• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Art Storage/Display?

16 posts in this topic

Does anyone use the Itoya Art Profolio or Profolio Evolution? Any feedback on this? I'm thinking of buying one and they seem ideal to store art in.

http://www.itoya.com/Catalogs/Profolio/Profolio_html/Art_profolio.htm

http://www.itoya.com/Catalogs/Profolio/Profolio_html/Art_profolio_Evolution.htm

Thanks.

-Tom

They arent' archival but you can put the art in mylar sleeves, then in profolios to make up the difference. Dan

They say on their webpage that they're archival safe, acid free and PH neutral so I'm not sure what the additional mylar accomplishes? I checked them out today at the art store and nearly bought one but decided to get some feedback here first. Each page is a sleeve to put the page in.

The additional mylar probably does not provide that much extra protection, you are right.

However, me, I am extra paranoid, so I like the extra bag, so if I want to take the art out of the portfolio, I have it already in a mylar, plus I just love the way art and comics look in mylar, so that's why I like it smile.gif Specially if you're going to put pricier pages, what's an extra $2 for a mylar bag?

No no I agree with you wholeheartedly. I just thought there was something the mylar was providing that I was missing from these portfolios. smile.gif

They're only 19.00CAD so they're probably like 15.00US. I'll pick one up shortly and post back here how I find them. I hope they work out well as they seem to offer some protection for storage as well as a convenient way to show them off.

Where do you buy the mylars to fit your art? Do you get them directly from egerber.com? I am looking for the best way to order those...

I guess the good thing about art is that you only need the bags, not the boards smile.gif

Bill Cole sells them.

It doesn't matter what they say- polypropelene is NOT archival. Check out any of the sites that sell mylar or the library of congress, there are only certain materials that do not degrade and mylar is one of them. If you are storing $15 pages, the portfolio is probably fine- but if you are putting artwork that you care about and will have for a long time then mylar is the only way to go. sign-rantpost.gif

It doesn't matter what they say- polypropelene is NOT archival. Check out any of the sites that sell mylar or the library of congress, there are only certain materials that do not degrade and mylar is one of them. If you are storing $15 pages, the portfolio is probably fine- but if you are putting artwork that you care about and will have for a long time then mylar is the only way to go. sign-rantpost.gif

Of course your argument about checking the sites that sell Mylar is moot. Checking any site that sells something is of course going to tout their own product as the best and in searching, only mylar sites said anything bad about polypropolene as I expected.

Also I was able to find that Polypropylene is considered an archival safe material by the Library of Congress. However, thanks to this discussion I've done some more reading to educate myself and they seem safe to me (see below). I'll be picking one up.

A quick Google search turned up this about polypropylene.

Polypropylene - is it archive safe?

Polypropylene is recognised by the Image Permanence Institute of the USA and the National Archives of Australia as having passed the "Photographic Activity Test" which is the supreme check for archival quality.

Polypropylene is considered an archival safe material by the Library of Congress.

I found a link on the Library of Congress site itself that they use Polypropylene to archive adhesive labels:

http://www.loc.gov/preserv/supply/specs/700-711.html

The LOC also used Polypropylene as part of the housing for the Dead Sea Scrolls so I guess they're ok for my comic pages.

http://www.loc.gov/today/pr/1993/93-049.html

Also from the LOC website:

http://www.loc.gov/preserv/treasurebrochure.html

Polyethylene, polypropylene, and polyester film (often called Mylar™) are used to produce good quality enclosures. Plastics such as polyvinyl chloride (PVC), which are chemically unstable, should be avoided.

I use the Itoya portfolios to hold the majority of my art. The pagesin the portfolio are not 100% archivally safe -- they are 100% acid free at the time of manufacture -- don't be fooled. Everything that I have in one of those portfolios gets put in a mylar... period. I don't care if it's a $10k page or a $25 page.

I order my mylars from Gerber and am completely satisified with them.

On a side note. If you are buying a lot of consecutive pages (like westform), double page or large art I recommend getting the really large porfolios (18x24). These will easily fit large art and you can store your double pages without folding them in half. It's also cool for consecutive pages because you can do a 2x layout and present them like the appear in the book. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.