• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Midtown Madness
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I would just like to ask if anyone has had problems with Midtown Comics shipping ?

I live in Europe and have just received a limited edition March 2020 issue comic from them in a Flat Rate Envelope and the comic inside is damage and virtually worthless. I note this issue was raised in the CGC Forum back in 2016 and Midtown are still sending out international deliveries in this manner. There was no attempt to protect the comic comic in any way. There was no boarding, as is normal for the industry, for protecting comics from bending in transit and handling. All my previous purchases from USA have been well protected in this way. My comic which cost me a total of $81, was sent in its poly bag and board within just a brown paper bag inside a floppy USPS Flat Rate Envelope. What sort of protection and customer care is this ? The comic was a mess and had numerous color break stresses all up the spine.

Midtown have responded and have fallen back on their website statement that says,, "some damage may occur using a flat rate envelope, but they have generally found it to be a QUICK and SAFE method of shipping and rarely get complaints". I am taking issue with them on this, based on an apparent lack of regard in packaging the comic in a suitable and protective manner, regardless of it being in a Flat Rate Envelope. It seems to show a total lack of consideration from what should be a knowledgeable and experienced comic company. 

I would be grateful for any advice anyone can give me on this and what I should do, I'm now considering stopping the credit card payment and returning the item to them, as they have dismissed the matter as 'not their problem'.

1.  Call them out on social media, including twitter, instagram, and facebook.  Show pictures of the comic, the envelope, etc.

2.  Attempt to escalate the issue to higher levels at Midtown if you haven't already.

3.  Contact your credit card company.

4.  In America, most cities have something called a Better Business Bureau, see if NYC has one and see if they have any suggestions for you.

In all cases, make sure you present all the facts of the case EXACTLY right, including dates, prices, addresses, names, ALL COMMUNICATIONS YOU'VE HAD THUS FAR.  Make sure your emotions don't cause you to make accusations that are exaggerated or unfounded, which isn't to say you shouldn't aggressively fight for what you believe is right.  (but there's a difference between saying a "company has terrible customer service and issue resolution" and a company is a "scammer and cheat" although certainly a company can be both as well).

Good luck.

5 hours ago, Colin Nash said:

Midtown have responded and have fallen back on their website statement that says,, "some damage may occur using a flat rate envelope,

Not saying they're right for how they shipped it but, you took a gamble. Win some , lose some 

38 minutes ago, Deadpoolica said:

Not saying they're right for how they shipped it but, you took a gamble. Win some , lose some 

I'm not sure I agree with this. The OP did not take a gamble; he entered into an acceptable transaction, and the seller dropped the ball. The OP should not be vilified, as, from my POV, he did nothing wrong. Midtown Comics should make this right, but, from the original post, it's clear that they have no intention of doing so.

Contact your credit card company and dispute the charge. But also, never order anything from Midtown Comics again.

28 minutes ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

I'm not sure I agree with this.

You don't have to but, they have it clearly laid out on their website it says:

"Please note that Priority Mail International Flat-Rate Envelope orders are by necessity shipped in an envelope, not a box, and therefore may arrive with damages we cannot be held accountable for"

36 minutes ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

The OP did not take a gamble

The buyer is accepting that when making an international purchase from this company the item may come damaged & Midtown will not take responsibility for damage so it is a gamble

I DO  think Midtown should make this right for the OP, all I'm saying is they technically don't have to  

40 minutes ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

never order anything from Midtown Comics again

100% agree

Just because they say that it's going to be shipped in an envelope doesn't absolve them of the responsibility to adequately protect it. There's been a radical new innovation in comic protection called "cardboard" that apparently hasn't made it to backwaters like New York City.

4 hours ago, october said:

Just because they say that it's going to be shipped in an envelope doesn't absolve them of the responsibility to adequately protect it. There's been a radical new innovation in comic protection called "cardboard" that apparently hasn't made it to backwaters like New York City.

Best post ever

5 hours ago, october said:

+100%

On 3/6/2020 at 10:22 AM, Colin Nash said:

Midtown have responded and have fallen back on their website statement that says,, "some damage may occur using a flat rate envelope, but they have generally found it to be a QUICK and SAFE method of shipping and rarely get complaints". I am taking issue with them on this, based on an apparent lack of regard in packaging the comic in a suitable and protective manner, regardless of it being in a Flat Rate Envelope. It seems to show a total lack of consideration from what should be a knowledgeable and experienced comic company. 

I would be grateful for any advice anyone can give me on this and what I should do, I'm now considering stopping the credit card payment and returning the item to them, as they have dismissed the matter as 'not their problem'.

It really bothers me when I read about transactions like this---customer service should always be a top priority. C'mon man...   doh!