• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you ever read the letters section of your old comics?

21 posts in this topic

I read the letters all the time from back in the day one that really sticks out in my mind was in the 80's ......it was one of the issues X-men 155-159 that somone wrote in for them to make an x-men cartoon and they responded by saying they were in talks for producing the x-men movie......those were some long talks.

also I was just about to send this spidey #13 off to get graded and was about to pack it up just thought Id take one last look at the pages when I got to the letters section I started to read it people were making great comments on how they loved the last few issues that came out.........then I got to the special announcement section and stan lee said they were coming out with a new villain for #14 THE GREEN GOBLIN....it must have been cool to witness the creations of the early books and get them right off the stand smile.gif ......just some pleasant memories I wish I could have been around for I was born in 1970 so I started collecting in the 80's.

I read all the letter pages for my old Defenders; I continue to do so with Modern books, especially Top Cow books and I enjoyed all the Punisher vol 3 maxi series letters; ever read the ones where the Hulk is responding...too funny! I love letter pages! Too bad DC don't have 'em no more - not that I would go around reading DC anyway wink.gif That's for dam60 smile.gif

No joke and I think about that as well. The 60's were the last Golden Age for America, and the comics just reflected that. Plus, when you read those letter pages and bullpen bulletins, you can tell Stan, Jack, Steve and the boys were having real fun exploring uncharted territory, taking chances and really making their mark.

But as they say: there's nothing like the good old days, and there never were.

Some parts of the 1960's I'd love to take a time machine back to: the open spaces, large yards, cheap housing, and ample employment, but I also love technology like computers, DVD movies and the Gameboy Advance. grin.gif

If only I could find an area with the economic and cultural climate of 1955-65, but with all the cool gadgets of today.. Book me a ticket!!

Recently I was on a trip and I brought along reader copies of ASM 140-150 and I read them cover to cover including the letter pages and the goofy ads: GRIT rules...precursor to Amway and other pyramid schemes wink.gif

anyway the leetters were interesting and talked about reactions to Andru's consistency as an artist and Conway's writing - some felt his stuff was absolute cheese. People were freaking out especially when Gwen Stacy was brought back (later to be annouced as the clone and Spidey had his own clone too in 149!!!). It is interesting to read their reactions to something that happened 3 issues ago, especially when you are reviewing the perspective from years down the road. grin.gif All good fun and another way to fully enjoy your comic reading.

Sorry Bug - I don't know offhand, but I just sent a question to the Marvel office - I hope they answer it. I wasn't aware of a decision to end fan letters in the Marvel Ultimates line? I'll have to check and see when the last one was. Maybe the change came with the different (lower?) quality of covers and cost cutting (less pages) policy?

Darth, I have been a little slow with these boards lately, but I couldn't let your bash against the pure and noble DC comics go undefended!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

DAM

BTW - I too used to love to read the old letters column. Now I enjoy reading the letters in CBG (Comic Buyers Guide).

I was just reading about it..I think it was posted on Comics Continuim, but I'm not sure where I saw it...maybe CSN?...anywho - "not cost effective", and now instead of letters they have an extra page for advertising......said if a great, and genuine letter was submitted it might wind up in a book...

okay found where I read it...I get a thingy in the mail every couple of months called "Pulp Legacy"...it's a small publication ,around 50 pages front and back (like 30-40 copies being made) has articles, stories and things that we all submit...be it about comics, movies, etc....has some decent writers involved i.e Seth Jones, Clay Moore, J. Torres...(some of you might now these names)

I came across this newspaper article, that was photo copied and included in the "Plup Legacy" by Hank Stuever of The Washington Post titled "Comix letters zapped! internet fills void!" Basically it quotes Joe Quesada saying with interent forums and such..there is really no need to post letters in the comics, and it's more cost effective to have that space for advertising.....it does say that only one comic will continue to have letters in it -- "X-Statix" -- want to ask him directly it list a site:

www.joequesada.com

Bye the Bye, anyone intrested in receiving copies of Pulp Legacy or Submitting articles let me know I'll give you the skinny on it

Hey Bug - FYI -I got an answer from Marvel man Ralph Macchio (the Karate Kid? wink.gif ):

Hey Carl. No, no policy change. Most of the books seem to be losing their letter columns unfortunately. Take care.

> ----------

> From: Delacruz, Carl

> Sent: Friday, April 4, 2003 4:16 PM

> To: 'ultimateoffice@marvel.com'

> Subject: Question re: fan letters

>

> Was there a policy change decided to strike out fan letters from

> current Ultimate issues? And why? Just curious as to the facts...thank

> you!

>

> Carl De La Cruz

Hey Bug - FYI -I got an answer from Marvel man Ralph Macchio (the Karate Kid? ):

I've talked to him a few times nice guy, one of the few that answers his email....I don't think he got the joke about being the Karate Kid....at least he didn't let on when I asked him about it......

The one on Green arrow (Sherwood Fourm) was great. Mike Gold the editor let it have a life of it's own. Where most other letter pages were just fanboys saying how great the comic, writer, drawer, was . He let it run wild getting into topics as diffrent as talking about personal libertys, gun control, and, any other hot topic at the time. CHRIS