• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RIP RUSS COCHRAN

12 posts in this topic

We lost a "giant" this week. He played a very critical role in getting comic book art accepted as just that..COMIC ART..his publications were FIRST class all the way. The EC portfolios were to me....amazing. In my many contacts with him and Bruce he was always fair and honest.

His gusty move from a university professor-to comic art publisher was unheard at the time. I salute you...for the many many things you have done to promote comic books, art, and class. A true comic book collector has left us..........

Yes, I heard that earlier this week. Being a fellow EC fan, this is a big loss. I remember buying the Gaines file copies when Russ brought them out for sale.I wish I had the dough to buy more at the time. The hardcover reprints were off the hook. I still have my whole set. Russ was s real pioneer and his contribution and love of the medium will be sorely missed. RIP sir!

R.I.P

Those EC Library sets were at the top of my list as a kid. I would see them at the my LCS and dream about owning one.

When I had my first summer job as a teenager, they were at the top of my list and I start buying them :cloud9:

Edited by Frederic9494

The library sets were so cool that I literally broke up a complete set of originals (I mean EVERY one). I just kept a lot of my favorite ones. I soon realized my mistake and started buying them back again.

Russ’s sets were so beautiful. Were like original art. But I missed the color and there is just nothing like an original. 

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Yes, I heard that earlier this week. Being a fellow EC fan, this is a big loss. I remember buying the Gaines file copies when Russ brought them out for sale.I wish I had the dough to buy more at the time. The hardcover reprints were off the hook. I still have my whole set. Russ was s real pioneer and his contribution and love of the medium will be sorely missed. RIP sir!

That about sums it up for me, as well.  EC fans owe Russ so much.  He brought EC comics back from the dead, for a new generation, and for many yet to come.  

GFC_COA.jpg

RIP Russ Cochran, very sorry to hear this. My being here on these boards today is a direct result of his various EC reprint projects of the 1990s, which started me collecting 1950s comics. Loved his passion for our hobby.

Russ' contribution to bringing arguably the best era in comic books to the attention of new collectors and established collectors alike cannot be underestimated.

One of the most important people in the hobby.

RIP.

Very sad news.

For me, the EC Library hardcover sets are the most important comic book reprints ever published.  I started with Weird Science in summer 81, and was just absolutely blown away by the quality of the stories and artwork.  As a science-fiction fan, still my favourite.  The last comic set I needed to complete my New Trend run was Haunt of Fear, which I picked up in autumn 88.  I had to wait until the early 2000s to obtain the Picto-Fiction magazine collection.  

Despite the absence of Marie Severin's brilliant colouring, the black-and-white, crystal-clear, oversized artwork allowed you to admire the often incredible detail or gothic shading incorporated by the master illustrators in these volumes.

So good.

7 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Very sad news.

For me, the EC Library hardcover sets are the most important comic book reprints ever published.  I started with Weird Science in summer 81, and was just absolutely blown away by the quality of the stories and artwork.  As a science-fiction fan, still my favourite.  The last comic set I needed to complete my New Trend run was Haunt of Fear, which I picked up in autumn 88.  I had to wait until the early 2000s to obtain the Picto-Fiction magazine collection.  

Despite the absence of Marie Severin's brilliant colouring, the black-and-white, crystal-clear, oversized artwork allowed you to admire the often incredible detail or gothic shading incorporated by the master illustrators in these volumes.

So good.

I cab remember waiting and waiting for that first set to arrival...and when it did...it blew me away....what an achievement.