can real human beings cough up in a given week). I don't think that's automatically the same thing as lying, but at the same time, yes I would imagine they err on the side of caution and set those "estimates" high 'cause ya never know who'll bite.

Unless it's just a strict quotation out of OS or there's some earlier documentation of a similar sale that can be traced and made part of public record, then I would be a little wary.

than you would agree that an estimate from heritage is not to guide you,but to manipulate you....

Well, I assume they have an appraiser whose job is likely divorced from any kind of market reality (i.e. how much money can real human beings cough up in a given week). I don't think that's automatically the same thing as lying, but at the same time, yes I would imagine they err on the side of caution and set those "estimates" high 'cause ya never know who'll bite.

Unless it's just a strict quotation out of OS or there's some earlier documentation of a similar sale that can be traced and made part of public record, then I would be a little wary.

Where were the estimates posted? I don't get their newsletter nor have I seen a press release touting their books, but I suspect they don't provide estimates for but a few of their key items.

If you'll look at the Heritage Catalogs, you'll note that they stopped putting in any estimates a couple years back. If they were trying to manipulate you with estimates they are doing a pretty good job of disguising it.

Within Heritage and within the auction business in general, there's two schools of thought about estimates. Some feel that higher estimates help eductate/inform/manipulate the customer to pay more for an item. Others feel that no or low estimates actually produce higher prices because it encourages more bidding as people think they may get a bargain. This second group won out for Comics -- hence, the estimates have been removed from the catalog -- save for the Overstreet prices.

BTW, Heritage seems to have made a major revision to their reserve policy -- posting the amount and handling them in a much more straight-forward fashion.

the estimates were listed for the key items on there website when you clicked on the item,[before the auction]...the mile high all star 1 for example had an est of 100g to 150g....i saw the estimates the day before the auction, but they were certainly there

BTW, Heritage seems to have made a major revision to their reserve policy -- posting the amount and handling them in a much more straight-forward fashion.

If you mean they are no longer waiting until late in the auction to reveal the reserve, that would be a major improvement IMO. I haven't bid on anything there since last year so I haven't paid that much attention. I never understood that strategy. I would have thought it has far more potential to turn off bidders than it does to attract bidders.

Where were the estimates posted? I don't get their newsletter nor have I seen a press release touting their books, but I suspect they don't provide estimates for but a few of their key items.

If you'll look at the Heritage Catalogs, you'll note that they stopped putting in any estimates a couple years back. If they were trying to manipulate you with estimates they are doing a pretty good job of disguising it.

Within Heritage and within the auction business in general, there's two schools of thought about estimates. Some feel that higher estimates help eductate/inform/manipulate the customer to pay more for an item. Others feel that no or low estimates actually produce higher prices because it encourages more bidding as people think they may get a bargain. This second group won out for Comics -- hence, the estimates have been removed from the catalog -- save for the Overstreet prices.

Thanks Adam, I agree with everything you said, particularly about the better transparency in Heritage's reserve procedures, and I was really puzzled with action1kid's references to "estimates", because my recollection was the same as yours. I genuinely don't recall seeing any estimates for ANY comics in either the catalog or on the website.

Here's the way I see it.

I honestly think that dealers will probably stay away from these books, as they don't know who the next buyer will.

The market for GA is definitely different then SA (especially Marvels). Pretty much, you won't see huge bargains on HG Marvel's because a dealer would pick it up. That's not the case with GA (or even SA DC's for that matter).

On the other hand, I still think that dealers would buy nice Timely's all day, knowing that they aren't available that often.

Isn't it obvious what's really going on here? GA prices are softening. The biggest force in the high-end GA market is gone and is liquidating his very nice inventory, flooding the market. Are the buyers in this recent auction dealers? Who knows, but if they are, they're clearly not willing to try to "support" previous price levels.

Steve, as for the SA DC market, I don't dispute your point that the market is thin at the high end. But as for there being no dealers picking up HG SA DCs, surely you jest. My fiercest competition often comes from Mark Wilson, Josh Nathanson, Robert Roter (until recently, but he now seems to be exiting) and every now and then, in a sneak attack, Steve Fishler. And of course in the late SA/BA DC market, Joe Serpico is a market-maker.