• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turtlemania 1 Blue label or Green label?
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Hey all, looking for advice and/or opinions.  I have a copy of the Turtlemania Special #1 Silver Edition from 1986.  This was the one that was numbered to 100 and signed on the back by Laird and Eastman.   Currently it sits as a Blue label 4.5......I'm considering sending it back in and asking for it to be regraded with a Green label (unwitnessed signatures would be the reason why it would get the green of course).  Everyone that knows this book knows that it is legit and to me I would be totally OK with the green label because it's not a missing page, missing MVS etc.  It would be green simply because of the sigs and the number on the back.  I know based on grading history the grade would go up with the green, but I'm on the fence as to what to do.  It's a book that really never comes up for sale or is seen so it's not like I have a wide variety of choices to base any comparisons to.  And yes I am asking because if (when) I go to sell it will people frown on the green (again tho - it's not a missing page or anything).

I guess I'm just asking what are people's thoughts about a green label if it's for something like this....a book signed well before CGC was a company thus impossible for them to witness the signing.

24 minutes ago, Wadezky said:

Hey all, looking for advice and/or opinions.  I have a copy of the Turtlemania Special #1 Silver Edition from 1986.  This was the one that was numbered to 100 and signed on the back by Laird and Eastman.   Currently it sits as a Blue label 4.5......I'm considering sending it back in and asking for it to be regraded with a Green label (unwitnessed signatures would be the reason why it would get the green of course).  Everyone that knows this book knows that it is legit and to me I would be totally OK with the green label because it's not a missing page, missing MVS etc.  It would be green simply because of the sigs and the number on the back.  I know based on grading history the grade would go up with the green, but I'm on the fence as to what to do.  It's a book that really never comes up for sale or is seen so it's not like I have a wide variety of choices to base any comparisons to.  And yes I am asking because if (when) I go to sell it will people frown on the green (again tho - it's not a missing page or anything).

I guess I'm just asking what are people's thoughts about a green label if it's for something like this....a book signed well before CGC was a company thus impossible for them to witness the signing.

•  

You have to find out why it is a 4.5. Is it beaten to hell?  If so, it may end up in a 4.5 Green label.  Experience tells me that the signatures would not put that book at 4.5. Look before you leap. I would probably end up cracking it out before I regraded it.  Maybe post a picture of front and back so we can look at it.

All things being equal, I would Green label that book, but not in the scenario you have described without seeing it.

31 minutes ago, Wadezky said:

Why is it 4.5? Grader notes?

There's the notes...all I was thinking really is that if it gets lets say a 6.0 green label - it's a higher grade than what it currently sits at and people that know the book wouldn't care that it's green because of the sigs.  

Based on those grader notes though who knows what the grade would become.

33 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

Personally I don’t think it’s worth reslabbing. Odds are it comes back 4.5 green. Doubtful even a 6.0 green would make it worth much more than it presently sits. 

Appreciate the feedback - especially with adding in the fees it would be a wash at best even if it increases

12 minutes ago, seanfingh said:
24 minutes ago, Wadezky said:

Appreciate the feedback - especially with adding in the fees it would be a wash at best even if it increases

It's the spine split that causes the grade.  Leave as is - still very cool!

Detached staples aren't helping either. Even if you press out the creases and don't damage the spine split or staples even more in the process, I can't see this pulling a 6.0. Listen to Mr. Fingh and leave it.

1 hour ago, Wadezky said:

Cool...great advice all, I appreciate it!  Leaving it as is!

Wise choice.