• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please grade my TOS 40

20 posts in this topic

Does every copy of this book have Marvel chipping!? Christo_pull_hair.gif

7.5/8.0

I'm not sure about the pen mark on the back.

If it's deep then that will lower the grade some.

Does every copy of this book have Marvel chipping!? Christo_pull_hair.gif

7.5/8.0

I'm not sure about the pen mark on the back.

If it's deep then that will lower the grade some.

nope, i owned a copy that had perfect edges (yes UNRESTORED) but came back a 5.0 because a staple popped during shipping Christo_pull_hair.gif

Anyhow, i'd go with 7.5ish on this book because of the chip....

6.0 sumo.gif

Spine trauma BC, multiple spine creases, overall edge and corner wear - the large chip could take it down to a 5.5 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think the book is too nice for a 5.5....and better than a 6.0 because spine is not that bad....I still stick to my 7.5'ish range maybe 6.5/7.0 if it's really bad...does that make sense? What i mean is if the book in hand is worse than the picture tells....it still looks really flat and tight.

6.0 sumo.gif

Spine trauma BC, multiple spine creases, overall edge and corner wear - the large chip could take it down to a 5.5 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

But I think it's way better than your 5.0. poke2.gif

I agree - a FULL point better! devil.gifpoke2.gif

6.0 sumo.gif

I think the book is too nice for a 5.5....and better than a 6.0 because spine is not that bad....I still stick to my 7.5'ish range maybe 6.5/7.0 if it's really bad...does that make sense? What i mean is if the book in hand is worse than the picture tells....it still looks really flat and tight.

I think you're high sumo.gif

er, I mean a little high there with your grade there fine sir stooges.gif

My experience is that, with rare and inexplicable exceptions, CGC absolutely hammers books for Marvel chipping. With that being said, this book is only missing the single chip, and being below the VF range, the grade probably is only lowered to a small degree by it. I'd guess 6.5 owing to the rough top edge, minor soiling, thin FC shadow line, and multiple spine indents.

Isnt Marvel Chipping kinda taken into consideration because it is a production defect? Not completley overlooked, but taken into consideration.

Pre-chipping is much more favourable than actual chipping. I saw an X men #1 in CGC 8.0 with dozens of tiny tears all the way around the open edges! I even owned a Nick Fury #1 CGC 9.6 white pages with a small chip hanging off the back cover. Once the chip falls off so does the grade....On an otherwise NM book a chip like this may fetch an 8.0/8.5...two chips 7's, and more in the 6's...that's my rough guideline...am I wrong? Anyone? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I know what you mean. It can be so difficult to get an accurate impression from a scan sometimes. Honestly, this book in hand does look a bit more impressive than in the scans.

6.0 sumo.gif

But I think it's way better than your 5.0. poke2.gif

27_laughing.gif I'm sure that David knew i'd find this and have something to say...........

i think it looks much nicer than his 5.0 (which i admit to having undergraded), but probably to the tune of about a 6.0 - 6.5. that BC spine has lots of soiling and noticeable spine indents............still a nice copy of a book that doesn't show up in HG very often............... thumbsup2.gif

BTW; i love it when the forum grades a book and the swings are from 5.5 to 8.0 - just goes to show that beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.............. grin.gif